[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sprinting gear difference

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: UsainBolt_BobRamsak-pirancafe.jpg (609KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
UsainBolt_BobRamsak-pirancafe.jpg
609KB, 900x900px
Does anyone know how much faster a track uniform, cleats, and a track surface makes you?

Put another way: if a guy is wearing regular non-tennis shoes, jeans that fit, and a t-shirt and runs down a dry dirt track or a mown lawn, how much faster would he be with the uniform, cleats, and track surface?
>>
bamp
>>
>>42280773
Much faster. Can't give any specific numbers off the top of my head but it's a huge difference.

The clothes track athletes wear are very light and tight fitting, and grant great range of urestricted motion.
Spikes (not cleats) are also much lighter than shoes and tight fitting. Some (I'd say most but I've only used a few pairs) sprint spikes are designed to force you to run on the balls of your feet, which makes you faster. The actual spikes that dig into the track are a benefit because it makes it easier to push forward.
The track surface is also designed to make running faster/easier, just springy enough to push out forward.

t. Ran D1 track
>>
>>42281980
>The clothes track athletes wear are very light and tight fitting, and grant great range of urestricted motion.
>Spikes (not cleats) are also much lighter than shoes and tight fitting. Some (I'd say most but I've only used a few pairs) sprint spikes are designed to force you to run on the balls of your feet, which makes you faster. The actual spikes that dig into the track are a benefit because it makes it easier to push forward.
>The track surface is also designed to make running faster/easier, just springy enough to push out forward.
I know, I'm just trying to get an answer like 10 or 20% faster
>>
>>42281980
What are important gainz for sprinters? I've always heard from various chumps at the gym that "most sprinters have huge deadlifts" etc because of their insane hamstring strength and shit.

Dude who says this is in general a bit of an idiot though so not sure what to think. I obviously understand that sprinters have stronk legs but, yeah.

Also, how often do sprinters "max out" in terms of sprinting?
>>
>>42280773
A lot. In the hundred meters the jeans, dirt track, and shoes combo alone could set you back a whole second if not more.

To be more realistic compare perfect gear with someone on a high school track with running shoes in basketball shorts. The biggest difference would be the cleats, or spikes. I would estimate a good runner saves up to half a second in the 100m with spikes.

Second is track surface. Many elite colleges and training facilities pay millions of dollars for the most up to date surfacing, it makes a difference. When I ran college track there were 2 meets on a really nice track that everyone tried to hit qualifying times on. Lets say .25 seconds in the 100m from surface.

The uniform doesn't make a big difference, fractions of fractions of a second.
>>
>>42282040
You are exactly 23.16% faster with uniform, spikes, and etc. Happy now?
>>
>>42282040
Test it out, if you have the gear.
Do 100m timed on track and on grass, rest, then repeat a few times to get an average.

>>42282042
I can only really attest to D1 track up to the IC4A level, never went further than that.
Better 100m, 200m, runners tended to be strong all around. Hamstrings, quads, and glutes are essential but also so are arms, you can't neglect them. Focusing on driving not only your legs but also pumping your arms is immensely important. You don't want huge muscles that are bulky, you want to be lean and powerful. It's also not so much about lifting a lot of weight, but also about doing it quickly. Doing more weight on deadlift might not be as telling as if you can do a moderately heavy weight but fast reps.
Also, very important that you don't try and get big quick. If you put on too much muscle too quickly, your body won't be able to adapt to it and you'll get slower since you won't know how to run with the extra weight. You want to gradually get stronger while keeping up with workouts.

I can post some weightlifting workouts if you want.

Maxing out in terms of sprinting really depends on your body and training. Sometimes people peak in high school because their coaches pushed them too hard, making then crazy good in HS but not so good in college. Sometimes people peak in college, sometimes later. How long have you been running, what kind of workouts are/have you been doing, how old are you, etc? More information helps.
>>
>>42282266
Sorry I didn't mean to imply that I run/sprint or whatever, I was just curious. Thanks for the info though!
>>
>>42282302
Oh sure, I got you.
Depends on the level, as you higher up, sprinters are more uniform in body type.
At the college level, it's more diverse, some are tall and lanky, some are short and compact, others are a little tall and very strong, and all of them can be some of the best.
Your friend probably isn't completely wrong, but generalizing.
Friend of mine runs a 46 second 400m, is 5'3, lifts less than I do by a decent amount, and is 3 seconds slower. Was in the top 10 of national ranking for 500m for a while, so he's a damn fast guy but not due to lifting a lot.
Granted he'd probably be faster if he was stronger, but it's not the be all and end all.
>>
>>42282042
>What are important gainz for sprinters?
Be born with the right genes and muscle fiber type.

Most sprinter weight training is sub-maximal and done for speed, and often with joint-angle-specificity. A trap bar deadlift is better than a barbell deadlift for a sprinter, marginally.

Lots of full body movements. Push press, powercleans, jump squats, box squats, and lots of core, plyos, and box jumps.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.