[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is muscle memory actually a thing?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

I am on my 3rd month back to the gym after completely fuck up with my left forearm.
My gains are coming on rather quickly though. So I went to check a strength standard chart on http://strengthlevel.com/strength-standards.

The chart says I'm already a novice of 6+ months of training based on strength. So my question is:
are the standards chart on this site correct based on your own situation.. and if not am I just a lucky guy(with possible muscle memory).
>>
From what Ive read yes it's a thing.
Essentially muscle fibers are actually long cells with multiple nuclei and when they grow they just add additional nuclei. when you stop working out the fiber shrinks but you retain the nuclei and when you start again you already have extras for your current size

interestingly enough this is why a small run of test is so effective because it stimulates the extra growth in the cells. You guys are free to correct and thing I got wrong, me being a retarded layman and all.
>>
>>42134708
Yeah this, it's more the building blocks are already there just kinda "dormant"
>>
How long did you train before you got injured?
>>
>>42134708
this, look up "myonuclear domain theory"
>>
>>42134616
Yes it is, but it's got more to do with your nerves than with your actual muscles. When you perform certain actions, the nerves responsible for those actions get strengthened, and can fire faster and better. This is how fighters like Anderson Silva and Muhammad Ali can dodge shots so quickly. They're not consciously reacting to the shots, their nervous system already fired by the time they realize.
>>
>>42134708
isnt it just like fat?
the fat cells stay there, they just deflate
>>
>>42135481
Yeah exactly.
>>
>>42135436
i disagree, in fighting if you were subconciously dodging you would form a pattern and people would take advantage of that
>>
>>42135436
What this guy says about nerves is actually correct. Idk about the fighters.
>>
>>42134616
Yes. Once you've built the muscle and neural connections your body will remember it always.
It's why being a fat sedentary out of shape dyel kid almost always equals a fat weak sick adult unless a serious life change and or drugs are involved.
>>
>>42135436
this is not what "muscle memory" is referring to in the context of lifting weights and regaining lost size and strength, you are confusing it with the much more common usage of "muscle memory" referring to actions you have trained a whole lot

in the context of lifting, muscle memory means that due to additional nuclei produced in your muscle cells when you were lifting, you will get back to your previous level of size and strength faster after not having trained for some time

>Your muscles are composed of muscle fibers. Each fiber is a single cell. These cells have multiple nuclei (not just one like most cells of your body). Each myonucleus (nucleus of a muscle fiber) can only support a specific amount of sarcoplasm (the stuff inside a muscle fiber) via coding for the necessary proteins etc. To make a muscle bigger, satellite cells (cells floating around your muscle fibers) donate their nucleus to the muscle fiber. That extra nucleus can support a bit of extra sarcoplasm. Congratulations, your muscle just grew. When you gain muscle mass, you are gaining myonuclei for your muscle fibers to support the extra sarcoplasm in each fiber. When you restrict calories and lose muscle, the amount of myonuclei basically remains constant (unless you’re essentially under famine conditions). You can catabolize fibers themselves if you literally starve yourself, but otherwise you don’t really lose myonuclei.

from https://www.strongerbyscience.com/a-bit-of-everything/
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.