[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

First time I failed at squats

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: 1497903760460.gif (2MB, 356x292px) Image search: [Google]
1497903760460.gif
2MB, 356x292px
So I only managed 5/5/4/5/4 at 80kg today (dyel novice Etc. Etc.)

I had to actually drop it onto safety 3rd and 5th set.

It might be due to lack of rest (unusually hot in my country at the moment and my room is around 40 degrees when I go to bed), but also my warmup seemed a bit excessive today.

So Im doing strong lifts, and the warmup it gave me was:

>5x20 (empty bar)
>5x20 (empty bar)
>5x40
>5x60 (this felt like more of an actual set)
>3x70

Isn't going up to 87.5% of my max weight a bit much for a warmup? At the end of it I felt like i'd done a proper set.

If the warmup seems fine I'll just make sure I get proper reat for Saturday and make sure I smash it out then.
>>
File: 1497967958986.gif (1MB, 400x226px) Image search: [Google]
1497967958986.gif
1MB, 400x226px
Pls to give warmup advice
>>
Bump. Failed squat for the first time at 175 lbs (~80 kg) the other day as well. DESU kinda nervous to go in today and squat
>>
>>41888489
did he died?
>>
I think that you warmup too much with the empty bar, 40kg should still feel pretty light.
Maybe you are just tired when you go for your main sets. How much time are you resting? SL recommends to increase your rest time to 5min if a set was particularly hard
>>
>>41888489
As a beginner lifter i hope you're eating on surplus calorie amount, atleast i myself always start going to failure on my lifts when i restrict my diet.
>>
>>41888621
So i was resting 3 mins for when i find a set hard, and on failure i waited 5 mins.

40kg felt light, but 60 hit me harder than I think it should. The 10x20 for the bar is almost cardio and i felt a bit out of breath.
>>
Not eating and not doing cardio = lifting to failure
>>
>>41888648
I'm eating at a surplus every day - though now you mention it i think i may have had a slight defecit last night... I didn't have my normal shake before bed because i felt sick from the heat.
>>
>>41888672
I definitely need to start adding cardio. Squats get me really out of breath. Do you think 30 mins cycling on 3x a week would do it? I could work them into my off days.
>>
>>41888691
Doesnt matter how long you do cardio if it doesnt make your heart rate hit the the target zone. Just get your heart rate over 100 for atleast 15 minutes every gym session.
>>
File: 1497452420133.jpg (146KB, 460x858px) Image search: [Google]
1497452420133.jpg
146KB, 460x858px
>>41888711
I'll start adding this in. Cheers.
>>
>>41888736
When i progressed my squats i did 15 minutes of treadmill running on 1.0 elevation as a warm-up for my squats every time.
>>
>>41888489
1.Too many reps in your warmups. You should do 2x5 with the bar, then 1x5, 1x3, 1x2 ramping up to your working sets. Once you start lifting heavy weight and feel that even warm ups are tiring and difficult, add one or two 1 rep sets with bigger percentages of your working weight and use smaller percentages in the previous warm up sets.
2.Not enough rest between sets. This is a strength, not a hypertrophy routine. It is far more beneficial to take 5 min rests and complete all your reps than take 2 min rests and fail them, you will plateau very early and that's not desirable. It's ok to do that in assistance exercises if you do any (curls etc), but not your main lifts.
>>
>>41888849
For example, if I were you, my sets would be:
2x5 bar
1x5 40
1x3 55
1x2 70
5x5 80
>>
>>41888849
>>41888861
Thanks for the warmup advice.

Currently i stick to to suggestions the apo gives; 90 seconds if i find it easy, 3 mins if hard, 5 mins if i fail a set. Are you saying you think i should wait 5 mins regardless?

Warmup is just all at once, with 3 minutes rest before starting my main sets.
>>
If i need to wait 5 minutes between each set i'll have to change my gym time; i currently get in early and take a long lunch break. It would be better for me to go to the gym before work if i need to wait longer for the benefits.
>>
>>41888896
You should rest enough that you feel recovered from your previous set. If you feel you will complete your reps with 2 min rest, go for it. But if you feel you need more, do more. Simple as that.
>>
>>41889009
Cheers. Pretty much what I do now, but i'll try not to force myself. I may have rushed into my final set today because of the frustration of the first failure.
>>
>>41888489
Do a 10% deload, it's fine. It'll be a good chance to tighten up your form, and you'll be making progress again in like a week or two.

Failing squats should be pretty comfy compared to bench
>>
>>41889064
Np m8. You have many gains to make so don't sweat the small stuff.

>>41889239
I don't think it's time for that yet. If the weight starts getting heavy, you should miss reps in consequent sets, but OP completed his 4th set after failing his 3rd one. That's clearly because of too little rest. He should have done a deload if his sets were 5/5/4/4/3 or something.
>>
>>41889302
He's adding 5 lbs a throw, a deload puts him back a week.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.