[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Rugby Training

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: James-Haskell.jpg (105KB, 550x350px) Image search: [Google]
James-Haskell.jpg
105KB, 550x350px
I found out there is a rugby club near me and I want to join but I want to get in shape first so I don't suck. I know nothing about rugby (murrican) but I played football in high school and middle school and was pretty good. How can I get in shape before I try out /fit/?
>>
>>42087478
What position you wanna play? I was outside center and literally all you need is cardio. If you're a forward than you should expect to use a bit more muscle... Almost like you're wrestling
>>
>>42087504
I'm not familiar enough with the sport or any of the positions to say really. In american football I played running back and outside linebacker. I'm a 5'7" 160 lb fast manlet if that helps
>>
bump. I know some of you fuckers play rugby
>>
If you play in the forwards, you'd probably play as a flanker. If you play in the backs (which is more likely with your size), you'll probably play I have no fucking clue because I didn't play back.
Forget how to tackle so you can relearn it properly, no more "drive your helmet into his numbers".
My old coach was a fan of "walk, run, sprint" basically going out for a run and doing intervals throughout the run. Jog/run most of the time, sprint occasionally, walk when you need to.
If you like the game, get a cheap ball online and keep it with you while your around the house. Watching TV? Toss the ball around while your sitting there. Studying? Keep the ball on your desk and toss it around when you need a quick mental break.
It's sevens season right now; it would be a good time to start going out to the local practice and getting your endurance up while learning the fundamentals.
>>
http://www.sarugby.co.za/boksmart/pdf/BokSmart%20-%20Physical%20conditioning%20for%20rugby.pdf

Springboks are the South African national team.
>>
>>42088045
>>42088080
much appreciated brahs
>>
>>42087478
I'm in the same boat, wanna start a sport because basic cardio is fucking boring.
Is it too late to learn at 20? I'm in uni and it seems like a good opportunity to go for
>>
Where you are gonna be depends a lot on height and build, speed and ability to kick. Fowards tend to be taller, heavier and not as lean. Backs are smaller and faster and do the kicking.

Training wise pro rugby players training for explosive strength and power - lots of Olympic lifts and the conventional powerlifting movements with cardio conditioning/sprinting.
>>
I was a huge nerd until college. Didn't start playing rugby until I was 25 or so. Great decision.
>>
File: chadbeauty.jpg (30KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
chadbeauty.jpg
30KB, 640x360px
>>42087478

NECK THEORYYYYYYYYYYYYY
>>
Well, since you have a football background, learn how to not lead with your head. A lot of dudes on my team that came from football almost always led with their heads both into tackles and while trying to bump someone when they had the ball. 6/10 times, they ended up with concussings. The 4 that didn't were not keen on doing it again. Learn how to hold your weight in a squatting position, especially as a forward but in any position really. Explosive and powerful squats will help in rugby as that's where all the power comes from, both as a forward and as a back. I played outside center for a couple years in college and it was a helluva lot of fun. It's a great sport man, good luck!
>>
>>42087478
Bump
>>
File: bamm_bamm_thumbs_up_0.png (283KB, 417x555px) Image search: [Google]
bamm_bamm_thumbs_up_0.png
283KB, 417x555px
Im 22 and ive been playing rugby since i was 10.

Depends one what position you play, but regardless, you need decent musculature to prevent injuries. I cant stress this enough. Muscle and strong tendons and ligaments reduce ypur risk of injury significantly.

Aside from that, as a back, work a lot on your cardio. You need fucking good cardio and skill as a back.

As a forward, you also need good cardio. Honestly, despite most of us looking like hefty motherfuckers, forwards are expected to get to every breakdown they need to, and then expected to be able to get up quickly and get to the next one ASAP. Cardio is super important. Howevee, for the actual rucking, mauling and scrumming, you need some serious leg and back strength. So work on that. Your shoulders will be constantly taking impacts, so you need a good amount of muscle there
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.