[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I practice BJJ and I'm at a level where I can't realistically

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: 61oFgY8vgmL.png (77KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
61oFgY8vgmL.png
77KB, 512x512px
I practice BJJ and I'm at a level where I can't realistically progress any further without training multiple times a day, every day, which I can't do unfortunately, so I'm going to throw in weightlifting.

My friend gave me a routine, which is:

Day 1: (Chest/Arms)
5x6 Pull Up
5x5 Bench Press (20s/25s on each side)
Chest Flies 10x3
Strict Push up (No more than 20 slowly x3)
Reverse Flies 10x3
Bicep Curl 10x3
Skullcrushers 10x3

Day 2: (Back)
5x6 Chin Ups
5x5 Deadlift (no more than a 45 and 25 on each side)
Back Extention 10-15x3
8 Heavy Rows x 3
Ab workout

Day 3: (Legs)
Light leg press 10x3
Squat (NMT 165 lbs)
Calf Raises 15-20x3
Push Press 5x6
Lateral Raise 15x3
Ab workout (leg raises 10-15x3)

I sort of understand why he's limiting the max weight, so that I'm not blasted for grappling training.

Is this sufficient? Grappling is a whole body sport, but at the same time, didn't King Rippitoe design Starting Strength for athletes?

Should I just be doing SS? Again, I train grappling 4 days a week, so I'd be lifting on days I'm not training. Would that be too much?
>>
>>41947647
Look up bruce lees weight program. He also said 173lbs is the optimal weight for fighting.
>>
>>41947647
Beyond the most retarded routine I have seen, especially for a grappler. Do a fucking full body split three times a week while grappling three times a week as well.

>Mon: OHP, Weighted Pullups, Deadlift
>Tues: BJJ
>Wed: Bench. Rows, Squats
>Thurs: BJJ
>Fri: OHP, weighted Pullups, Deadlift
>Sat: BJJ
>>
>>41947738
>Be 4'11, weight 173 = optimal
>Be 6'6, weight 173 = optimal
>>
>>41947647
Why limit your weight?
>>
>>41947647
Hey bro. Quittings are always new beggins. I am 35 today an i quit bjj and grappling in 2011 , got my purple rain in 2009. Pretty much the same story. Little time, hard jobs, divorce, moving away to another country and generall Life happend, so i quit gradually. The first 6 months are hardest, cause you grapple in youre dreams while you sleep and such.I started liftin really hard to substitude, and became like a lifting GOD very fast. The way youre body and cardio is working in bjj and grappling , makes you muscle react to weight lifting very fast, people training with me in the gym tough i was taking steroids or was a super - talent or something, couse i gained a lot. All that becouse i was not grappling/rolling anymore, so i was not wearing my gains down anymore during the week. But there is a down side to it, after two years, you turn in to an average joe, slowly but surly. I lost my sense for training kind of, reasons are that i no longer needed to be superstrong, i was not rolling anymore, i was not competing in any sports , so i started to turn in to Pepe fellow.. Youre body cant upkeep maximum muscle at all time without anabolics etc, i was no longer a fighter , so it all lost meaning. What happend after is that i kind of moved to a third world country , where safety and security is an everyday issue, so training have gotten an totally new and pretty practical meaning, specially in the line of work i chose, at first i would take an 1,5 hour drive trough the worst traffic to get som rolling on opposite side of town, i was 31 by than. After a wild i felt it was to much. Now i have an small provisory gym at my apartment, doing provisory benchpress, pullups, frontal squat, curls, some kettlebell exersize, som jogging in the street. Actually i discovered an grappling club opened some 5 mins driving or 20 mins walking from where i live , but couse lack of time, have not been there more than 5 - 6 sessions the last 4-5 months, maybe one day i shine again.
>>
>>41947738
nobody in the world who weighs 173lbs could beat jon jones in a fight
>>
>>41947647
>Pull ups and reverse flies on chest/arms day
>leg press before squat
Your friend has no clue which exercises work which muscle groups and has no concept of proper programming.

Yes, SS is designed for athletes. Your friend designed a nonsensical, non-functional hypertrophy split when what you need and want is to get stronger. Do SS. You're wasting your time with this Mickey Mouse shit.

You're a grappler. You know what would benefit you? Strong ass core strength to support the spine when attacking an opponent, strong ass grip strength, and strong ass hip drive when launching off the floor. Literally everything you'll get from doing heavy deadlifts and squats on SS, none of which you'll get from your friend's routine.
>>
>>41947647
I can tell you don't actually do BJJ judging by that brosplit. A one month white belt realizes technique > show muscles
>>
>>41949130
>Jon Jones
Kys
>>
>>41948222
This. I do this but with squats every workout.

In any case OP, if you think the key to improving your jitz is getting bigger, then you'll never make it. If you make it a crutch, you'll go backwards instead of forward.
Tell me: How do Caio or Cobrinha do in absolutes?
What belt are you? You sound like white belts I teach who can't grasp the concept of flow rolling and try to brute force every transition/sub.
Does size/strength matter? Of course, but the entire philosophy of BJJ is based on mitigating that. The techniques are designed with that in mind. If you resort to strength, you're doing the technique wrong. You should be asking yourself what small adjustments you need to make instead. What additional weight/leverage could you employ? Find a partner and work on it.
Plan your game, beginning from any position and ending in one of only 2-3 submissions. Master each transition to getting into position to sub, and master those subs. Put all your effort into mastering a very simple game, and focus on playing that game every time you roll. Once you've mastered it, then think about adding to it.
I've been a black belt for 5 years. My game is based around cross choke and RNC from deep half - not much has changed since I was a blue belt...
By the way, this is second hand advice. It was first given to me by Roger Gracie many years ago...
>inb4 I'm past all this
Clearly not...

Conditioning is good. It will improve your performance. It will not improve your jiu jitsu.
>>
>>41949397
>SS is designed for athletes
lol, this is the funniest thing I ever heard about SS
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.