[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

It's Going to Happen

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: fitness-594143_960_720.jpg (137KB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
fitness-594143_960_720.jpg
137KB, 960x640px
Hello /fit/

I'm a university student, and let me tell you, this Summer has been a rollercoaster of how I feel about my body.

I'm not super fat, or super skinny, really beefy or not beefy at all. I'm not super tall, or super short, super hairy, or super bare. All in all, I am literally the most average man in the world. And I (quite recently) used to hate that.

As far as a body goes, next to no one enjoys looking at or having an average body. Media, peer pressure, and basically everything have taught me that society only loves beautiful people, and that physical prosperity means so much more than mental in this world. Because of this, as I said, I hated my body. But over these past few months, with the help of my friends, I got over it. I started taking off my shirt at the beach and pool, started wearing tighter fitting, more stylish clothes. I gained confidence when talking to women and friends alike because I realized that being "average" is perfectly fine.

I have been a lurker on /fit/ for only a short amount of time. At school, I go to the gym more as a social activity; to be with friends and have fun. But that is going to change in a few weeks.

I realized I don't want to be average anymore. Yes its not nearly as bad as it was made out to be, but even with my new found acceptance of my body, I realized I'm just not happy with it and want to get in much better shape.

I organized my classes this upcoming semester to allow myself to have an hours worth of time to go to the gym every day without having to wake up super early, or go super late. I've read tons of beginners guides to weightlifting and cardio, and found myself a good plan that will work for me. I already eat reasonably healthy, so changes to my diet will be minor, but exist. So in two weeks time, I start my long journey to become a better me, and I just wanted to thank you guys for having a ton of research, guides, motivational posts, and everything. So thank all of you.
>>
And just to clear up any confusion: I'm not choosing to wait by choice, I just have no gym anywhere near me when I'm not at school, and not enough money to afford my own equipment. Not trying to procrastinate!
>>
>>42251482
Don't tell anyone your goals.
Don't expect noticeable progress in the first 3 months.
If you are serious about it, you should be do an hour a day of a bodyweight program to build up your discipline.
>>
>>42251498
Since I'm new to weightlifting, I'm starting off easy with weekly progression by increasing intensity. Just really trying to be on the safe side. And thanks for the advice!
>>
>>42251482
Don't be such a sheep, and be so absorbed by the standards of "society"... Looks is NOT the main thing to get people to like you. You can be the most chaddest chad and people can still fucking avoid you, it's really your character that attracts people. I've met a lot of people in my life, super attractive, thin, fat, muscular, fuglies. ... Doesn't matter if you're any of those. Stay hygienic, treat people with huge respect and be happy with yourself. Do what makes YOU happy, don't do it to please other people. By doing so, you WILL attract good people that you wanna keep around, not another vein sheeps with fake smiles.
>>
>>42251566
I know. I was trying to explain how I USED to let other people's opinions influence me, got over it, and now I personally want to be better for myself
>>
>>42251583
Good for u, I'm glad to hear that you got out of that mind set. You gonna make it. I wonder what you look like tho?
>>
>>42251482
First of all, swimming > weightlifting, don't get into the spine-damage meme while you still can. The /fit/ sticky extensively talks about weightlifting, but don't get the impression that fitness is all about weightlifting just because this board is called /fit/; most people here are directionless and choose weightlifting for no reason.

Swimming gives you a nice low body fat toned body that everyone finds hot, whereas gym work gives you an overtly muscular body that only other gym-goers are impressed by.

Swimming gives you a body that doesn't reveal you put work into it, gym very obviously tells people you've been working out and will make them question if you are insecure and if you expect respect for it.

Swimming gives actual long-term fitness and health; gym fucks up your bones/spine and actively reduces general fitness.

Secondly, I used to think like you; everyone respects good bodies, I must work out to earn this respect, etc. - but in reality, the kind of people who's "respect" you earn are terrible people you don't want to do anything, that is, either very basic bros / chavs / whatever you call them in your country, and people obsessed with social status. Not good people.

(it is true that all people value attractiveness, but that means a toned body; having bulging muscles is a sign of social status, not attractiveness, and therefore attracts in the wrong way. Being low-bf and dressing nicely is enough to be attractive to decent people).
>>
>>42251598
As shitty of an excuse as it is, my phone is currently getting fixed for a cracked screen, and I have no pics saved on my desktop. Sorry bud
>>
>>42251605
I'm going swimming on my off days! It's a very simple M/W/F plan, so on Tuesdays and Thursdays I have it laid out so I can do laps at the pool, or do cardio if the pool is closed for whatever reason
>>
>>42251605
>don't get into the spine-damage meme while you still can.
>gym fucks up your bones/spine and actively reduces general fitness.
Bin lifting for 5 years, never had a problem because I know proper form, and my weight that my body can handle, you sound like you didn't know how to properly lift shit. But yes swimming is good, even better if you did both.
>whereas gym work gives you an overtly muscular body that only other gym-goers are impressed by.
Everyone's preference and goals is different, not all people hate muscular look.
>>
>>42251628
>Bin lifting for 5 years, never had a problem because I know proper form, and my weight that my body can handle
Right form or not it still puts unnaturally high pressure on your bones and damages them slowly; after all our bodies were never meant to lift things larger than, say, 100kg.

>Everyone's preference and goals is different, not all people hate muscular look.
I highly doubt that, I've never seen anyone desire more than a well toned body, as well as anyone not be suspicious of your insecurity if they see you have a gym body.
>>
>>42251651
>Right form or not it still puts unnaturally high pressure on your bones and damages them slowly; after all our bodies were never meant to lift things larger than, say, 100kg.
Holy shit. You must think human bodies are fragile little things that are only made to bring groceries and pumpkin spice lattes upstairs. Obviously if you lifted like Ronnie Coleman all the fucking time, lifting 100% instead of 75~85% then yes, you'll have issues down the road. But knowing your weight limit and working with it and slowly increasing the weight to progress on lifts has no issues to your body.
>I highly doubt that, I've never seen anyone desire more than a well toned body, as well as anyone not be suspicious of your insecurity if they see you have a gym body.
I get that you haven't socialized with other people more but dude you cannot be this close minded.
>>
>>42251704
The only one who isn't socialized properly is you: I don't know if you live in a frat or something but decent, polite society (i.e. the kind of people you find in high-end careers and top universities, not in the park) has no need for huge muscular bodies- those only make you look like you are insecure about your body and masculinity, and also make you look obnoxious, as you expect people to respect you for it (which is OP's stated goal) when it is seen as a worthless commodity.

I'll say this again and again: lifting weights does not impress anyone, most certainly not girls who are only more sensitive to picking up on your insecurities, who is worth your time; the perceived societal approval that weightlifters think they are getting is entirely from other weightlifters; it is a self feeding machine here.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.