[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it worth it?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: 1499905418859.jpg (105KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
1499905418859.jpg
105KB, 720x960px
Recent highschool graduate here, got kicked out and am living on my own so am a poor fag atm. Despite this I would like to start going to the gym. There's a place right next to my work that charges five bucks for two weeks membership. If that sounds too good to be true, that's because it is.

It's one of those gyms that tries to rope you into contracts and shit, there's a 44 dollar sign up fee if you don't want to commit for a whole year, and theres no squat rack because "it's a 24 hour gym and we can't have people hurting themselves when there isn't any staff in".

However, since I'm just starting out I'm thinking of biting the bullet, paying the 44 dollar sign up fee, and just squatting in a Smith machine. I've heard that Smith machines are bad since they don't train muscles in stabilizing free weight, but is this of utmost importance for a beginner? Would it be reasonable for me to use this gym as a starting off point?

I really wanna start hitting the gym but I can't afford that much. What do you think /fit/?

Pic unrelated
>>
>>42216128
You've got bigger fish to fry than getting a gym membership right now, if $44 is a big expense for you then I would strongly recommend getting your financial situation in a better place and just do calisthenics / bodyweight stuff until you can comfortably afford a real gym, not some bullshit chain.
>>
train your legs by walking 5 miles each day. along your walk, walk into each store and ask if they are hiring. if they say no, continue your walking exercise. if they say yes, then take a break from your walking exercise and apply for a job right then and there. repeat this until your wallet starts making gains, then you won't have to ask stupid fucking questions
>>
>>42216128
If I were in your shoes I wouldn't give up on the idea of working out, but I'd definitely forget about the gym for the time being. Focus on things you can do for free, running, calisthenics, fixing your diet. Get a better handle on your financial situation before dropping money on the gym.
>>
>>42216204
I already have a job nigga, read the op again and maybe you won't make stupid posts
>>
>has a job
>can't afford gym membership
time for 2 jobs
>>
>>42216157
>>42216204
>>42216208
>>42216261
Alright, I think you guys are focusing on the wrong aspect of this question, and maybe that's my bad for how I framed it. I'm not asking for financial advice, I'm asking for technical advice.

I've been doing calisthenics for the past several months and have been running for years, and want to step up from that.

MY QUESTION IS: would a Smith machine be an acceptable stepping stone for the next few months? Obviously I wouldn't jump straight into free weights with the same numbers I had on the Smith machine right away, but is it acceptable to build base strength and mass?

Again, don't want your financial advice, that's why I'm on /fit and not /biz. I may be poor but I'm not fucking dying of hunger or anything.
>>
smith machines just lead to pulled muscles if you try to do benchpress/squats on them. not recommended.
>>
>>42216397
How heavy do the dumbells go? Is there a leg press? What about cable machines? We're missing important information theres no way to tell if it is worth it.
>>
>>42216457
Dumbells don't go over 75lbs, and they're pretty good for machines.
>>
dumbbells will go a lot further than a smith machine.
>>42216397

goblet squats, Bulgarian split squats, regular split squats, lunges, etc all will crush your legs and build crazy stabilizers. I'm sure they have a leg press or hack squat machine there. load that shit up for the heavy quad and glute work mixed with some leg extensions for definition.

that should be pretty much everything for legs.

the "ONLY DO HEAVY BARBELL MOVEMENTS" is a meme perpetuated by fatties and the cultlike followers of a washed up oly coach. dumbbells are GOAT
>>
>>42216397
Is this a planet fitness you're talking about? Even they aren't too bad for beginners. If I recall correctly, from the few I've been too.

>dumbbells don't go past 75 lbs
>ez bars don't go past 60 lbs
>no 7ft individual barbells to deadlift, squat or benchpress
>lots of machines

Honestly, it's not bad if you're into body building. You can train for powerlifting, but you're going to hit your max and not be able to progress, unless you use a Smith machine, but I'm not sure how effective they are. There are other chain gyms that are cheap and better. Retro fitness is a better alternative for about $20 a month, plus fees.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.