[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should i even squat? (i have long femurs)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: 1499200365022.jpg (109KB, 1200x732px) Image search: [Google]
1499200365022.jpg
109KB, 1200x732px
So yeah im 6 ft 4 and my femurs are very long. Im very good at deadlifts (i have long arms aswell) but when i do squats my knees have to travel forward quite a lot to hit proper depth.

This has resulted in patella tendon pain... Should i just skip squats or do box squats? I feel like my leverages are just too bad to do regular squats without excessive forward knee travel.
>>
half squats? not atg
>>
>>42070822
You might wanna hire someone. A physiotherapist will be educated in this, one who lifts as a hobby will show you correct for and correct any other lifts too. A trainer, not as good, but some know what theyre talking about can also provide great insight
>>
>>42070822
Just don't squat as deep. There's no reason to be going past parallel especially if it's hurting you.
>>
>>42070822
just leg press ya dip
>>
>>42070822
Bulgarians
>>
>>42070857
Is this what proportionlets tell to themselves?
>>
>>42070822
>>42070822
are you planning to compete in powerlifting?

If so - yes, definitely; if not - maybe not

i was pretty much in the same boat as you (6'4", femurs longer than torso) and squatted for years, really hit a wall in the mid 400s (literally just couldn't progress no matter what I did, including Sheiko and gaining about 20lbs), eventually the niggling little injuries I picked up along the way and frustration due to lack of progress in that one lift turned me off

you might want to make sure all your individual joint ranges of motion are sufficient for doing a squat just to make sure it's not a flexibility issue, but there is inherently a disadvantage in squatting with shitty leverages, you end up getting much more of a lower back beating than a quad exercise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Av3LO2GwpAk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGEKRjlZKf8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRxQDOkqQTs
>>
>>42070907
Tbh though, going to low will only assist with stretch reflex. Stopping at parallel and going up is key.
>>
>>42070936
I might compete in a drug free powerlifting fed (in the future), but deadlift only because my bench/squat are never gonna be any good.

I think im gonna keep doing squats, however with a box because it reduces sheer forces on the knee. Or maybe i should try doing lunges or something.

Its not a flexibility issue btw. I can do the splits so im probably more flexible than 80% of gym bros.
>>
>>42071014
the splits are just one test of mobility, and really not that relevant for the squat unless you are going to squat with a ton of adduction

when you mention force on the knee, the first thing that comes to my mind is potentially poor dorsiflexion, so how is your dorsiflexion? if it's fine and the shear force on your knee is just a consequence of how much forward knee travel you need to hit depth with your proportions, and you don't plan to compete in full meets, there is really no reason for you to put the stress on your joints
>>
>>42070822
I am 6'4" and I squat below parallel. Unless you have done some research and doubled down on your form you are being a pussy.

Maybe try a wider stance or pay special attention to keeping your knees out.

Don't give up unless you've really tried or your not going to be able to reach your goals. Any of them.
>>
>>42072018
>absolute height impacts proportions
lol
>>
hmm I thought being 6'4" meant you were superior in every way. I guess you'll have to get a manlet to pick up heavy things for you in front of your lanklet-loving girlfriend.
>>
>>42072018
height is irrelevant here, proportions are the issue

you can be a short femured squatchad at 6'5", or a long femured squatlet at 5'9"
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.