[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Powerlifting for Combat Sports

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

Is training for absolute strength advantageous in mixed martial arts/muay thai/BJJ? Some say better takedown power, maybe increased striking force. Or is it too detrimental to muscular endurance to validate the strength advantage? What's your opinion /fit/?
>>
>>42302119
>Both pictures are above the waist
I would do the same if I had the stick legs that Jon Jones does
>>
>>42302119
what specific forms of powerlifting?

deadlifts and squats are infinitely useful in maintaining posture and stability in judo takedowns, i have no clue how it works with BJJ though.

people have a hard time throwing me because i can maintain core strength at the right moments.

then again snatches and clean and jerks i've been doing alot and finding the muscle groups it uses has a tonne of cross-over with muscles used for martial arts.
>>
>>42302200
> i have no clue how it works with BJJ though.

Squats and Deadlifts ALWAYS help in BJJ.
>>
>>42302200
>then again snatches and clean and jerks i've been doing alot and finding the muscle groups it uses has a tonne of cross-over with muscles used for martial arts.
That is because those two lifts are the most useful for any type of sport that involves quick bursts of strength, whether it be sprinting, fighting, or American football.
>>
>>42302253
>sprinting
as a distance runner/occassional sprinter this is absolutely not true.

running though does help conversely with recovery time.
>>
>>42302119

In my experience weightlifting above 150kg becomes a bit pointless in terms of combat sports. In simple terms I'd be far more scared of the guy that has the explosiveness to jump squat 100kg than the powerlifter that's able to grind out a 300kg squat.
>>
>>42302181
He deadlifts 6plate tho.
>>
>>42302500
> weightlifting above 150kg

How, exactly? Squatting 150kg is intermediate tier while benching 150kg is very advanced.
>>
>>42302272
It certainly helps your first strides, what are you even talking about?
>>
>>42302119
Well, being stronger always helps. But keep in mind, you need to maintian your conditioning in order to fight.
As for excersises that translate best into combat sports
1. Deadlifts and squats. Those two little motherfucker translate well into basically everything. You should squat and deadlift.
2. Explosive movements like kettlebell swing, power clean and snatch are important as well, since explosiveness is important af for martial arts.
3. For upper body, well, upper body is actually not that important in fighting, lol. It sure helps to have stronger back for clinching and having stronger arms, but its not particularly important.
>Some say better takedown power, maybe increased striking force
Yes and yes. Your striking power is created in your core, same with takedowns.
>Or is it too detrimental to muscular endurance to validate the strength advantage?
Kinda. You don't wanna spend your whole time powerlifting, you need endurance and you need conditioning.
>What's your opinion /fit/?
As long as doing strength work doesn't interfere with your combat sport training, its good.
>>
>>42302181
>>42302534
What if Jones injects HGH in his calves???
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.