[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Deadlift vs squats

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_8628.jpg (27KB, 213x330px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8628.jpg
27KB, 213x330px
This might sound really stupid but hear me out
I've been training for a few years on and off, recently after a few years of drug bingeing and partying I got my shit together and started training again. Feels great.
I stopped doing squats and instead when I work legs I do deadlifts, leg extensions, leg curls and calf raises - sets/reps/weight isn't important - what I want to know is if my thinking is logical in that if I'm doing deadlifts I don't really need to do squats? You see I'm doing excercises that are "practical" as possible - meaning that I don't see any natural situation one would ever do a squat movement like we do in a squat rack. So yeah trading squatting purely for deadlifts basically (also I'm prone to back injury so I thought this was a good idea with that in context as well)
Ktxbi
>>
Squatting is a very "practical movement" but no, you don't necessarily need to do them.
>>
>>42122220
Sure, but in my eyes deadlift is more "practical"
>>
>>42122233
It's not a game of one or the other; do both pussy
>>
>>42122198
Test
>>
File: unadulterated retardism.jpg (37KB, 339x351px) Image search: [Google]
unadulterated retardism.jpg
37KB, 339x351px
>squat not a functional movement
>but leg curls and extensions are
>prone to back injury but still does deadlifts

nigger what the fuck?

have you ever pushed something? have you ever resisted getting knocked over? have you ever carried something? have you ever picked up something from the ground? squats give you power, it's what you use for leverage when you're on your feet.

those leg exercises will help you grow muscle to look balanced but that's about it. they aren't substitutes for the squat. leg extensions are horrible for your knees, i'd recommend you not do them.
>>
>>42122638
The thread ends here.
>>
>>42122198
Stop doing leg extensions. With squats the tension is held when your knees are bent, putting the weight on your leg muscles. With leg extensions, the tension is held when your knees are straight, putting the weight on your knees. Do leg press of you can't squat for whatever reason, but leg extensions will fuck your knees very quickly if you do them regularly. That shitty machine should be destroyed.
>>
Squatting is very practical what the fuck are you on about using machines and doing calf raises.

Leg extensions will cause your knees to explode and kill everyone in the gym along with you
>>
Leg extensions apply a shearing force on your knee. It's one of the worst exercises you can do. Leg curls aren't as bad, but cable kickbacks are much better (but only girls do those).

I don't squat either, OP, but I do Bulgarian split squats and step ups. Lunges are also an option. All of those are knee-dominant, meaning they work quad, hamstring, and glute; but most work is done by the quad.

Deadlifts likewise hit hamstring and glute more than quad. But deadlifts also hit lower traps, abs, forearms, and lats. It's not really a leg exercise. You can divide the deadlift by doing Romanian deadlifts as a leg exercise (still feel it in the low traps) and doing rack pulls above the knee for more back.
>>
File: bugenhagen rack jefferson.webm (2MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
bugenhagen rack jefferson.webm
2MB, 1280x720px
>>42122198
personally i fucking hate squatting, i hated it the first time i tried it and i still hated it after 5 years of doing squat-heavy powerlifting programming

nowadays I pull conventional deadlifts one day and sumo the other day and hit my quads with some direct accessory work (dick hair away from 6pl8 deadlift @ 195) in lieu of squatting, my body feels much less fucked up for it

>>42122869
>>42123012
i've never felt pain doing leg extensions (all two or three times i tried them) and i know some coaches use them for knee rehab purposes, i think they get a bad rep from people going way too heavy on them with shitty form but out of all the quad movements you could be doing to make up for a lack of knee extension work from squats it ranks pretty low
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.