[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Assistance Exercises for Muay Thai

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: Muay Thai.jpg (3MB, 2808x1872px) Image search: [Google]
Muay Thai.jpg
3MB, 2808x1872px
Hey fighters of /fit/, i recently stopped going to the gym and have taken up Muay Thai to fill the exercise void. At the end of each session but there is about a 10 minute period where you do whatever you want in the gym, including wights. What exercises should i do in that last 10 minutes or so with dumbbells to so i don't go complete dyel mode? Also what stretches should i do to loosen up my hips for high kicks?
>>
>>42275867
Just try and kick higher on the bag whenever you work on it, I never did any specific stretching other than the basic warm up. I just got more flexible the more I kicked and one day I tried going head height and it worked.

Just make sure you're warm and you've done some stretching to avoid pulling your groin area/inner thighs, I've done it and it's easily done. At the age of 28 I'm more much injury prone.
>>
File: IMG_3045.jpg (106KB, 500x742px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3045.jpg
106KB, 500x742px
>>42275867
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxrqVI9Pxyb_U3k1iK2OPVQ

Stretching for kicks:
https://youtu.be/IQC6Ckd7HIs
>>
>>42275867
>Also what stretches should i do to loosen up my hips for high kicks?
Eh, your coach should have already showed it to you. Our coach makes us do most of our direct static stretching at the end of training.
>What exercises should i do in that last 10 minutes or so with dumbbells to so i don't go complete dyel mode
Well, work on your compound lifts and abs, duh. Deadlifts are the most applicable to all sports, including combat sports like muay thai. For your upper body do rows, weighted pullups and dips, bench press, ohp. Do your lifting in giant sets, it works on your conditioning and thats very fucking important for all combat sports and it saves time.
>At the end of each session but there is about a 10 minute period where you do whatever you want in the gym, including wights.
You can't really do much work during that time, just hit the weight on the days between training muay thai and leave some days to rest. You can do 2-3 days lifting, 3 days fighting, 2 days rest.
>>
>>42275867
Turkish getups and pull-ups
>>
>>42275867
do some type of ab workout like planks or upsidedown sit ups .

MT is god tier and would do it but i had a bad concussion playing hockey and dont want to get hit in the head
>>
>>42276080
P.S You need to keep in mind that lifting will not automatically make you amazing. Technique is very important, so the muay thai work should have priority over lifting. Same for conditioning. In competition being a bigger guy doesn't help you much because of weight classes anyway, so lifting won't win you fights, keep that in mind
>>
>taken up Muay Thai
Stretch. A lot. Find some yoga videos on YouTube, and do that shit before you go to bed every single night. It'll help with your flexibility, and keep you from getting sore.
Also, start running like a mother fucker. You can be less skilled than someone, but still win because you have no quit, and just keep coming. You can have that sort of heart, but without endurance, you can't pull it off. I'm not saying run a marathon a day, but the bar minimum should be around 6-7 km a day.
When doing weights, train for explosivity, and effect, not for looks, or you'll be one huge, stiff cunt who probably couldn't even sway a fly.
Good luck on your training man, I wish I could time travel back to when I was a beginner, just so I could experience falling in love again. There's a bunch of shit I'm leaving out obviously, but your coach should help fill in the gaps.
>>
>>42275867
>What exercises should i do in that last 10 minutes or so with dumbbells to so i don't go complete dyel mode?
if you area afraid of going dyel mode and you started fighting you're probably already dyel mode. but i woudln't doubt you already do look not dyel mode... know what i mean.

>Also what stretches should i do to loosen up my hips for high kicks?
doing that same movement but with less intensity.

you know how a ton of stretching before and during exercise isn't necessarily good for you? well a lot of martial arts and kickboxing gyms go against things like this. they kinda defy these things and you end up getting better. just find out what works for you. ideally you want to do static stretching at the end or before bed. stretching your whole body will help your hip movement and general positioning. stretching the joints can also be important. such as doing a half lotus. or sitting on your toes.

as for the dumb bell thing i'd go for something that uses many muscle groups to help strength gains. my main concern would be to find my muscular imbalances and help train those. if you train let's say 5x a week, i'd go for the same 2-3 lifts twice a week each, if my body could handle it. what may be more beneficial for you as of right now is doing form at the end. just to give yourself that cap, that reminder of how to move. i'd stretch at home. although my stretching sessions last me over an hour. everyone is different man. as for the muscular imbalance thing i'd also stretch pertaining to what AREAS needs more work rather than just what kicks.
>>
>>42276550
>When doing weights, train for explosivity, and effect, not for looks, or you'll be one huge, stiff cunt who probably couldn't even sway a fly.
Yeah. Explosive hinges, power cleans and deadlifts are your best bet. Strong back and shoulders are good too, so pullups and rows and ohp.
>Also, start running like a mother fucker. You can be less skilled than someone, but still win because you have no quit, and just keep coming. You can have that sort of heart, but without endurance, you can't pull it off. I'm not saying run a marathon a day, but the bar minimum should be around 6-7 km a day.
Not a fan of running desu. You can do more endurance work by just doing heavy bags. Plus doing bags builds your technique and it builds your shins. HIIT is also pretty damn good, lol
>>
>>42276618
>you know how a ton of stretching before and during exercise isn't necessarily good for you? well a lot of martial arts and kickboxing gyms go against things like this. they kinda defy these things and you end up getting better.
My coach makes us do most of our static stretching at the end of our training sessions.
>>
>>42276707
good. just don't over stretch on your own time. if i stretch for extended periods one night, then the next day workout, i feel more muscle fatigue directly from that stretching.
>>
>>42275867
Well at the mt gyms in Thailand that I've trained at, it was mostly pull-ups, push-ups, some sprinting, and just general fuckery with neck exercises.

Basically 1 set of 10 pull ups
1 set of 10 push ups
Repeat once or twice
Then ab conditioning like sit ups etc. that'll get you through ten mins easily.
>>
>>42276636
Good point on the heavy bag work, especially on the shin-conditioning, but still, running cannot be slept on. Thais rarely ever gas, and why? Because they are running 12-15km a day.
Now, I should have been more specific when I said "running", but don't be like those dumbasses who go "yeah bro, I run all the time", and they just do a leisurely 4km jog around their neighbourhood.
You can warm up/cool down with a light jog if ya want, like for the first 2 minutes or so, but when you start running, sprint to one lampost, once you get there, run to the next lampost. Rinse and repeat. Hills are also good, so try to find some in your area as well.
But don't ever skimp out on padwork/heavy bag work, even if you aren't feeling up to it, just work your way through it. At our gym, we usually finish up with padwork/heavy bag work. I find that it teaches you to throw properly, even when you are tired, which is invaluable in a fight.
>>
>>42276746
>but when you start running, sprint to one lampost, once you get there, run to the next lampost. Rinse and repeat. Hills are also good, so try to find some in your area as well.
Yeh, HIIT style approach is great. Its applicable to heavy bags too.
>I find that it teaches you to throw properly, even when you are tired, which is invaluable in a fight.
Exactly. Being more efficient at doing the movements you do on the ring improves your results a lot too.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.