[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Good lifting programs for only dumbells?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: Dumbell.jpg (199KB, 2000x1309px) Image search: [Google]
Dumbell.jpg
199KB, 2000x1309px
Starting to exercise at my apartments gym, wanna do stronglifts 5x5 but the gym dosen't have any barbells but has a shitton of dumbells? Does /fit/ have any good lifting programs for barbells only. 5'11,210 pounds.
>>
How heavy do the dumbbells go, and in what increments?

Here's a PPLPPLx with just dumbbells and a pullup bar.

A-Push
>4-6x5-10 OHP
>4-6x5-10 Bench
>3-5x8-15 Skullcrusher
>3-5x8-15Crossover Fly
>3-5x8-15 Triceps Kickback
>3-5xF Lateral Raise
>3x8-15 Wrist Flexion
>2x8-15 Wrist Extension

B-Pull
>4-6x5-10 Pullup
>4-6x5-10 Row
>3-5x8-15 Hammer Curl
>3-5x8-15 Standing Curl
>3-5xF Reverse Fly
>3-5x8-15 W/Facepull
>3-5x8-15 Shrug

C-Legs
>3-4x5-8 Deadlift
>3-4x5-8 Split Squat
>3x8-15 Standing Calf Raise
>3x5-8 Step Up
>3x5-8 Hip Thrust
>3x8-15 Seated Calf Raise

ABCABCx

Some of these exercises are less-well-known.

The W/Facepull is a dumbbell face pull from lying face down on a bench, finishing with external rotation, almost like a double bicep pose.

The Crossover Fly is a low to high cable fly. It's similar to a front delt raise, except you raise the weight up to the opposite shoulder, so it hits more of the upper chest.

I do Hip Thrust as a Weighted Glute Bridge (back flat on floor) with dumbbell on lap, then extend hips up and squeeze glutes.

This routine is not a 5x5 powerlifting linear progression routine. Instead of strictly going up in weight, you should increase the sets and reps and lower your rest time before increasing the weight. Dumbbells progress slower because you don't have the bar helping you out, so you're at a greater risk of injury if you try to lift like King Kong, as you will snap your shit up.
>>
Go ahead and use the dumbells until you reach the end of the rack. As long as you can keep progressing you will get stronger.

Some exercises such as the deadlift or shrugs will become completely halted sooner rather than later because you can move so much with those exercises. :)
>>
>>42168180
They go 1,2,5,10,15,20,25, and then go by 5 til 50 I think.
>>
>>42168257
A 50lb dumbbell in each hand isn't going to get you very far. Would be a lot nicer if they went to 90lbs.
>>
>>42168180
been doing a routine like this for 8 weeks with good results. had similar stats to the OP before beginning. cleaned up my diet too, chicken and broccoli a lot. no bread or cereal or simple carbs.
>>
>>42168180
>>42168290
When you go to the gym do you have this saved so you know what you are going to do or do you just remember it? Also thanks anons i'm going to do this and maybe push for more dumbells
>>
>>42168337
i wrote it down on a piece of paper and drew boxes to put X's in when I completed the workout. it helped with consistency.
>>
>>42168337
Everyone does something different. Personally I have to write down what I'm going to do in order to keep myself on task. I have a steno pad. I put the date and what exercise group I'm doing. I think write the exercises, one on each line. Then I write down the weights and reps as I do them. I never count warmups, just work.

So it would look like this
>OHP [45] x6 x6 x6 x9
This means I did OHP with two 45lb dumbbells for four sets. First three sets were 6 reps, but on the last set I pushed out 9.

The next time I do OHP, I look back and I can see what weight I used, and how many I did last time. I never listen to a number over my body, but my goal is to either do an extra set or add a rep across. Once I'm hitting 12-15 reps, I'm going to try to go up in weight, so long as the increment isn't too much of a jump. If they're too spaced out, I might take the reps up to 20 or 25. Never lift a weight that's too much for you, especially with dumbbells.
>>
>>42168257
Not the most efficient, but you could get gains with dumbbells provided they go heavy enough. That's not heavy enough.
>>
>>42168699
>>42168281
> 50 pound funnels won't get you any progress
>you need at least 90s

God this place is abominable
>>
>>42168071
I'm so sorry that your legs are gonna suck so much
>>
>>42168757
>developing a powerful chest/legs/back with 50lbs dumbbells

If you want to be a curl bro that's fine, but 50lbs will only get you so strong. I mean in actuality push-ups are better for chest than 50lbs db press and harder to fuck up.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.