[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Only one calf "feels the burn?"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_6238.jpg (78KB, 807x1076px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6238.jpg
78KB, 807x1076px
Just started a group running program today at my local YMCA where we go from lazy fucker to 5k runner in about a month and a half.

During this first session, I noticed that my right calf was "feeling the burn" a lot while we were running, but my left one wasn't. Right felt like it wanted to die, Left felt like it could go for another three hours of jogging. Stopped for a lap to rest, because I felt bad about not moving, I hopped on an elliptical for a bit to make up for it and that saw my right calf relax greatly before going back and it seizing up again.

Any thoughts /fit/bros? I'm pretty sure it wasn't a Charlie Horse, and I'm also not sure if this is something I'm supposed to work through or if I should get it addressed by a physician immediately before continuing. Because this is a problem I've noticed even if I just walk a great distance, one calf starts hurting like hell
>>
You have a muscular imbalance and are probably putting weight more on one leg than the other.
That's common when you have one foot/leg dominant.
>>
>>41942772
So how would I go about fixing that?
>>
>>41942919
Not the poster above, but it should go away as you keep doing your program. If it's an imbalance, it will fix itself after a bit. But that is assuming it's just an imbalance.
>>
>>41942929
Is there a way to shift my gait to favor the other leg when it acts up?
>>
>>41943116
Just run
>>
>>41943116
Don't start running weird, then you'll develop bad habits and/or fuck up the other leg instead
>>
>>41944016
So how do I deal with only one calf hurting while running?
>>
>>41944538
punch the other one
>>
>>41942532
kind of related, I've been running a lot of climbs lately, and my right Achilles/lower calf has been going numb recently with that needles feeling. It really only starts after the first 2000 ft though, so I think it's because I'm on my toes for so long at a time, plus imbalances so it's always my right.

How are you striking the ground? Are you doing a lot of hills? is it a numbing feeling like I described or a burn?
>>
>>41942532
B L O O D
C L
O
T

you're a ticking time bomb. look up embolism.
>>
>>41944606
>How are you striking the ground?
Like I'm walking but a lot faster, I think I'm slamming down a lot on my heel as opposed to my Ball, which I still have no idea what the ball of my foot is.

>Are you doing a lot of hills?
None at all, all flatland running

>is it a numbing feeling like I described or a burn?
Tense and burning, like it needs to be stretched out or I started running without properly stretching, but stretching was included before starting running

>>41944667
Except when I'm on anything that is not running on flat ground and my feet stay in one spot, like an exercise bike or elliptical, I don't feel it at all. As I said, I took a break, hopped on an elliptical while everyone else was doing the lap so that I wasn't just standing around, and it all subsided

I'm pretty sure it's not embolism
>>
File: balloffoot.jpg (12KB, 179x263px) Image search: [Google]
balloffoot.jpg
12KB, 179x263px
>>41944709
ball of foot is pic related.

a few ideas to try:
when it hurts, stop for a moment, stretch, and see if that helps. If it does, it's probably just routine tightness. be sure to warm up properly and stretch more.
when you're running, think about the beat of your feet on the ground, and check if it is abnormal. It's possible you're putting more stress on one leg or the other, and your calf is taking the load
try strengthening. do 3 sets of 15 calf raises on each foot twice a week. you probably don't want to just do one or the other seeing as that could just reverse the problem. strengthening the other one can't hurt.
>>
>>41944778
And the "embolism time bomb" guy?

Because I don't think this has anything to do with my pulse so much is that actually has to do with pressure. I do find myself feeling like I favor that foot
>>
>>41944797
if you favor that foot, that's probably the reason. imbalances is a common reason for things being weird.

what I could find about embolism doesn't mention anything about exercise exacerbating symptoms

https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/001102.htm

It like an unlikely, complex explanation for simple symptoms.
>>
>>41942532
I went from lazy fucker to 21km in 2 months with only help of /fit/

eat bananas
eat brocoli
(srsly those are best recovery foods ever)

go swiming once per week(breast underwater) to increase your lung capacity

you gona make it anon
>>
OP go see a doctor, you might have Chronic exertional compartment syndrome. Does the pain always begin after the same amount of time during exercising?
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.