[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/swim/ - Swimming General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 2

File: swimming.jpg (2MB, 4480x2656px) Image search: [Google]
swimming.jpg
2MB, 4480x2656px
It is officially summer in the relevant hemisphere. Time to put away those running shoes and break out the swim trunks to partake in the GOAT form of cardio.

Any good swim routines? Videos regarding the different strokes? Not a strong swimmer and want to learn?
>>
>>41892387
Ya man! Recenty picked up swimming again as wel and digging it so far. Never really researched anything about routines and such though, so I don't have much to contribute. Will be lurking and posting interesting stuff I can find in the next hour
>>
>>41892387
I'm cutting right now and I do HIIT in the pool twice a week.

6x50 M sprint with progressively shorter breaks in between. (Use freestyle, fly or back, not breaststroke.)
Another amazing feeling is to just swim a kilometer or two in the pool for moderate intensity cardio.
>>
File: 2112486-2112485-char_belethor.jpg (30KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
2112486-2112485-char_belethor.jpg
30KB, 640x640px
>>41892387
Don't mean to shoot you down OP but swimming is one of the worst forms of cardio. Typically you need to effectively double the amount of effort you put into running to match the amount of calories you'll burn swimming. However, swimming will give you a better workout and build muscle better than running due to the higher level of resistance.

A few stroke tips:

For front crawl, make sure to be breathing bilaterally. Every three strokes is the typical time between breaths, breathing in for two seconds and out for 4. You want your cheek and ear to remain underwater whilst only your mouth surfaces, so that you remain streamlined in the water.

For breaststroke, you don't want to be pulling and kicking at the same time. For your arms, imagine your scooping out a bowl with the palms of your hands as your bring them together under your chest. Difficult to describe but you should be able to find a video explaining. Once you've extended and contracted your arms, you should kick. Once you've kicked, you should immediately reintroduce the pull. Basically, no part of your part should ever be static for long.

For backstroke, there's not a lot of tips. Only thing I would say is that you need to be turning your palms so that your little finger enters the water first on every stroke.

Finally, recent research has suggested that spreading your fingers slightly into a rake-like pattern is beneficial for front crawl, as the space between the fingers develops a web of water which increases the surface area of the hand and gives you a higher level of propulsion.

Also, don't forget to warm up and cool down. Whilst you won't feel it when swimming as much as you would running, lactic acid buildup can ruin your training. Typically do 200-400 meters of each stroke before starting a session, and half that on a cool down.

Hope I've helped OP, good luck in the pool mate.
Thread posts: 4
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.