[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hook Grip Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 4

Who here uses hook grip on DL and what weight did you need to start using hook grip to advance your DL? How will my grip strength gains be affected with hook grip?
I've practiced it before but I haven't needed it until now. Today I could barely finish my last set and almost dropped the bar but my back is easily ready for more weight. I'm almost at 3 plate but I can't make it with standard overhand grip so it's time to bring the pain.
Don't tell me about alternating grip or straps, I don't fucking care.
>>
>>42158001
nigga i don't care if you said you don't care about alternating your grip, alternate your grip. the "muscle imbalance" thing is just a stupid meme. alt grip will help you grip easier. also, if you think the dead is only in your back then you're probably doing it wrong. lat activation is important, yes, but try to imagine like you're leg-pressing the weight off of the floor.
>>
>>42158001
Started hooking at 315, had to tape my thumbs at the beginning because it would just tear off all the fucking skin
>>
>>42158013
I know how to DL but my lats are way ahead of my back, so my back is the weak point. I didn't start DLing until I had been hitting the gym for a year because I listened to people who said it was dangerous and at the time I was only lifting for looks.
>>
>>42158013
This.

Dumbass OP, use a mix grip. Im natty and can deadlift 5pl8 with chalk.
>>
File: phatttbar65lbs.jpg (16KB, 800x360px) Image search: [Google]
phatttbar65lbs.jpg
16KB, 800x360px
>>42158001

When I rack pull with the 65 lbs fat bar (pic related),,, I can only double overhand up to 2pls a side.... Then, I alternate over / under as I increase the weight.

Depending on how my thumb joints feel (my employment--- long story), and my bicep tendon, I try to hold the bar for a count of three.

>I don't have large hands at all.
>>
>>42158001
Started hooking at 315, had to tape my thumbs at the beginning because it would just tear off all the fucking skin
>>
>>42158013

I tried alternate grip it sucks. Seems like only downside to hook grip is the pain and I can just not be a pussy for 10 minutes.
>>
hook grip masterrace
>>
File: IMG_0334.png (21KB, 567x523px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0334.png
21KB, 567x523px
I always do hook grip, feels far more secure. Mixed grip can cause imbalances I suppose. My brother uses mixed and he said it doesn't mather and he could switch his hands any time. But when he supinated his left hand instead of his right he could barely lift the weight he normally did for 5 reps. A supinated grip tends to give more bicep activation (chinups vs pull ups for example) so I don't find it hard to believe mixed grip can cause imbalances. But that's just my 2 cents.

Just tape your thumbs and you'll be fine.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.