[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is calisthenics any good?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

File: 50.jpg (337KB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
50.jpg
337KB, 1500x1000px
Trying to lose weight and get into shape, I can already do about 240 push ups, 240 sit ups, 30 pull ups and some back muscles (?) per day. Is it any good or am I just wasting my time? Any tweaking recommendations?
>>
>>42359110
gib milkies
>>
>>42359110
Sit ups are a useless exercise and if you want to build strength and not just endurance then you need to start doing more difficult variations than just shitting out a bunch of push ups

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqPe_iAm8lI
>>
>>42359238
>1:15
>1:48
>2:10
>3:41
>4:27
are total garbage. Half of the rest are cardio push ups. The other half are explosive push ups. And like 3 or 4 are good and non-explosive.
>>
>>42359167
Moar milk.

>>42359238
>>42359359
Basically my sit up routine is following:
normal sit ups
crunches (I do mostly these)
"cycling" (similar to crunches except with alternating side and legs)
"plank scissors (lying on my back, heads and legs off the ground and moving my legs horizontally in a scissor-like movement)

I used to do the plank exercise and keeping my abs and body stiff, usually for 1-1,5 minutes, but dropped it out.

I'll look into different push up variations in the future though, thus far I've only made them with a wider and narrower grip (bit like the diamond cutter in the video). I take it they should be explosive? Is it the same as doing them fast but with a good form?
>>
>>42359110
don't do any crunches or sit ups or any ab work on the floor (except for v-l sits). do leg raises on a bar and/or dip bar instead, as high as you can go. hit 12 reps then progress your ab work

do a shit ton of pushups and pull ups everyday but before you exhaust yourself with the hundreds of reps, do at least 2-3 sets of the most difficult variations per muscle group you can do at the very beginning of your work out. like one handed pushups, archer pull ups, one arm hang leg raise, etc. (and make sure you progress them)

there are also skill work like planche, front/back levers etc but i hope you switch over to classic lifting once you are ready to get started on working on the skills. calisthenics is GREAT but the barbell and the dumbbells are significantly superior.

i'd say make handstand pushups your goal (you dont need to be able to hold a handstand but if you can or will be that would be great. just use a wall if you dont want to learn the free hs, facing the wall ofc) and do a lot everyday, only way you'll emulate something like the "yoke".. pull ups and hspu's.

also full body everyday, or every other day!!

ps. muscular/structural exercise won't get you lean, cardio will (but make sure to eat when u do calisthenics)
>>
>>42359923
forgot to add: don't bother with leg work if you have access to weights, if you want. but if you don't want to skip leg day do lots of jumping squats (jump with as much force as you can in every single rep, dont save energy to hit a specific rep range) and explosive pistol squats (same thing as last parenthesis)

combining weightlifting and calisthenics is best, complement what calisthenics is missing

also handstand shrugs
>>
>>42359997
i meant to say "if you don't have access to weights yet and will work on the legs with weights later*****" shit
>>
File: Anri_Sugihara_150313_014.jpg (77KB, 560x373px) Image search: [Google]
Anri_Sugihara_150313_014.jpg
77KB, 560x373px
>>42359923
I already do SS-type of routine 2-3 times a week if that is what you meant with classic lifting (have a barbell and bench at home). I usually do calisthenics after SS or other training, like jogging or BJJ, that I happen to be doing. I used to do more minor exercises along with my SS-routine, but some people said they were useless and that I should just focus on the SS-routine.

Completely forgot about the handstand push ups and handstand shrugs, gotta try those.
>>
>>42359662
crunches are good.
cycling is a meme, it's as good as crunches.
scissors is probably garbage, have to try it out.

Hollow body hold, Arch body hold, Side arch body hold, Hanging leg lift, V-to-L leg lift are the best beginner to intermediate abs exercises.

push ups are good, but dips is what you want to be doing. wide grip and narrow grip push ups are memes. Explosive exercises are not needed in the start. You want control and strength.

>fast with a good form
fast push ups are garbage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IODxDxX7oi4
>>
File: 1501561345924.jpg (71KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1501561345924.jpg
71KB, 500x500px
>>42359110
Situps are a meme and bad for your back, do planks instead
>>
>>42360207
if you think calisthenics makes you lean, it doesn't so you might be better off focusing on lifting and doing cardio when you want to cut. but it's fun and does have its own pros and benefits etc

>>42360531
crunches do work the frontal flexors, the superficial muscles that make the six pack, yeah.. but i thought he was going to go full calisthenics, so i wouldn't want him doing six pack work instead of working on getting a strong core, you get what i mean

also doing crunches tighten the psoas muscles if you don't know how to straighten your spine while doing them (tilting your pelvis backwards, removing the arch) and this causes anterior pelvic tilt, making the gut hang, posture fucked, etc so naturally i wouldn't advise someone to do hundreds of crunches

grip width does change something, if you get used to the close grip pushup (not the same as diamond pu, no space between tucked elbows and torso) you will prefer those instead of normal ones, really squeezes out the pecs. but yeah wide grip pushups are a meme
look up push up progressions. you are not limited to specific movements too, be creative and shift your weight, decrease leverage etc to adjust the intensity of your movements and so on
>>
I broke my elbow about a year and half ago and got weak as fuck since it took 2 months to heal. Had to get back into with calisthenics. Started w/ wall pushups and horizontal pulls then would increment to different exercises once I could do 3 sets of 30.

My arms got fucking huge by the time I was able to do 2 sets of 20 pushups and looked even better than when I was lifting regularly. I'm only starting to get back into the groove now though. I had my work schedule changed a while back to a really shitty 4-10 and that absolutely killed my ability to workout.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.