[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

equipment and starter tips

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: shutterstock_1273653.jpg (17KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
shutterstock_1273653.jpg
17KB, 600x400px
TL;DR Should I buy a belt and wrist straps or wait?

I just started doing SS two days ago. I have a base of about 2 months of base strength, but a lot of it has been on machines. This is because I live in Brazil (I'm american), where part of gym employees' jobs is to design workouts for trainees. They are fucking busy-bodies. Nice people. But busy-bodies. I was doing power cleans and my personal trainer who had me doing machine bicep curls was hovering around me.

My gym is very much geared toward older people with money and women who pay $60 a month to use the fucking treadmills, when there is a beautiful two-mile waterfront boardwalk across the street.

ANYWAY I am now teaching myself proper from for Starting Strength and after just one day, I already love it more than anything I was doing before.

On my first day I was squatting 50kg (110lb), benching 50kg and power cleaning 50 as well.

Should I be using a belt and wrist straps or any other equipment? If it would help me with my form, I would definitely use it. Is there any other equipment I should use?

The stuff isn't very expensive. But also I don't want to look like a jackass using a bunch of equipment if I don't need it.

If it's important, I'm 6'4" (193 cm) 93kg (205 lb) and I consider myself skinnyfat.

Any other tips for me?
>>
>>42365196
Buy a squatplug
>>
>>42365196
You should always have a belt and wrist straps.
>>
Dont but either of these.

I squat 100kg without a belt.

And deadlift 140kg without straps.

Stronglifts is better than SS imo, but powercleans are great too.
>>
>>42365465

That's... That's not really impressive numbers, OP will be able to hit that within a few months, even faster if he gets a belt.
>>
I'd avoid wrist straps as long as possible to help build grip strength. Chalk works wonders.

I like having a belt, but only use it on the heaviest or high rep sets.

Basically warm up without it and use it for triples. If you have a trap bar try 20 rep deads in place of the 20 rep squat challenge. That's a fun one...
>>
>>42365396
Don't forget the gloves, you little bitch
>>
>>42365196

You don't need any equipment yet my man, just worry about building that foundation.

Maybe in a year or so come ask for some suggestions in the /plg/
>>
>>42365196
If your gym has a belt (which I doubt judging by your post) you can try it out when you have trouble with your squat, but I wouldn't buy one.
You'll be much better off training your core and learning how to breathe and brace properly instead. As a new lifter that's infinitely more useful to your strength and longevity.

Get chalk if your gym allows it.
>>
>>42365196
Get SHOES.
That's way more important than a belt or straps.
A cheap nylon belt will serve you better than a leather belt (leaves more mobility for exercises like cleans or front squats), and you can diy straps if you want to, but you don't really need either yet. Straps in particular, if you can work on your grip instead of using them... do.
>>
>>42365864
t. dyel
>>
>>42365465
This. After a couple of months of squatting with a belt I was able to squat 145kgx5 with a belt and 130kgx5 without one. My deadlift max is 160kgx5 with belt and 150x4 without a belt
>>
>>42365196
In order of importance
>CHALK
>Squat shoes
>belt
>Flat shoes
Power gap
>Straps, wrist, elbow and knee wraps
Power gap
>Neon compression pants, stringers
You deserve to get hit by a bus
>Gloves
>Altitude mask
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.