[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Meditation

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 5

File: buddha+images+new[1].jpg (115KB, 960x672px) Image search: [Google]
buddha+images+new[1].jpg
115KB, 960x672px
I'd like to start compiling information on mental gains. Does anyone have any resources they've used successfully?
>>
File: 1001004000780654.jpg (55KB, 550x840px) Image search: [Google]
1001004000780654.jpg
55KB, 550x840px
>>42317499
I try to meditate daily, sometimes twice daily (sometimes I forget tho lol) but I feel like I am actually getting better at it. I do 15 minutes and usually takes around 5-10 minutes before I can fully focus but it's really hard at first.

I read this book which is what got me into this along with a friend recommending meditation to me. Its an easy read and I would recommend you start there. Vipassana is not that 'spiritual' as compared to other meditation technique it's very simple and basic but all you need.
>>
File: 1448427770967.gif (2MB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1448427770967.gif
2MB, 500x500px
>>42317499
Depends on what you want to get out of it. Meditation takes no specific form of belief system or religion. I've been meditating on and off for around 6 years. I'll go months and meditate twice daily, and then I'll have a month where I don't do it at all.

Just starting out I could recommend listening to Alan Watts, as he's more of an entertainer than anything. Puts a fun and whimsical spin on the activity and mindset behind them. If you want an absolutely incredible book I would recommend:

The Mind Illuminated by Culadasa (John Yates).

I've read many novels by Alan Watts, Sri Ramana Maharishi, and work of Sadhguru (Inner Engineering) and more. Again, although my approach is a little more spiritual, it's all about what you want to get out of it.

I don't need near as much sleep because of cultivation of deep states of rest, and Jhana is pretty fun too. Also, I used to have really bad manic episodes from bi-polar, and over time and stopping the medicine I no longer have any issues. Took a year or two of dedicated practice but the change in myself is astonishing, especially according to my peers.

They say if you can't sit for 10 minutes, sit for an hour.
>>
>>42317499
There is literally only three steps to meditation
1)observe all sensation and thoughts
2) accept them. Don't push them away

Done. What ever experiences come up, whether it be vast amounts of empathy or bliss, DONT FIGHT IT. Eventually, when you get good you will have no thoughts and you will easily maintain the good sensations that come from meditation.
>>
>>42317499
Download the Headspace app

Its a good way to start learning meditation
>>
>>42318245
opps 2 steps.

btw patience is related to being able to accept your sensations. So it isn't a coincidence that people who meditate a lot are patient, and when starting out you will be impatient
>>
>>42318226

The Mind Illuminated is the best damn book ever. Wish everyone read it and applied everything religiously for a year or two.
>>
File: 1457315594479.gif (1MB, 460x607px) Image search: [Google]
1457315594479.gif
1MB, 460x607px
>>42318272
>>42318245
>>42317499

I'm this guy: >>42318226

To explain what he means, just relax and breathe, if things happen they happen, if they don't they don't. Staying in the present moment and (being) is what he is telling you. Everyone overcomplicates it.

Just be comfortable, don't focus on sitting a certain way. Just be there, and want to do it. If you get tired it is one of two things, A) you are getting lazy and want to leave, in which case keep sitting. B) you are tired because you chose to meditate after an exhausting day, go to sleep.

Any questions, shoot.
>>
File: 1457315988028.gif (237KB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
1457315988028.gif
237KB, 600x338px
>>42318285

Couldn't agree more. Arguably some of the hardest things to grasp are those which you cannot physically understand. It takes due diligence in order to sit down and make it happen.

I love how the book literally illustrates what is happening, why, and what to expect. It's tough to use the english language to describe certain concepts, but they did it. I haven't finished it, but it's a consistent reference especially when I'm helping other people learn.
>>
>>42318262
I've been using it, but I don't want to pay for meditations beyond the intro.
>>
>>42318770

There's a torrent with everything. Just google it.
>>
>>42319076
neat, thanks.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.