[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How does the science behind Intermittent Fasting work? I know

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: l8Ircca-1.jpg (319KB, 1049x582px) Image search: [Google]
l8Ircca-1.jpg
319KB, 1049x582px
How does the science behind Intermittent Fasting work?

I know keto burns fat by theoretically limiting carbs so fat is used for energy. I can understand that. But how does not eating for 16 hours then eating for the remaining 8 burn fat?
>>
>>41848543
Growth hormone is secreted when you're fasting.

That's all I know,
>>
I've heard you can lose fat on IF while eating on maintainence. Is that true?
>>
>>41848543
when you fast, your body uses stored fat to compensate glycogen depletion. The fast is what brings down glycogen by not replenishing stores.

Keto is actually similar, you deprive your body of carbs so that it switches to 'fast-mode' permanently. Fasting actually helps entering or re- entering ketosis.

The reason IF works, is that 'fast-mode' isn't so much linked to caloric intake, as it is to time spent fasting. Frequent meals do not let enough time for glycogen stores to be depleted.

This logic is what is behind the various forms of IF, warrior diet, etc...
>>
>>41848934
You forgot to mention that there has never been a single study to prove IF supposed effectiveness for fat loss over a regular deficit.

>>41848776
No. The energy taken in has to go somewhere. IF doesn't just make calories disappear.
>>
>>41848966
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26653760
>>
>>41848934
So would it be recommended to do cardio on the fast to help deplete glycogen faster and then lift during the window you have to eat?
>>
>>41849038
>Compared to ad libitum feeding
1/10 apply yourself
>>
>>41848966
You're the type of autists who thinks that the body follows 24 hour long kcal-in kcal-out cycles.

Guess what nigger, its completely arbitrary
>>
>>41849246
>gets called out for not providing any evidence
>"lmao autist"

Your body doesn't defy the laws of thermodynamics.
>>
>>41848966
I don't think you understand how IF works
>>
>>41848966
why would there be need a study?
even if it's the same as regular deficit, I'd rather have two normal meals than 3-4 small, way more convenient.
and there are countless studies on the relations between blood sugar levels and weight/fat.
also countless studies on the effect of fasting on blood sugar regulation.
what more do you need? a study which litteraly has 'Intermittent fasting' in the title?

>>41849053
this exactly fasted cardio/HIIT/lifting will empty glycogen stores faster. A lot of people on IF do this to re-enter ketosis after carb loading

carb loading: once you are in ketosis, it is actually recommended to refeed on carbs once every 7-10 days, ideally on a day with heavy lifting.

>inb4 should I carbload before or after lifting
I don't thonk this is as important as consistency. once you've been in a solid ket/workout/carbload rythm for a few months, then you can start worrying about finer points like meal timing.

I use carbload as a way to enjoy a night in town restaurant and drinks once a week, wthout acting like a turbo autist counting my brocoli stalks on a date
>>
>>41848966
>muh studies lmao

fuck off
>>
>>41849053
here, maybe this helps for some clarity:
http://www.livestrong.com/article/331651-burning-fat-vs-glycogen/
>>
>>41848543
Fasting for 16 hours makes it easier to limit your caloric intake. That's it. No magic.
>>
>>41850290
you impact your insulin sensitivity as well which adds or takes away from your overall chances of loosing weight.
>>
I would recommend eating low fat high carbs and actually exercising MORE instead of putting yourself in a lethargic state where you can only do LISS .
>>
>>41848543
There isn't really much of an effect on your metabolism if you do fasts shorter than 24 hours. Your body will first use up the sugars in its digestive tract and liver storages, then starts using more protein as fuel source, then starts using ketone bodies (directly from body fat). To get completely into the ketogenic state takes about 72 hours of fasting.

Benefits of short term fasting might be lowering insulin levels during the fast, which can have beneficial effects for people who pre-diabetic. A low insulin level makes fat burning easier as well, even if not in a ketogenic state. Also the digestive tract can use the resting time to regenerate itself and reduce chronic inflammation.

The body will release human growth hormones during a fast to avoid losing lean body mass. This gives fasting a mild edge over other fat loss strategies.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27569118

Short term fasting in general does not really outperform other fat loss strategies. But it is an easy way to restrict your weekly calorie intake, because it doesn't require much calorie counting. You can eat like you always do on the off-days / feeding period and still lower your calorie intake overall.
And the biggest benefit of a cyclical 24 hour fast is that you can still eat normally on training days. The loss of strength output that usually comes with a cutting diet is mostly restricted to the fasting days, so you can put all of your strength into training. Which I personally find more enjoyable than training with -20% of your usual strength like you would normally do on a cut.
>>
>>41848776
No
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.