[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Want to start running, anything I should know before starting?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: fuller.jpg (39KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
fuller.jpg
39KB, 600x400px
Quit smoking about 6 months ago, went on a run for the hell of it the other day and felt good as hell how much better I felt than when I tried back when I was smoking a pack a day and couldn't run for more than a block or two, I want to start making it a daily habit. Should I basically just start running as long as I can every day?
>>
>>42167511
If you want to make it a habit, then make it a habit. Jesus Christ man
>>
>>42167511
Run the least amount that you can hold yourself accountable to and each week, bump it up a minute/quarter-mile.

Also, buy good running shoes.
>>
>>42167647
I own some vibram 5 fingers, I assume they are meme shoes?
>>
>>42167687
Whatever works for you, but I've heard they can fuck up your feet due to the lack of arch support. However, it may be person dependent. There are specialty running stores that can measure your feet and give you some recommendations.
>>
Breath in every two steps out every two steps. If that's too fast at the beginning, start runs with breaths in every three steps and breaths out every three steps, and then move to two steps mid-run.
Get your running gait analysed and buy proper running shoes.
Don't stop immediately after runs. Do 5 minute walks before and after runs.
Don't stretch before runs. You can do it after, but there's not much proven benefit.
Don't go sprinting like an idiot at the end of the runs, or basically at any point. Sprinting and running are two very different things and getting good at one usually means now getting good at the other.
Don't run at paces and heart rates you can't maintain for more than a minute. Running is supposed to be aerobic, and you won't get any better if it isn't.
If you can't run at least 20 minutes non-stop at a sub-8min per kilometer pace, you're best off doing the C25K program.
Finally, the more intensely you do it, the more running can, and will, kill your gains. The benefits are that your heart becomes stronger and your breathing becomes better, your body feels more efficient and life feels more pleasurable. But it's definitely not the type of exercise that will directly improve how you look, and if done intensely can be detrimental to the type of exercise that does.
>>
>>42167511
How old are you and when did you first start smoking?
>>
>>42167511
Just do Couch to 5k

C25k apps are pretty common
>>
>>42167511
one foot in front of the other is a good start.

also just be confident brah
>>
>>42167804
>not much proven benefit
in stretching? you're a fucking idiot who shouldn't be giving advice to anyone. flexibility and joint mobility are extremely important, fucktard
>>
File: 1500223986033.jpg (140KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
1500223986033.jpg
140KB, 600x400px
>>42167511
Been running for a year and a month maybe and I started on the couch to 5k so I can add my voice to that choir.
Most infographics will tell you to stretch before a run, don't. Instead "stretch" by doing the same movement slowly i.e walk for a couple minutes. However you must stretch after running.
Buy a good pair of shoes. They don't have to be the most expensive, best running shoes but they should be made by a decent company. Go to a running store, give them your price range and ask for a recommendation.
At the beginning don't run every day, run every other day, take rest days.
That's about all I got, good luck.
>>
>>42168585
Actually, static stretching before a run isn't beneficial... brisk walking (i.e. dynamic stretching) helps lubrication of joints and with flexibility. Static stretches after a cool down is beneficial.
>>
>>42167511
Running can be very harmful to your joints (knees, hips, ankles). If you're going to do steady state cardio and make that a habit, I'd suggest biking or swimming at least some of the time to give your joints a break.
>>
>gave up smoking 5 years ago -
> replaced the high of smoking with the high of running
> did interval training - fucked up calf for a couple of months (don't do interval training - it's just a meme)
>couldn't run for shit
> 5 years later and 5000k's
> sub 40 min 10k
> sub 3hr marathon

advice for a n00b runner ex smoker

run slow - if you run fast all you will do is tire very quickly and feel like shit.

running slowly - no more than 80% of max heart rate. you will run for miles without tiring. this will burn proportionately more fat than running fast. it will also build up your aerobic base which had a positive and direct influence on you being able to run fast at speed.

do this base training for at least 6 months and don't bother with the fast stuff.

look up phil maffetone and read some of his stuff as this is based on what he has to say (he's an elite endurance trainer)
>>
>>42168821
this is BS - it actually makes then stronger according to some studies:

http://www.runnersworld.com/sweat-science/is-running-actually-good-for-your-knees

just don't wear shoes that have a very high heel and force you to land on your heel. You need a shoe that makes you land on your mid foot so the force is spread evenly. barefoot shoes are even better for knees but they generally fuck up your calves if you run too fast or hard too soon.
>>
>>42168787
very slow run for 15 minutes before and after is all that's needed - stretching is a meme, can cause injury and actually reduces performance in a race.
>>
>>42168585
Why do you ignorant sacks of shit have to be such assholes when seeing information that contradicts what you already know, especially when it's very clear that you're not in any way actually informed about the subject?

So far no research has shown any benefits in stretching before and after runs, and in fact static stretching before runs might actually be causing injury, which is why pros do it less and less each year.
>>
I'm in the gym 4 days a week and on top of work/school I only really have time to run one day a week.

Does running kill your gains? Is there anyone point to running once a week?
>>
>>42167511
Remember to stretch before and after your run helps prevent future injuries
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.