[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Reps and thier meaning

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: Snapchat-1666123926_1.jpg (40KB, 512x568px) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-1666123926_1.jpg
40KB, 512x568px
Go guys so I'm new hear and I'm a fitness fanatic. I just started about 10 months ago and I've so far lost 20 + pounds I started at 250 and I'm down to 223. I'm always looking for new things to learn in this area and I'm currently stuck on reps and their proper use can anyone help.
>>
File: IMG_1018.png (70KB, 288x288px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1018.png
70KB, 288x288px
>>
That doesn't help
>>
>>42249942
What do you mean by
>Stuck on reps and their proper use
If you do a lot of reps with low weight you will build endurance. Supposedly this is better for hypertrophy as well. If you do high weight low reps you will build more strength but supposedly less effective for hypertrophy. I feel as if training for hypertrophy is different for everyone though and theres no specific way to mold your body like anyone else's. Pretty much all there is to it.
>>
>>42250110
Well I've been doing slot of ready and supposedly I need to start with a few minutes of workouts and add time to them each day. For instance cardio start with 15 minutes for a week everyday then add to it every week after that but I'm not sure if it's the same with weights and the reps to start with. For example I've been doing 13 push-ups rest 30 secs and then I do 2 more reps and that gos for the rest of my weight work outs. Do u get what I'm trying to say?
>>
>>42250155
I think so. For cardio you're spot on but make sure you increase your speed as well as distance. No point in being able to run 3 miles if it takes you 30 minutes. A good consistent milestone is increasing distance by a half mile every time you are able to complete your run at a 6 minute mile pace. For weight lifting its usually better to increase intensity after you reach a good amount of reps though. For example, I increase my weight on bench press by 5 lbs per week if I can do 5 sets of 5 reps without failure. Are you doing strictly calisthenics?
>>
>>42250266
calisthenics¿
I use the cycles some cardio classes and weight classes but I switch gyms so now I'm kinda on my own well kinda I guess I just want to know what I'm doing and not just mimic someone else mindlessly. I think that would make it les boring on someday and keep me focus
>>
>>42250380
You need to read the sticky friend. It will explain a lot more than I can. Calisthenics are body weight exercise, think push ups, pull ups, dips. Go read the sticky and it'll introduce you to weight lifting routines. When more experienced you can change up exercises and create your own routine if you think you need it.
>>
>>42250600
Aww, u r so sweet thank u for ur help. love!
>>
>>42249942
Ok Op, I'm gonna trust you and assume you aren't a fat neckbeard baiting us because he has nothing better to do.

First off, fix your grammar. It's difficult to understand.

Second, reps and sets are a tool in weightlifting to make sure you stimulate and work your muscles. Generally:

>1-3 reps is only advisable if you know what you're doing, you'd know if you did
>3-5 reps with high weight will help you more with building strength
>6-12 reps with as much weight as you can handle for that many reps will focus more on "hypertrophy"; making your muscle more developed
>12+ reps is more for endurance; if you aren't a sprinter or doing some sort of specialized sports routine (you'd know if you were) it's probably not going to help you

Sets are just how we group them. Most routines will be 2-4 sets, but you'll find that 3 is pretty common across the board; if you aren't sure, do 3. Usually you'll also have a rest in between. So for example let's look at my routine; I do 3x6 deadlifts.

What that means is I do 3 sets, each containing 6 reps, for deadlifts.

So I'd do 6 deadlifts, then sit on my butt for 90 seconds until I catch my breath, do 6 more deadlifts, sit on my butt for another 90 seconds then do a final 6 reps.

When lifting, you'll usually find that there is a certain weight where you can complete all your sets and reps with good form, but no more. You'll also probably be a little tired after. That's the weight you should be lifting at. Slowly increase the weight when you can safely; don't push it and don't go heavier than you're able to safely.
Any questions OP?
>>
File: IMAG0636.jpg (755KB, 1836x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0636.jpg
755KB, 1836x3264px
I'm not a guy don't worry but I am late for work for ur help. Hope the pic helps to clarify this and sorry for my bad grammar never been good with it
>>
3-5 reps for strength gain
8-12 reps for hypertrophy
13-20 reps for endurance
>>
>>42250894
this, so be careful, if you're on 5 reps and you don't think you can make 8, just stop, no point wasting a whole set by landing on 6 or 7 reps
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.