[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Amateur Competing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: England-Boxing-finals.jpg (66KB, 768x432px) Image search: [Google]
England-Boxing-finals.jpg
66KB, 768x432px
Any boxer here?

I live in a small country and in a small city in the middle of nowhere. We dont have a boxing gym, boxing isn't that popular in my country. We only some muay thai mcdojo because the growth of MMA/UFC.
Can I become a decent boxer training with these guys or will it be a waste of time?

Now I have two options:

>study boxing as much as possible, shadowbox 4 times a week, lots of mirror work, focus on form/cardio and do very little sparring
or
>focus on 5k running and get into swimming

I'm currently 24 and I would like to compete at amateur level. I believe boxing is more partner depedent (and I have no partner). I fear that even tough I spar regularly somehow in my mcdojo, I won't be as good if I had a boxing partner. Also I plan to stay around 120 lbs (my natural weight) so I'm more technique/speed dependent and even more fucked up by the lack of a proper partner to spar.

With swimming/running all I have to do is set speed/time goals and pursue them. No need for partners or facilities not avaliable in small cities in the middle of nowhere. So I believe it is more suitable for a life long training.
>>
File: image.jpg (45KB, 495x700px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
45KB, 495x700px
>>42253474
Muay thai is alot of fun OP. Of you havw a good instructor you will learn boxing techs on top of muay thai.

Muay thai is an 8 contact sport while boxing is 2. Muay thai is a more realistic version of boxing in terms of self defense. Check it out, unless your really not a fan of getting elbowed or kneed.

If it has to be boxing you need to learn basic forms if you want to practice on your own without cementing bad habbits.
I trained in muay thai with a kru for bout 2 months before buying what i need for home, (heavy tall bag speed ball for fun and two heavy bags). I bought pads and i ask my friends to train with me, they get to catch for me while i practice and in return i show show them basics.

Go network and make some friends!
>>
>>42253504

I think that if your goal is self defense then no problem training at home. In my case I would like to compete... and compete in point scoring oriented events (due to my weight class) something that seems even more dependent on strategy and it seems to me that this strategy can only be developed after years of training with proper partners.
>>
>>42253632
You can compete in like 6 months pf training. Ameature fights are easy to setup cause everyones eager to prove them selves. You can never make it to that level id you are not sparing. I highly recommend you join the muay thai classes if you cant find a boxing gym near by.
>>
>>42253504
How compatible are lifting and MT classes?
I plan on lifting 3 days a week and also attending a MT gym for 3 days a week, and leaving sunday for rest/stretching.
>>
>>42253927
No way. I have MT 3x a week and it impairs even in running.
>>
>>42253474
Threadly reminder that even with light sparring boxing will leave you with permanent brain damages
You can look up studies, sadly, I'm not shitposting.
This is a good sport but no one should do more than 2 years of boxing
>>
>>42253927
I do exactly this, very cool

So its actually quiet hard to maintain the will to lift while doing muay thai. I find myself a little more tired in the gym. I go very early, 6 am to lift. Some weeks I go once because i just need to sleep more in the morning. Muay thai is so much dun, if you have gloves and a bag at home it you will find yourself practicing every day, which is why my lifting has suffered. Im ok way with this, the art is very fun and the cardio was much needed. I find lifting less and less important with every class, but dont cut it out! Try your hardest for 2x a week

Also deltoids! Go heavy and train them for endurance, gotta keep those jabs flying while keeping the hands high
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.