[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Climbing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: 86048b2029bbd036fcd9d59f9359bebb.jpg (144KB, 671x1008px) Image search: [Google]
86048b2029bbd036fcd9d59f9359bebb.jpg
144KB, 671x1008px
I'm currently losing weight but I would like to get into rock climbing/bouldering at some point in the future, any advice on what areas of performance I should focus on improving before I start?
pretty shit tier right now, can't even do a full pull up but i'm working on it

also any other /fit/izens like climbing or do it regularly? how did you get into it? got any cool stories?
>>
>>41855174
Work on endurance alongside your strength routine.
>>
>>41855174
In climbing the strength comes while you learn the technique.

Pullups are not good training as they build up a lot of muscle mass you don't need.

Training for climbing effectively is mostly bouldering, that is, trying hard moves at low height, and perhaps at some point (when you can climb 7a) specific finger strength training.

I'd say a first step is to stop squatting.
>>
I'm pretty new to it, but loving it. Find a buddy who can mentor you for outside stuff. Fitness wise mostly just get skinny and work on grip/pull ups and general quality of movement/balance. Do dead hangs from your fingers or on a fat bar (closed hand doesn't really carry over that well) and once you can do 10+ pull ups with body weight start doing circles/levers and other asymmetrical variations. Do lots of cardio as well.

Really though most stuff you can do in a regular gym won't carry over very well, be prepared to feel like a weak ass bitch once you start climbing. Also, strength isn't really a big deal at first, you start out learning to use your strength properly through technique and not shitting your pants on the wall.
>>
>>41855174
Best advice you can get:
Start climbing NOW. Especially when you are not strong. Your technique will improve and you WILL need it later on. Just go easy on crimps. (Holds that only fit your fingertips) Because when you are heavier your fingers will get more load. And even for small climbers it takes 2 years for the finger tendons and pulleys to adapt.
>>
>>41855174
>got any cool stories?
Once broke my ankle and it still hurts. Be sure to be extra safe and take a course and how to do the safety stuff right. While death through climbing is less common nowadays than it was, injury still occurs a lot more often than in other sports.

We once did a multi pitch and the rope got stuck so I had to climb backwards some few meters to detach it from where it was. It was risk of death although I didn't really feel it.
>>
>>41855306
>injury occurs a lot more often
this is wrong
>>
>>41855271
>stop squatting.
explain please? surely you wan't good leg strength
>>
>>41855174

Pullups
Chinups
>>
>>41855345
Leg strength is never the limiting factor, extra leg mass will just weigh you down. If you can stand up out of a chair you have enough strength for most climbing. Maybe work on balancy stuff like developing a pistol squat.
>>
>>41855284
>Start climbing NOW
tfw just started a 6 month membership at my regular gym, because i was under the impression i should get a decent all around strength base first (not to mention weightloss, currently 273lb which i imagine would makes more advanced climbing quite hard) anyway to salvage this situation or should i just neck myself now?
>>
>>41855390
At that weight you can definitely just focus on weight loss. Tooling around on easy stuff probably won't hurt though. Really though you don't have to be strong to climb other than your grip and core.
>>
Grip strength grip strength grip strength
Your fingers and forearms are the most important part of climbing.
>>
I've been bouldering for a year now. I'm a solid v4 climber with the occasional v5. What other anons are saying is absolutely right. Don't waste your time trying to strength train to improve your climbing, just start climbing. The strength will come really quickly. Also, do not be afraid to take a few days off if your fingers start hurting like a mother fucker. There's this awesome thing where your tendons get inflamed and can't slide through their sheaths. You gotta give that shit time to heal and it takes a long time because tendons are fucking retarded and don't know how to heal properly. Have fun bro
>>
>>41855306
What was the route rated as???
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.