[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

let's talk barbells (the bars themselves)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 8

File: wtfisaknurl.jpg (37KB, 800x405px) Image search: [Google]
wtfisaknurl.jpg
37KB, 800x405px
i got a pretty good deal on my barbell set, i think. paid $250 USD for:

2x 2.5lb plates
4x 5lb plates
2x 10lb plates
2x 25lb plates
2x 35lb plates
2x 45lb plates
1x 38.6 (???) lb barbell

the plates are fantastic. minimal, not very pretty, but they serve their purpose well. the bar though? is completely gross. i have no idea why it weighs 38.6lbs but it totally does. and the things on the end that are supposed to spin or whatever? they feel very "loose" and this scares me a little.

so i'm thinking maybe it's time i bought a real bar. so which one, and why? i sat through this long and boring video starring some fat homophobe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nG0eStYs3j0

and learned a fair amount. then i did some more research on my own. but i still have questions.

men's vs. women's bars. women's bars ofc are 25mm in diameter (thickness), with most men's being around like 28.5mm. i'm 5'6" and have always had small hands for a boy or large hands for a girl. working in the medical field i use either medium or large size gloves, never small or extra large. would a men's bar for sure be best for me?

and then i wanted to talk about different bars. the fat homophobe said that rogue is probably the best brand for my price range (max ~$300 USD), which is cool. so i've been looking at the bars and can't really decide between these:

http://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-chan-bar
http://www.roguefitness.com/the-rogue-bar-2-0
http://www.roguefitness.com/the-ohio-bar

the chan bar is cool because it has that center knurl for catching on shirts when squatting. the other two seem basically the same to me, with the rogue 2.0 having the cool bracelets which is definitely a plus. i'd be fun picking out third party bracelets to decorate it with.

chan also has wider spaces with no knurling, for wider deadlifts and things. i'm not sure i'd use them like that as i haven't yet, and i worry that there being less knurling might be a bad thing because oops too long
>>
>>42169116
because sometimes my grip is very narrow, which might just be me doing things all wrong.

so idk. i feel pretty decided on one of these three but it's hard deciding which to go with :O
>>
Hang
>>
Just kill yourself and you don't have to worry about things like this.
>>
File: wanderingson.png (424KB, 956x538px) Image search: [Google]
wanderingson.png
424KB, 956x538px
>>42169267
>>42169299
guys this is not the place or the time for silly pol posts. if you have nothing nice to say please don't say anything at all :)

this is serious fitness thread for people wanting to discuss real fitness things. not hate on vegan trap thread.

okay? :)
>>
>>42169116
as much as i hate you, vegan trap faggot, i bought an ohio power bar and it's been great.
>>
File: wakework.jpg (36KB, 450x640px) Image search: [Google]
wakework.jpg
36KB, 450x640px
>>42169333
why did you opt for the ohio over the rogue bar? they look very similar to me, with the ohio being more expensive.

and why would you waste your time and energy hating someone on the internet? lol :S
>>
>>42169349
i don't waste time or energy on the internet hating someone. it's a passive thing based solely on your name.

as for the bar, the rogue 2.0 is actually more expensive. take a look at the ohio power. there's two choices, zinc coat or bare steel. i bought the bare steel for 250.

reason? price wasn't the issue, since most their bars are in the same price range. i bought the ohio power because of the knurl marks. it has a center knurl for squats as opposed to the lack of one on the 2.0, and it has power lifting knurl marks, which is the proper width that coincides with basic strength compound movements over olympic knurl marks, which are used for, you guessed it, olympic lifts. since i am not an oly lifter, i use basic power lifting marks as my guide lines.
>>
File: image.jpg (55KB, 482x500px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
55KB, 482x500px
>>42169116
>>
>>42169406
oh you're right. wow that's super interesting!

these have the "aggressive" knurls though. do they ever tear up your hands, or clothing? i work hard to keep my skin soft lol. and these are slightly wider in diameter. still not sure if that matters too much for the size of my hands.

are the powerlifting marks where everyone should be placing their hands? even if they're a little smaller than the "average" guy?
>>
I hate that center knurl, why does it even exist? It's fucking useless.

As a manlet who has trained with both types of barbells, women's barbells are easier to grab. But having a men's one won't hurt you. You'll end up getting used to it desu.
>>
>>42169444
that's actually another reason why i bought it.

you only really have to worry about tearing skin if you're doing sumo deadlifts, which would be the same for any bar you get because the knurl is ALWAYS going to be in your way for something like that.

standard lifting develops the standard palm calluses that can be easily filed down with a pumice stone. i like having them because they hurt when they're developing.

the knurl marks are standard marks, men women, faggots, traps, you all hold the bar the same way.
>>
>>42169327
you have to go back
>>
Chan is my favourite

Knurling is a lot finer compared to the others
>>
File: obesitymap.png (65KB, 860x460px) Image search: [Google]
obesitymap.png
65KB, 860x460px
>>42169580

i think i'll go with a men's bar. if i can wear size medium or large unisex gloves that probably means my hands are big enough for men's bars? men seem to have a lot more options too, which sucks but whatever lol.

>>42169613
faggot is a bad word. i do of course have a pumice stone. and one of those battery powered things. never thought i'd have to use them on my hands but i guess it's okay if it means i'm getting fit. kinda wonder why i don't have calluses already.

is there any reason a power or olympic bar would be better than the other for hip thrusts, glute bridges, and the like?

i'm really close to buying that ohio power bar now :)
>>
>>42169678
there would be literally no difference in the type of bar you buy for those exercises specifically.

the reason you don't have calluses is because you don't lift heavy pulls. i can guarantee that. you probably have nothing to worry about in that regard.
>>
Reddit disgusts me.
>>
>>42169580
The center knurl helps the bar grip your back during a high bar squat.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.