[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why has America gotten more obese in the past 20 years?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 14

File: ezgif.com-resize.gif (4MB, 380x310px) Image search: [Google]
ezgif.com-resize.gif
4MB, 380x310px
Why has America gotten more obese in the past 20 years?
>>
Technology
>>
she never fails to make me smile, reminds me of a crush I had a long time ago
>getting feels now

anyways its because of the constant advertising of fast food, along with the decreased prices of fast food making people more likely to consume it on a regular basis. Also, technological devices have eaaten up everyones time and no one feels like doing exercise anymore
>>
Lacking in a societal purpose, the only motivations for self-independent besides arcane classical philosophy are material goals, which don't motivate people as much as people think. So people just let their bodies go to shit as their minds do. Blame liberals for trying to destroy western culture

In the words of Emerson, "We are weary of gliding ghost-like through the world; we desire to be touched by that fire that shall command this I've to stream and make our lives a benefit."
>>
>>42000471
Self-improvement *
>>
A society full of entitled people who think they are smarter than they actually are combined with no self control and a media that fuels their world views for profit
>>
High fructose corn syrup is in everything.
>>
File: hbb3.jpg (120KB, 1080x1215px) Image search: [Google]
hbb3.jpg
120KB, 1080x1215px
>>42000451

Fast food is cheap and many people like to eat that disgusting shit addictively
>>
File: 1484337038847.jpg (65KB, 641x581px) Image search: [Google]
1484337038847.jpg
65KB, 641x581px
>>42000451
>low fat craze
>anything that is low fat is just replaced with sugar
>low fat products are now full of fake sugar, making people more addicted to sugar in general
>people think they are eating healthy
>also for some stupid reason the government told a whole generation of kids that they need to eat a fuck ton of bread to live
>>
>>42000451
Food is more accessible now more than ever. Do some research and see that this is the actual only reason why.
>>
Because you eat to distract others from your stupidity.
>>
>>42000628
It's not a stupid reason. The reason is money.
>>
>>42000612
>fast food is cheap
When will this meme die?
>>
>>42000656
Yeah but I didnt want to start some political debate but yes some very big companies (like Kellog) lobbied for the government to push for kids to eat cereal and grains which they 100% did not need for a healthy diet
>>
Please don't ever post my waifu ever again
>>
People eat more calories now.
>>
>>42000666
u retarded satan
>>
>>42000704
I'll do what I want. Don't like it, outlift me
>>
>>42000451
Cheap food like McBeetus that is filled with saturated fat and simple carbs are the norm.
>>
It's really pretty simple. People are dumb and want good tasting food. It's a source of pleasure for human beings. The best tasting food usually has the most calories and is nutrient dense.

People aren't educated about diet, food, and nutrition and really don't give a shit anyways even if they do. My nutrition professor in college was a 300lb woman and dietitian

Eating a restaurant burger, onion rings, and chocolate shake with a few beers is delicious and is far more pleasure than cooking eating chicken breast, brown rice, and broccoli. It becomes an easy choice for the 2/3 of overweight people in this country.
>>
>>42000451

(((globalists))) want to turn america fat
>>
>>42000451
eating fast food is easy, relatively cheap, and is fuckawful for you.

Additionally, we now graze on snacks, candies, and sodas all day in addition to sitting down for fuckhuge meals. It is incredibly easy to blow past daily calories if you don't actively watch that shit, especially for women.

A Medium size Big Mac meal is 1,170 calories. Which is over 2/3rds of an average height woman's normal daily calorie recommended intake.

Its just so goddamn easy and you rip right up through your calories without even thinking about it.

I dunno what's different. I kinda think its how easy it is to snack and shit. Whereas in the past you were stuck to your 3 meals a day pretty tight. I dunno.
>>
Because people are richer then ever, and shit is cheaper then ever.
>>
Obesity rates are highest among minority groups. With the shrinking size of the the white majority obesity averages will obviously rise.
>>
File: casual_snack.jpg (2MB, 1500x2052px) Image search: [Google]
casual_snack.jpg
2MB, 1500x2052px
>>42000451

Because corn subsides means shit like this is $1.29.
>>
File: 18d.png (23KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
18d.png
23KB, 200x200px
>>42000451
Cheap food.
Cheap shitty food.
Addiction to cheap shitty food.
Cheap shitty food becoming what's normally offered (ex: soft drinks).
It's socially "weird" for someone to outright refuse to eat cheap shitty food.
Easy to get cheap shitty food without physically working for it - Drive-thrus.
Lots of preservatives and shit that shouldn't realistically be in food are in snacks that people will grab without thinking, or in "healthy" foods.
Life is significantly easier due to technology.
Sedentary jobs (product of to above).
Eating as a result of boredom (function of above).
Lack of job.
Benefits (related to above).
People - mostly tumblr fatties - believe that $10 can ONLY get you one single McShit meal with a giant soft drink during the day (why they defend above).
Greater "human development" (in actuality: technological advancement) means people can spend more money on consumable goods, such as food.
Ensuring that people remain as individual consumers instead of individual producers is a supported political and sociopolitical agenda - overall lack of homegrown competition is good for our big corporations.
Product marketing as a whole. Corporate obligations lean towards: it doesn't matter what's in it, as long as you buy it.
Food is easier to obtain than drugs for those prone to addictive behavior.
Small chocolates and candies are insanely dense. 1 Reese's Peanut Butter Egg, which is a little smaller than a push-to-start car key, is almost 200 calories alone.
Chocolate marketed as period relief and comfort food to women.
Specifically high-calorie dessert food is marketed using reward/punishment psychology to make people feel good while eating it: "Treat yourself", "indulge", "reward yourself..."
People outright not realizing how much they're eating until they are gigantic or experience health problems.
Depression, social anxiety, lack of motivation, lack of time, etc. causing people to dislike exercise.
HAES and Critical Theory teachings.

(1/2)
>>
File: nursing-your-sweet-tooth4.jpg (1MB, 800x7529px) Image search: [Google]
nursing-your-sweet-tooth4.jpg
1MB, 800x7529px
>>42000451
>>
>>42001152
>ENRICHED BLEACHED WHEAT FLOUR(BLEACHED FLOUR, MALTED BARLEY, MACIN, REDUCED IRON THIAMIN MONONITRATE, RIBOFLAVIN, FOLIC ACID)
>GUAR GUM
>SODIUM STEAROYL
What the fuck, I thought guars weren't actually a real animal. Like they only exist in Morrowind.
>>
>>42000451
lack of movement or desire to improve the body. too much food.

there's not one simple reason, but more of a combination of many.
>>
File: guar.jpg (19KB, 220x270px) Image search: [Google]
guar.jpg
19KB, 220x270px
>>42001513
This is guar.

It's mostly grown in India, Australia, and Texas.
>>
File: a90.png (13KB, 165x115px) Image search: [Google]
a90.png
13KB, 165x115px
>>42001436
Another part of the problem, which was mentioned before ITT, is that obesity rates are fucking insane within minority groups. Blacks and Mexicans specifically. Unfortunately, that does also skew nationwide averages, leading people to assume that ONLY whites in the US are creating that number as a shrinking majority. I think Mexico is the only country that actually beats us, when it comes to obesity rate relative to the country's population. Just because a certain group's culture is increasing in prevalence in parts of the US doesn't mean their food or their practices aren't bad on their own. Mexican and Spanish food cooked here often looks like a heart attack on a plate. But still, people will eat it either due to feeling obligated to finish a whole plate of food (even though a whole plate can be 5,000+ calories), or because it's cheap. Usually it's drenched in melted cheese or grease, or everything is fried. I don't have that .webm of the fucking chips loaded with beans, cheese and 10 different sauces in a box, otherwise I'd post it.

From personal experience I can also point out that a lot of Spanish, South American, Mexican, etc. cultures push being heavier as an ideal, aside from being lazy as fuck. My father's family came to the US from Spain, and all I ever heard from him throughout my childhood was "Did you eat? Make sure you eat something! You can't be too skinny!" All that fucking led to was me being a chubby kid because I was worried about being criticized for not loading up a whole meal when I was 10. Then of course, his entire family ends up dying young from beetus, and he realized that health was a serious concern after he had cholesterol problems himself. Some of that same "it's sexy to be big" rhetoric comes out of the South and Blacks in the area. I can't speak for the food, but I've seen some nasty shit sold as street food in some of those states.

(2/2)
>>
File: guar_wallpaper_by_armelien.jpg (98KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
guar_wallpaper_by_armelien.jpg
98KB, 800x600px
>>42001526
Well that's far less exciting than the prospect of one of these walking around.
>>
>>42001532
>I think Mexico is the only country that actually beats us, when it comes to obesity rate relative to the country's population.
Not quite,Tonga, Samoa, Kiribati, Qata, Kuwait, Libya, Paraguay, Saudi Arabia, Belize, Lebanin, Bahrain, Mexico, Iraq, and the Solomon Islands all have higher prevalence of obesity.

Nauru, Cook Islands, Niue, Tonga, Samoa, Kuwait, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Kiribati, Saint Lucia, Micronesia, Palau, Tuvalu, Egypt, Marshal Islands, Qatar, UAE, Belize, Jordan, and the Bahamas all have a higher average BMI than the US.

The US's position of Fattest is only unthreatened by first world countries, though New Zealand comes pretty close.
>>
>>42001587
That's both relieving and disturbing at the same time.
>>
>>42001587
>though New Zealand comes pretty close.
that's probably because of the cook islanders, niueans, tongans, solomon islanders and samoans that live there.
>>
>>42000451
I can't understand how we keep getting fatter. We were really fat 10-15 years ago. I remember having conversations about how fat America was. And now, somehow, we just keep getting even fatter
Will it ever stop? In ten years will we look back on 2017 and remember the days when less than 80% of the country is obese?
>>
>>42001670
I was thinking about this earlier today.

Will there every be a % in which Americans have reached a critical mass? I do not believe that we'll ever get to 100% but we would have to reach some point where our numbers stabilize.
>>
>>42001683
You ever see the film Wall-e?
>>
>>42001696
Wall-E didn't have /fit/
>>
>>42000451
Suprised no one mentioned this. Since we now live in a cushy society, we tend to have a spritiual crisis and most people go through life unconciously. To fill that void, they stuff their face with food but since it is a bottomless bucket where only if they took control of their lives they would feel fulfilled, they get fatter and fatter.
>>
>>42001717
Wall-E was a more successful version of /fit/ he inadvertently turned the entire remnant of human species from fat blobs into functioning humans.
I always thought it would be cool if the other ships came back and instead of getting fat they instead had delved headfirst into millennia of hedonism, basically becoming the dark eldar of the Wall-E universe.
>>
>>42000471
Not true. Self-improvement still yields social benefits, the ultimate motivator.

Unhealthy, high calorie food is just normalized. No other reason besides the boring one unfortunately.
>>
There's lots of reasons, some complex and some simple. This >>42001436 guy listed most of them. I would guess that technological advances that led to more sedentary lifestyles is a big one.

Another could be that nutrition is not taught in schools consistently and in depth, like it should be. The only people who know about proper nutrition are those who seek it out themselves, and out of those I'd wager not many know more than the basics. Seems obvious, educate the kids when they're young about how to take care of their bodies.

Though something tells me it's purposefully not taught.
>>
>>42000471
It's just more sedentary lifestyles accentuated by the widespread propagation of unhealthy foods. Most people don't enjoy being fat.
>>
People are eating too much fat and meat and not enough sugar
>>
>>42000451
BECAUSE THEY'RE TRYING TO USE FOOD TO FILL THE HOLES WHERE THEIR SOULS SHOULD BE!!!FACT!!!
>>
>>42001796
I think I'm being rused, that graph reads 120% childhood obesity.
>>
>>42001872
Do you not know how to read a graph
Go to a library right now. Do brain ups
>>
>>42000451
Privilege
>>
>>42000451
they eat too much and move to little

jfc
>>
>>42000666
Mcdouble is 2 for 2.50. that is 760cal for 46g protons for 2 dollars and change.
>>
>>42001912
It's all fake news anyways, US caloric sweetener consumption continued to increase, on a per capita basis until at least 2012.
>>
>>42001948
No it did not. Sugar consumption in the US, UK and Australia has been continuously decreasing for the past 20 years which makes all the funnier that all these retards are coming out of the woodwork now and blaming sugar for everything from diabetes to tornadoes
>>
>>42001948
Americans don't use sugar (which the graph shows) sweetener. They use HFCS because (((they))) convinced them it was healthier.
>>
>>42002025
The graph shows caloric sweeteners, which is any sweetener that contains calories, or in other words, any combination of refined sucrose, glucose and fructose. Shouldn't be too hard to understand. It includes HFCS, white sugar, honey and maple syrup.
>>
>>42002042
Look at the source
>>
>>42002009
>caloric sweetener
>just sugar
No. Juice is caloric sweetener, so is corn syrup, fructose, yucca nectar, dextros, lactose, malt syrup, maltose, honey, and sorbitol, mannitol, xylitol, isomalt, and starch hydrolysates as well.
>>
File: table.png (59KB, 801x653px) Image search: [Google]
table.png
59KB, 801x653px
>>42002051
Sure thing boss
>>
>>42000451

Convinced people to not be guilty about their fried food with 50g of fat per meal because "it was the sugar all along guys".
>>
>>42000451
High fructose corn syrup.
>>
>>42000451
Smart people are having less kids.
Dumb people are having more kids.
>>
>>42001634
This, if you ethnicly cleanse every non white in the country then we would be switzerland tier.
>>
I was in china for a few weeks. Saw almost no fat people. No fat girls. No fat guys. This is in a country where theres billions of people crammed into the same spot.

What are they doing differently?
>>
>>42000451
It literally hasn't, we're just far more fatphobic now
>>
File: 1497893583808.jpg (207KB, 1024x896px) Image search: [Google]
1497893583808.jpg
207KB, 1024x896px
>>42002283
Pic related.
>>
>>42000451
Jews.
>>
>>42000471
>implying western culture isn't the cause of obesity

You really are a stupid fuck
>>
File: 1.png (1MB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
1.png
1MB, 1280x800px
>>42000451

1) For most of human history, food wasn't plentiful, so people feasted when they had the opportunity. In modern times there is an abundance of easily available junk food that is high in calories and fat and salt, and people still sort of instinctually consume as much as they can, even though it's no longer necessary.
2) Technology like video games, television, computers etc. encourage people to spend more time sitting around instead of moving and doing things.

Basically, not being fat has become more of a conscious choice on the part of the individual. You have to restrain and discipline yourself in a time when you have the luxury of eating as much as you please and never having to exert yourself much physically to sustain yourself.
>>
>>42000451
Why is Japan still so thin while other rich nations are disgustingly fat?
>>
>>42000451
haha America isnt fat we are just enjoying life!
go drink ur water fucking europoor
>>
>>42000451

I remember this gif from somewhere. Source?
>>
>>42000451
Increased consumption of dairy

Sugar consumption started dropping since 2000 when they started selling bottled water, and it's been that way ever since. Meanwhile, dairy has been on the rise, as has obesity.

Watch this video for an explanation https://youtu.be/Moux8EVYxIE?t=2m25s
>>
>>42000451
The price of eat is more less now and Work does not require much physical effort. Elementary my dear Watson.
>>
>>42003328
Because Japan has laws that punish fatness. For example, any company in Japan that hires a fat person gets charged for large amounts of money by the government. So literally no company hires fatties because they would lose so much money doing it. This in turn makes Japs avoid ever getting fat because they know they would never be able to get a job.
>>
File: cdc.jpg (65KB, 577x537px) Image search: [Google]
cdc.jpg
65KB, 577x537px
Fast food isn't cheap but people perceive it in this way
For example I used to be 390lbs. I blamed how cheap fast food was because I was dumb as fuck and didn't understand portion control. For example, I tried to make a healthy vegetable soup. The soup contained

>2 vegetable stock cubes
>5 sticks of celery
>2 carrots
>2 potatoe
>2 sweet potato
>half a bag of spinach
>a knob of ginger
>2 cloves of garlic
>a head of lettuce

This was expensive. So I convinced myself that cheap food was healthier. In fact I carried the receipt for those veggies with me for 2 years to show people as proof, it was my 'obesity ticket'.

People don't know portion control of course they don't know cheapness.
>>
>>42000451
Calorie dense but nutritionally void food, general willful ignorance from the population over what health is, genuinely shitty food companies putting corn syrup in fucking everything, food lobbyists, general lack of a nationwide push to live healthier lives through education/exercise, no consequences for being obese (You get money from the state from your bad choices of stuffing your face 24/7)
>>
>>42000451
>Why has America gotten more obese in the past 20 years?
Glyphosate residue in GMO foods like wheat, corn (also HFCS derived from it), beans, and peas, fucking up people's cellular metabolism, plus too much technology enabling people to be too lazy.
>>
>>42001925
>760cal
>46g protons
the fuck kind of weapon is this?
>>
One of the largest single contributors to the increase of unhealthy conditions currently is the inability for people to take critism without it causing a supreme issue with Human Resources or setting off "triggers".

I don't just mean with the far left. As a societal whole we've moved towards telling everyone they're a winner. All kids get a trophy. Everyone is special.

While both sides like to blame the other for this, it's a viewpoint shared by all currently. A far right soccer mom is just as bad as a far left one.

Generations are growing up being told to be yourself. That's a great thing normally. But it's great within guidelines. No parent these days says be yourself but always strive to be better.

It's causing an epidemic.
>>
>>42006470
>Glyphosate residue in GMO foods like wheat, corn (also HFCS derived from it), beans, and peas, fucking up people's cellular metabolism,

mom's magazine science: the shitpost
>>
>>42001466
holy shit
>>
>>42000471
This.

Drug abuse and obesity are heavily correlated with social decay, which is exactly what's going on in the majority of the country. I'm not talking about le lack of traditional values, I mean people are losing jobs and are increasingly finding themselves in a new world they did not expect or prepare for.
>>
Hang out with a fat person and watch their habits. Huge amounts of processed foods, chips, cookies, burgers, fast-food. They never cook. I have never met an obese person who can make a good dish that isn't meat based and/or full of oil. Their brains are fucking wired to eat like shit and the food takes all the energy out of them that they could use to exercise.

It's a plague.
>>
>>42000962
brainlet
>>
>>42002009
>>42002025

>HFCS isn't sugar
What do you think fructose is anons?
>>
>>42000520
This
>>
>>42000962
Why though? I've never really understood the argument that ((((they)))) want a weak, dying population. For what fucking purpose? You can't just say "so they don't revolt".
>>
>>42006753
Not that anon, but I'd assume for a more stupid, ignorant, lazy population. Easily molded for whatever they want to do.

Through obesity you can bring down the overall intelligence of a population since intelligence is somewhat influenced by diet, the more younger people are fat from age two, the faster they are causing permanent damage overall, especially mentally. Give that a couple more decades and you've drastically changed the overall population's IQ
>>
>>42000451

Microwave oven makes the most sense. Not even kidding. Before they where common, prepping food was a fairly labor intensive process and that severed as a deterrent for lazy people. With the rise of the microwave it became easier to prepare meals quickly and that in turn upped the amount of calories a person ate. There is a positive correlation between the rates of microwave ownership and increasing obesity.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1553734/Microwave-sparked-obesity-epidemic.html
>>
Capitalism, Leftism, Social and cultural degeneration, (((eskimos)))

Pick your poison.
>>
>>42000471
>Blame liberals for trying to destroy western culture

O yeah all those liberals in red states, forcing the brave besieged Republicans to eat one blooming onion after another

if only one day a conservative party would take charge, oh well that can't possibly happen ever, but if it did we know that the leader of it would be slim and muscular and wouldn't claim that you shouldn't exercise because it might run down your body's "battery"
>>
>>42007102

if only the poor brave conservatives could possibly ever get out of the terrible prison they live in where girls with blue hair and granny glasses rip the guns out of their hands and force them to sit on their couches for 25 hours a week watching reality TV and suckling from Pepsi cans

poor brave thin muscular conservatives whose willpower and determination would bring them success if only they weren't kept down by The Man, oh will no one ever rescue them
>>
>>42007420
I never claimed to be a conservative, just gave reasons I felt, have contribute to our current situation. That's all.

>implying hypocritical conservatards aren't fucking retarded
>>
>>42007420
So, society allowing obeasts to roam unchecked is not a degeneration of culture?
>>
>>42007445

if you jabber about degeneration being the main cause of any great social problem then you're expressing conservatism

anyway as long as we agree that Donald Trump should be imprisoned and starved until he no longer has big jiggly pudding-like breasts then everything is cool
>>
>>42001925
>46 grams of pure protons
Holy shit
>>
>>42007485
Why should he be in prison?
>>
>working longer hours (less willing to make own food and use fast food as substitutes)
>more urbanization/sedentary jobs
>Baby Boomers are at that point where they're generally past the age of working out/being consistently active; this age group makes up a massive swatch of western nations
>cultural shift making it far less shameful to be overweight; sometimes (and increasingly) even glorifying it
>increases in reports of depression (strong correlation with weight gain and retention)
>more comfortable home lives making it less important to be out and active (don't have to go out for that pizza, Netflix makes TV/movie watching easier than ever, etc.)
No, I'm not blaming video games/TV itself, I'm simply saying that it's easier to fall into that trap of doing nothing but consuming them now.
>fewer people are taught (to cook) the value of cooking for themselves; the degradation of the family unit and women often having 9 to 5's contribute to this

It's the catch 22 of being advanced. People work very hard to make their, and the lives of future generations better and easier. In turn, those beneficiaries have it easier and adapt to that. I don't know if this is the best analogy but I hope it makes sense: it's like living on the moon. Right now go and lift a 100lb barbell. You can probably do it but you have to put in some effort; you probably have some strain. Now go into space for the next eighteen months. Then come back, and on day one try to lift that 100lb barbell and see if you can. Chances are that it's going to feel like you're trying to lift an elephant. Why? Because in space you had it easy and everything was light, and thus your muscles atrophied. Then when you're put into a more difficult position you can't do what you used to be able to do because you've been on easy mode, so to speak.
Thread posts: 98
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.