[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

should I lockout when I do pullups?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: ?.png (599KB, 500x735px) Image search: [Google]
?.png
599KB, 500x735px
should I lockout when I do pullups?
>>
>>41864619
That's called dead hangs and doing them can help you progress faster than not getting a full ROM. Now that 8-12 dead hangs are easy for me at 190lb I've started weighted pull-ups and on non weighted sets I can do them faster. I supplement by doing sets where I don't go all the way down. Focusing pull-ups as a core exercise like deadlift has really helped my back develop. I would play with your grip width as well to see what feels most comfortable for your shoulders and elbows then stretch as necessary and adjust your grip width too target different areas, some will hit your back and lats more (wide) others will hit your shoulders and bis (narrow)
>>
I could do 3-4 pullups with "normal form", and then I forced myself to do them from dead hangs and now (3 months later) I can do 15 pullups (dead hang).
>>
>>41864619

You should definitely practice doing pull-ups from a locked out deadhang. But you don't need to do all your reps all the time this way. Utilising the stretch reflex at the bottom of the negative portion is too beneficial to ignore if you want to get stronger.

You should always go down to within a fine margin of lockout though. One of my biggest triggers in the gym is seeing guys doing sets of 10 "pull-ups" where their elbow angle only gets to about 90 degrees.
>>
File: 1320569238270.jpg (4KB, 163x145px) Image search: [Google]
1320569238270.jpg
4KB, 163x145px
Mfw the pull up form I see at my gym
>>
Is this really what that kid looks like? I've never seen that image without pepe being the kid's head.
>>
>>41864907
I keep rolling my shoulders forward
>>
File: 1497805167282.jpg (2MB, 4196x2940px) Image search: [Google]
1497805167282.jpg
2MB, 4196x2940px
Yes, always do dead hang as primary movement, do you quarter squat and half rep bench as well?
Gotten to the point where I can do 14 dead hand pullips and 8 with 35 pounds attached to me at a body weight of 181
>>
>>41865234
>>41864761
>>41864879
>>41864828
a lot of people don't lockout bench press to keep tension on the muscles. Same applies to pullups
>>
People that do "deadhangs" are tryhards that probably dont progress
>>
>>41865351
>being a try hard is bad
Spotted the dyel shit poster
>>
>>41865323
Which is fucking retarded. This pretty much sums up why:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRevyyFM82w

Full range of motion will always triumph because of full motor unit recruitment. It's also superior in terms of injury prevention and flexibility.
>>
>>41865937
>wearing an earring
>immediately dismissed
>>
>>41864619
HANG IN THERE, BABBO
>>
>>41864619
he made it
>>
>>41865323
Agreed, that is why I mentioned that I now supplement by not going all the way down. Keeping the tension is tough and will work groups you otherwise wouldn't hit. I just think it is best to start with dead hangs to get the most early gains, and will make adding volume easier later.
>>
>>41865937
Shutting the fuck up and getting the fuck off my board would be superior for you in terms of injury prevention.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.