[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thoughts on MTB for cardio?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

Sup /fit/ looking to lean out for the summer. What are your thoughts on mountain biking?

Just picked up pic related and rode about 25 miles uphill/downhill so far.
>>
>bottom line up front, unironically: fixed wheel, low gear ratio. front brake, do not get a track bike. "fat" tires, like 28 to 35c.
what's more: your parents might have an old peugeot from the 80s bike craze worth throwing a cheap single speed wheel on, but don't go crazy

(going on): I stayed very fit when I had some pretty significant orthopedic issues on active duty by just bicycling to work. If you choose this method, and aren't a Douche Bicyclist(tm) about it, then you don't notice that you're exercising. It's great for time management, if your work is in the sweet spot distance from your home. A fixed cyclocross bicycle with fenders /can/ work out very well, but again you've gotta watch cost:benefit ratio. Sheldon Brown advocated converting old mountain bikes, but shit is overkill and can get expensive fast, as framesets worth a conversion job, are disappearing.

/n/ is going to have strong opinions for and against my words, as my points are much more utilitarian than aesthetic

all the best from an arthritic who can't walk more than 2 miles a day, can't run in spite of having competed, can't swim in spite of having done 45 minutes daily through his youth. bicycles are my cardio option, fuck arthritis
>>
>>41857790
didn't address first post to OP because Anon already has equipment. it was instructive to other readers

gigantic knobby tires and front and rear suspension cost a lot of energy at no benefit to your uses if commuting, but if you're into MTBing then they can be what's up.
>always remember that coasting is a pernicious habit

the distance you describe is the far end of the sweet spot for 5 days a week round trip commuting. I wouldn't want to be logging 250 mile weeks, 50 weeks annually, on top of lifting, if for no other reason than the free time drain. Of course, there are other reasons
>>
final post, again intentionally separate for emphasis:

I guess it's showing that I'm a mechanic, which isn't much of a credential (these things are like legos contrasted against cars)

but I bring that up because day in and day out I see folks, just like gun people, with more money than sense. don't listen to your buddies tell you that your bike sucks.

>they're justifying wasting money on their own whips

sure, the only place Shimano belongs is on any ride but mine, but this hobby gets expensive fast. I have a mortgage, my mother's utilities, and a truck to pay off. I used to support my sisters, and I shoot guns -- another place where people get penis envy. Just blast the chain with lube occasionally, and keep the tires inflated to spec with a _good_ pump. Parts come out annually to prop up a large, but somewhat cottage, industry
>>
>>41857983
>>41858036
>>41858117
holy shit dude, chill out
>>
>>41857790

Mountain biking can be amazing low impact cardio depenind on the trails in your area. However, 25k+ epic rides will beat you the fuck up and defintely eat into gains. Ive burned (heart rate monitor estimated) 1500 calories in 2 hour sessions easily. You need to be prepared with your diet for that. Secondly going on hard rides more than 2x a week will hack at your knees. Do many short rides or few long ones.

Also as the anons in this thread whined about, MTB can get expensive fast. I bit the bullet and payed all upfront for the gear I need and it was easily $6000 Moosebucks for the bike and gear, but I have eveeything I could need and maitnence is a breeze. I worry about the ride, not what I'm riding.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.