[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Now that the dust has settled: Is SS a good routine?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: ss.jpg (17KB, 298x169px) Image search: [Google]
ss.jpg
17KB, 298x169px
Now that the dust has settled:

Is SS a good routine?
>>
File: 18k1sq4hgm9xfjpg.jpg (40KB, 300x292px) Image search: [Google]
18k1sq4hgm9xfjpg.jpg
40KB, 300x292px
>>42224207
It is a good routine if your goal is to look like pic related.

If your goal is to actually look good, you should probably do something else (both training and nutrition wise).
>>
>year 2016 +1
>still posting mark rippetoe memes
>shiggy diggy
>>
>>42224207
Yes
/fit/ judges it too harshly because they expect to do SS for a year and come out looking like Zyzz.

The book is called STARTING Strength.
It's very good for starting out and getting a good baseline of fitness.
After that, you can go sculpt out an aesthetic body from a solid foundation
>>
>>42224301
This and literally only this. Rippetoe himself makes no claim that you will look good and says it will only make you stronger. Its in the name: Starting Strength. This isnt a program for anyone seeking to look good. It is however a good baseline for beginners to understand neuromuscular activity, which can be used effectively on other programs geared towards looks.
>>
>>42224301
>>42224320
>>42224346
What would you recommend for people who are trying to look good? I just started trying to get /fit/ and I've been doing starting strength for a few weeks.
>>
Learn about proper nutrition and lifting techniques. Starting Strength (SS) is supposed to aid you in attaining a "base amount" of strength so you can progress to other workout techniques. You shouldn't use it any longer than you have too.

tl;dr

> Use it to gain a basic amount of muscle (1-2 years), then switch to a more advanced program.
> Be sure to diet properly. Be sure to diet properly. Be sure to diet properly. Be sure to diet properly. Be sure to diet properly.
>>
>>42224509
Look up guys like Jeff Nippard and James Grage on YouTube, they give good training advice for people that want to look good, because they have experience and are scientifically minded.

I'd recommend watching their videos, and using your own reasoning to try to figure out what of what they say makes sense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEE3NSuelOM
>>
>>42224509
Do Starting Strength until you stall out then do PPL until you look good. Don't forget to eat a lot if you are skelly or you won't gain anything.
It's literally that simple.
>>
>>42224646
>>42224592
Thanks for the tips. I've been athletic for most of my life (generally cardio with a medium build) but I'd like to actually put on some muscle and look good plus just feel stronger. The biggest hurdle is finding out which program to use because I don't have the experience to know if it'll accomplish what I want.
>>
>>42224207
Think of programs as tools. A hammer is a shitty screwdriver. SS is better than what most beginners do in the gym because, if nothing else, it gets them to do the big lifts and add weight to the bar. That said, it's an imbalanced routine with poorly thought out deloads, creates a bad mentality in trainees, and lots of Rippetoe's advice is dubious at best.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.