[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mass Gainer

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: mass gainer.gif (97KB, 560x560px) Image search: [Google]
mass gainer.gif
97KB, 560x560px
I'm 5'10" and 60kg (132 lb). Yes, I'm scrawny as fuck

So would it be better for me to take a mass gainer instead of a protein powder?

Also can someone explain how this shit works? Because I always thought that all weight you put on is either muscle (from protein) or fat (from excess energy - measured in calories - that you don't expend). So does that mean a mass gainer is just adding fat as well as muscle?

Or I did read that apparently having more carbs available helps you put on muscle. Or something. Is that how mass gainers work then? You need a certain amount of carbs not just for your energy but also to help your muscles grow or something? Is that right? Carbs being needed to help muscle growth? That's what I just read about mass gainers, but I never heard that before. I thought you just needed protein for your muscles.
>>
Eat big, son.
>>
File: 1498942775974.gif (2MB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
1498942775974.gif
2MB, 300x225px
>>42007290
Just eat a fucking pizza

Jesus christ, gaining weight is not hard.
>>
>>42007290
You gain weight by having a calorie surplus. Whether that weight is muscle or fat is dependent on activity (are lifting weights and pushing yourself?), the size of your surplus (are you eating 6,000 kcal like a fat faggot?), and also your macro ratios (are you eating only 30 grams of protein and 500 grams of sugar?).

Eat a 500 kcal surplus. Eat 0.8-1.0 grams of protein per pound of body weight. This is literally all that fucking matters. It can be whey, mass gainer, chicken and rice, or dog turds. All that fucking matters is the surplus, the protein, and the fact you are lifting weights appropriately.
>>
If you can't gain weight just by eating food, liquid is much easier to get down.

Just make a shake with
>2 scoops protein powder
>2-4 tbs peanut butter
>1/2 cup of oats
>1-2 bananas
>2 cups whole milk

Doing that would be much cheaper than buying that mass gainer shit
>>
>>42007360
Not really. I just bought 22 lbs of myprotein mass gainer for like $84 dollars. That's 100 servings. For each 84 cent serving, I'm getting 28 grams of protein and 370 kcal, mostly from whey and oat flour. Sure, you can make your own with whey and oats and shit, and it might be like 10 cents cheaper per serving, but some mass gainer powders are very cheap and pretty much exactly the same shit as what you would make at home. Except the oat flour has a more consistent grind and has fewer "chunks" in it.
>>
>>42007290
Read SS, drink a gallon of milk a day.
>>
>>42007356
>You gain weight by having a calorie surplus. Whether that weight is muscle or fat is dependent on activity

Okay but my understanding was that PROTEIN is what contributes to muscle growth. So then why does mass gainer have carbs in it? Just to give you enough energy to work out?
>>
>>42007356
> what is glycemic index
> what is insulin resistance
IIFYM is broscience
>>
>>42007454
Yes, carbs improve your performance in the gym, and every athlete eats carbs during training. Protein provides the amino acids that are the structural components of hypertrophy. You still need the energy to assemble those amino acids into viable proteins for hypertrophy. This energy primarily comes from carbohydrate sources.

>>42007460
IIFYM works, and it 95% of the battle. There may be some merit to protein timing and insulin spiking based around when you work out, but hardly matters at all and is basically a waste of time in natural lifters. OP needs a surplus and plenty of protein, not to worry about autistic shit has a negligible effect on his end results.
>>
>>42007545
>Yes, carbs improve your performance in the gym, and every athlete eats carbs during training. Protein provides the amino acids that are the structural components of hypertrophy. You still need the energy to assemble those amino acids into viable proteins for hypertrophy. This energy primarily comes from carbohydrate sources.
Alright. So if you're using protein powder (not mass gainer) and you don't have sufficient carbs in your diet then you won't put on muscle? I think that's probably the mistake i was making when I used to go to the gym
>>
>>42007580
Mass gainer is protein powder, but has some sort of carbohydrate flour mixed in it, like oat flour or something similar. Don't think of it "protein powder" vs. "mass gainer". It's just protein powder vs protein powder mixed with oats.

If you have a calorie surplus and are getting protein and are lifting, you'll put on muscle. If you have a shitty macro ratio where you aren't getting enough carbs (or aren't getting enough fats), your performance will be shit, and you'll make less than ideal gains.

Don't over think this. Eat a 500 kcal surplus. Hit your protein goals. Eat plenty of complex carbs. Eat some fats. Lift weights. Hitting super precise macro ratios isn't important.
>>
OP I am a former lich king now I'm a lesser Skelton warrior. I'm 6'2" and was 145lbs. I'm currently 175 lbs (took about 5 months) . Don't bother with mass gainer shit is expensive per calorie. Get yourself a blender and make a shake with milk, peanut butter and milk. I did 4 cups of milk 2 scoops of protein powder and 4 tablespoons of peanut butter, but you can play with the portions to be even more caloric.

Drink this every day + eat and lift. Side note you may gain some fat (I went up about 7%), but it's fine eventually when you get bigger just stop making the shake and you will lose fat quick.
>>
File: ass.png (131KB, 560x560px) Image search: [Google]
ass.png
131KB, 560x560px
hehe
>>
>>42007641
>Mass gainer is protein powder, but has some sort of carbohydrate flour mixed in it, like oat flour or something similar. Don't think of it "protein powder" vs. "mass gainer". It's just protein powder vs protein powder mixed with oats.
Yeah I understand that

>If you have a calorie surplus and are getting protein and are lifting, you'll put on muscle. If you have a shitty macro ratio where you aren't getting enough carbs (or aren't getting enough fats), your performance will be shit, and you'll make less than ideal gains.
Okay so the carbs are for having enough energy to work out. That's what I was thinking.

I might just do what my mate does (he's way bigger than me, and much more of an advanced bodybuilder, but still) which is buy protein powder and fine ground oats in separate massive bags, then i guess you can mix them in whatever ratio you need, and you can change it up if needed.
>>
>>42007737
Interesting stuff. Do you not have to worry about things like cholesterol in the milk and peanut butter though? Causing artery clogging, that sort of shit.
>>
>>42007864
Dietary cholesterol has only a small effect on serum cholesterol, in normal, healthy individuals. If you're worried about it, get a base lipid panel done, then another in 3 months.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.