[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Help me decide: boxing or bodybuilding?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: bop.jpg (20KB, 384x216px) Image search: [Google]
bop.jpg
20KB, 384x216px
I'm torn on which I should do. I've done a year's worth of boxing however the sparring will now increase for me and I have to consider my brain health. I take my academic studies as seriously as my fitness and I would like to be a pioneer in my field some day with some original ideas and I'm scared that if I box it might stop me from being able to do this. On the other hand, if I did know how to box I would be able to defend my gf when she gets slapped on the ass or defend my family if the time came. The other option is bodybuilding which I have already done in the past. My brain would be healthy however there would always be the lingering thought of possibly getting into a fight some day which my big muscles might not be able to stop. Aesthetically I would look better than a boxer though. I'm torn on the two. What should I choose?

>inb4 just get a ccw - i dont live in america
>inb4 just carry a knife - that is illegal where i live
>>
>>42004507
box and do some easy aesthetics oriented lifting on the side
>>
Boxing brain damage is only considerable if you plan on making it a carreer or you are on heavy weight category

>the sparring will now increase for me
If you are paying for you tell them how often you plan on fighting/sparring or not
>>
>>42004507
You shouldn't be sparring hard in your boxing classes anyway. You should be developing your head movement, footwork and technique for the first few years while developing your power on the heavy bag separately.

There's absolutely no reason for you to be swangin' and bangin' when sparring with a partner, it doesn't help either of you and you'll end up eating a haymaker off an awkward angle and it could damage you.

You're there primarily to workout, not to simulate being Tyson for an hour. Leave your ego at the door or fuck off home.

If you spar 3 days a week (with cardio workouts on those days obviously as well) for example - You can put in place a good strength programme for the remaining 3 days (PUSH PULL LEGS) and keep a day of rest for recovery.

>Source: been doing Muay Thai for 3 years, competed in 6 amateur bouts at 85kg.
>>
>>42004507
After a years worth of boxing you know how to throw, take and avoid a punch.

If you want to be more physically able to deal with threats, focus on strength training and if you want more martial art experience take up a grappling art like Judo.

You do sometimes take knocks while being thrown in Judo but sparring is safer than boxing from a brain health perspective, plus it makes to more versatile.
>>
I do Muay Thai twice a week and I never have problems. Light sparring is enough to learn how to avoid attacks and answer.

Also forget boxing. Do Muay because low kicks are great.
>>
File: 2vjbthi.jpg (23KB, 450x600px) Image search: [Google]
2vjbthi.jpg
23KB, 450x600px
>>42004507

>defend my gf when she gets slapped on the ass

Would you slap his bitch bro? Just asking..
>>
>>42004556
I will only be an amateur, I have no chance at pro at my age plus I don't think I'd even want to be one.

>>42004623
Appreciate the advice. If you don't mind me asking, how do you feel cognitively? Do you feel as sharp as you were when you started?

>>42004742
Have you ever had to use Muay Thai in a real life fight? I feel like boxing would cover enough ground for me and allow me to feel safe on the streets.

>>42005238
I wouldn't slap anyone's girl on the ass but I am worried about the guys who will.
>>
>>42005238
I'd slap him on the ass and ask why he doesn't get with a hotter woman.
>>
>>42005556

I am >>42004623

In response to your question I still feel as sharp as when I first started despite taking a few serious blows, they have mostly been to my body and legs (due to kicking in Muay Thai)

I'm 6'4 so I always have considerable range over my opponents and sparring partners so I rarely get tagged hard in the face although it has happened 5/6 times where I've taken a hard hook to the jaw.

If you're just starting out and sparring, people will generally be respectful and won't try to knock you down. If you go to a good gym, the coach will keep an eye out for anyone going too hard and will intervene.

Have lifted for 2/3 years seriously before I started was an enormous help to me in terms of strength. Being tall and rangey is the best advantage but having that strength base has helped tremendously. I would advocate keeping some lifting in your routine whilst still boxing.

You seem awfully worried about getting CTE despite only just starting out. You're not in any danger of this if you're not competing seriously and sparring hard.
>>
>>42004507
IF YOU ARE NOT ACTUALLY GOING TO BOX DO NOT DO BOXING TRAINING YOU KNOW HOW FUCKING ANNOYING IT IS TO SEE YOU FUCKING FAGGOTS TAKING UP SPACE AND NEVER GETTING IN THE RING?

YOU GUYS DON'T EVEN FEEL EMBARRASSED WHEN YOU SEE A 15 OR 10 YEAR OLD WITH MORE STONES THAN YOU ACTUALLY GETTING IN THE RING?

JUST GO FUCK YOURSELF AND FUCK OFF TO BODYBUILDING.

ALL YOU CARE ABOUT IS LOOKS ANYWAY. FUCKING PUSSIES.
>>
>>42005238
I wouldn't, but not because I would be afraid of him in a fight.
Bodybuilders aren't particularly good fighters. In a fight an actual fighter would likely win against this guy. He will likely try to charge at you, which conveniently leads to a KO for you, because forward momentum is fatal. Well, now you should start praying that you haven't given the guy braindamage. And if you aren't praying, you fucking should be.

https://youtu.be/8ECmpxMPvQU

Basically, something like this is likely to happen. This shit can happen even when professional boxers get impatient, see Ricky Hatton vs Floyd Mayweather, let alone people who don't know how to fight. It's a typical situation really, some big guy gets reckless and gets rekt.

t. another muay thai guy, this time for Ruskiland
>>
>>42004507
Neither retard, do Olympic weightlifting or powerlifting. Bodybuilding is gay as fuck.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.