[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you learn to reach proper depth in a high bar squat? I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

How do you learn to reach proper depth in a high bar squat? I have no issues going ATG but I know my back rounds from hitting that level of depth, so it can't be good for me in the long run. It's easier for me to just go ATG instead of slightly below parallel because I have issues stopping short and knowing when to explode back up.

Any tips?
>>
>>42206176
Widen your stance, wear flat shoes.
>>
>>42206187
Not OP, but those were the cause of my problems with the squat. Narrow stance and an elevated heel completely cured my squat issues. No more butt wink, no more shallow squats, and no more knee pain.

OP, try squatting with plates under your heel to see if you feel any positive changes and then get oly shoes.
>>
>>42206187
>wear flat shoes
>for high bar squats
L I T E R A L L Y kill yourself and never give advice on this board ever again

>>42206176
Back rounding (aka butt wink) is fine

>because I have issues stopping short and knowing when to explode back up
Lower the weight, take a slow approach when dropping down. When you feel as though you're parallel, shoot back up

Being able to feel when you're parallel and immediately shooting up is known as the stretch reflex. It's important to develop a good stretch reflex just as a habit.
>>
>>42206260
He's going too low you fucking morons.
>>
File: Squat-ass_to_grass.jpg (106KB, 350x326px) Image search: [Google]
Squat-ass_to_grass.jpg
106KB, 350x326px
>>42206269
There's no such thing as too low, brah. ATG squats offer so much more advantages than normal squats
>>
>>42206257
My flexibility isn't an issue, my back rounding is caused by ATG squats. I also have Olympic shoes and squat narrow because those two things fixed most of my issues as well.

My only problem is knowing when to stop without hitting ATG because going ATG makes my back round.
>>
>>42206373
Widen your damn stance, wear flat shoes, and set a box at your desired height. Do not bounce off the box.
>>
>>42206289
Do you compete? No? Then shut the fuck up, goddamn casual.
>>
>>42206400
I'll try the box then.
>>
>>42206416
>why would you deadlift that's for powerlifters and you don't compete
Nice argument there.

"The depth of an Olympic squat should not even be a topic of discussion, but because there has and continues to be discussion among coaches and athletes in sports outside of weightlifting, it warrants at least clarification: proper depth is full depth; full depth means full depth. Full depth is not parallel, it is squatting to the lowest position possible without surgical alteration of body parts while maintaining correct posture" - Greg Everett
>>
>>42206400
>>42206443
That's a dumb idea and doesn't train the stretch reflex

Read
>>42206260
>>
>>42206176
When I was getting into weightlifting my coach (Football fag here) would put the thin 10 pound plates under our heels so we could reach a deeper squat. Eventually you build up the muscle and flexibility and don't need the plates.

Pro weightlifters buy expensive ass shoes with wedges in the heels to do the same thing, save yourself some money and just use plates, inch or less works for thickness.
>>
If you core is tight, lumbar rounding at the bottom of a squat is not a problem. Its just the natural path your body takes in a deep squat and the load is not being transferred to your lumbar spine at all at that point in the lift.

Rouding during a deadlift is different in that the weight is literally the reason the back is rounding and the force is being transferred onto it.
>>
>>42206505
>it is squatting to the lowest position possible without surgical alteration of body parts while maintaining correct posture
Which is not atg for most people
>>
>>42206373
>my back is rounding
>not a flexibility issue
Exactly wrong.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.