[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

PPL, is it worth it?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: 1480807448102.jpg (90KB, 1106x1012px) Image search: [Google]
1480807448102.jpg
90KB, 1106x1012px
I set up a goal for this year to go to the gym every single day, from 8 am to 9 am before work.

I did SS for 6 months prior to that. Should I go for PPL?
>>
Please don't go everyday, anon.
>>
File: argument.jpg (72KB, 598x792px) Image search: [Google]
argument.jpg
72KB, 598x792px
>>42326645
>>
File: 1486685725189.jpg (13KB, 600x344px) Image search: [Google]
1486685725189.jpg
13KB, 600x344px
Alright. I'm tired of explaining this very basic concept to you folks. So I'm just going to write it out one more time and copy it down for future use

Training consists of two such muscle growths.
>Sarcoplasmic hypertrophy
>Myofibrillar hypertrophy
Sarcoplasmic hypertrophy is when the area around the myofibrils expands while Myofibrillar hypertrophy is when the total volume of myofibrils themselves expand.

To find out why these two types of hypertrophy are evolutionary advantageous. We must consider two such training methods
>High reps, low intensity
>low reps, high intensity
The first produces sarcoplasmic hypertrophy for obvious reasons. Myofibrils themselves are not fatigued, but lack the necessary energy to produce force. This fatigues the muscle fibers because there is no more energy to give to the myofibrils. This provides an adaptation to create more area for which stored energy can stay
The second produces myofibrillar hypertrophy with similar thinking. Myofibrillar hypertrophy occurs when there is not enough myofibrils to produce force. The body hence adapts to make the myofibrils longer and create more of them.

Now, we must understand what is necessary for athletes to create as much muscle as possible in a small amount of time. Sarcoplasmic hypertrophy is an obvious answer because myofibrils are more difficult to attain. And in any theoretically setting, you'd be right to train solely for sarcoplasmic hypertrophy. However, reality is not theoretical. This is for two reasons

The amount of myofibrils that are gained in sarcoplasmic training are limited. However as myofibrils grow in size, the sarcoplasm inside a muscle fiber HAS to increase alongside the myofibril.

Also, novices are unable to push themselves at the rate required of optimal sarcoplasmic hypertrophy. A simple routine such as SS pushes novices to increase weight every session to force myofibrillar hypertrophy

Never take advice from first year lifters. They don't know shit.
>>
You can lift everyday, just have to program your shit correctly to avoid burn out/joint issues.

That said, stop asking questions like this on here, just fucking do it and see how you go.

I've seen people respond well to the most retarded kind of training methods so really anything fucking works so long as your body responds to it.
>>
>>42326652
Hey, thanks for this dude. Where can I learn more?
>>
>>42326672
If you want in depth knowledge of muscles and exercise, look up kinesiology textbooks. Had a list somewhere with recommended authors, think I lost it

If you want less in depth but still scientific answers, learn to use https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
I recommend just to use Google to search the site
IE
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22518835

But really man point you should have taken away from it is that novices (individuals who are able to make linear progression with enough calorie surplus + rest) can make very good progress in a strength based program (because they don't have the mind/muscle connection intermediates have). But people who are intermediate have can do whatever program

Whatever you do, don't quit powerlifting because some anon on /fit/ says you'll be fat. Quit powerlifting if you want (as a intermediate), but do it for the right reasons
>>
>>42326746
Main*
>>
>>42326746
if you include all major compound movements in your PPL workout, does this mean you "quit power lifting"?
>>
>>42326652
This is broscience with zero evidence
>>
>>42326815
Well that's just a matter of interpretation. I'd say if you really want to get good in powerlifting (or if part of you just wants to get strong in general), either do the Texas Method if you're feeling brave enough to do so. Or do the four day split as recommended in Practical Programming

Otherwise if you don't care that much for strength and want to get swole (as an intermediate), do ppl

>>42326821
Man. Had no idea I was graduating with a major in broscience. Shit dude. What am I going to do now?
>>
>>42326873
the problem I have with "do PPL", is that it sounds as if doing anything as long as it's "PPL" will get you swole. But there are tons of different programs, and no guidance on how to choose one of them.
>>
MONDAY/THURSDAY
Bench 3x5
Bench 5x12
Press 3x5
Press 5x12
&
Inc Bench 5x12
Lat Raise 5x12
Close Grip Bench 5x12
Ab Wheel 5x12

TUESDAY/FRIDAY
Deadlift 3x5
Deadlift 5x12
Row 3x5
Row 5x12
&
DB Curl 5x12
Pullup 5x12
Wrist Roller 5x12
Chinup 5x12
Ab Wheel 5x12

WEDNESDAY
Squat 3x5
Squat 5x12
Calf Raise 5x12
Ab Wheel 5x12

What does /fit/ think of my homemade PPL? I've plateaued horribly on 3x5 only and am just getting fat while not being able to increase the weight, so I figure my mind-muscle connections are pretty good now and I need a hypertrophy program.
>>
>>42327092
Absolutely abhorrent
>>
>>42327092

Why is there only one day of squats?
>>
>>42327261

Because I don't enjoy doing them and they are not particularly relevant to my goals.

>>42327256

Why?
>>
>>42326943
Which is a failure of ppl. There's often no name behind them and can often be there's absolutely no set of rules as to progression or calorie intake

If you still have a problem like that you're probably still a novice so keep doing starting strength
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.