[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How's my deadlift form?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: my deadlift (compressed).webm (768KB, 852x480px) Image search: [Google]
my deadlift (compressed).webm
768KB, 852x480px
Deadlifts feel really shitty whenever I do them. I feel like my lower back takes more of a beating than it should and the lift just feels awkward. I'm not sure if the lower back soreness is because my form is bad or if it's just because I'm weak from being so sedentary.

Could any of you give me any advice? I've started doing back extensions after every workout in order to strengthen my lower back. My lower back gets pretty sore from those too (but the soreness fades quickly) which makes me think that I'm probably just weak. Still, a more experienced opinion would be appreciated.

Not sure if it matters but my best lifts are:
bench - 115 lbs 3x5
squat - 185 lbs 5x5
deadlift - 185 lbs x 6 (could probably go heavier but the lift feels too awkward)
>>
>>41838044
The bottom portion of the lift should burn mostly your hams,glutes and quads(quads less so).
Use your flexed lats to hold constant contact of the bar with your body.
>>
I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure you should be bending your knees somewhat more so you bring your hips lower while bracing against the weight. This puts it a bit more on your quads and eases it up on your low back.

What you're doing looks a bit more straight legged.
>>
>>41838044
before you lift drop your ass a bit so its not an RDL
>>
>>41838044
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73JZ5_oHyAg&t=334s

Best deadlift form video I've seen.

Hard to critique you because it seems the weight's too light to really challenge you. Would say take a little long going through the setup though, there's a few cues in that video to follow in order to keep yourself right.
>>
>>41838044
Probably form
>>
>>41838044

the first thing I notice is your legs are far too straight and stiff. your range of motion is more like a straight legged DL.

you need to really drop your ass down and drive through the heels to your legs and on up

good news is, I see your toes come up, your back stays planked/neutral and the "snap" at the top. that tells me you start and finish strong and that you're not stressing lower back too much.

all I would change is to drop your ass before you drive up. keep driving through the heel like you are, keep your back neutral, and keep finishing solid.

if you can master that, your DL will shoot up
>>
>>41838150
>>41838044

I should add the lower back soreness isn't you being weak. it's your form. you're lifting 185lbs with your back and glutes instead of driving up with quads 1st, then hams and glutes closer to the top
>>
I've heard that it's important to keep your shins close to vertical and your shoulders over the bar when deadlifting.

If I lower my hips I either end up with my knees further forward or with my shoulders behind the bar. Is that okay?
>>
>>41838191

shoulders above bar is correct 100%

shins will change angle in relation to floor depending on your body proportions and height

more important to push from heels using quads 1st, then as you come up all leg muscles become active, and at the top its mostly glutes and hams with some back and traps active (as stabilizers)
>>
>>41838239
>>41838191

also bc I'm autistic I'll be a bit more detailed:

shoulders start above bar but as you come up they will end "behind" the bar

shins will vary a lot depending on height and leg lengths
however in a straight leg DL the shins will be much closer to vertical than regular DL

the bar should never start further "foward" than middle of your foot as you look down on the bar. this is to ensure proper mechanics and balance so that you can push up through your heel into your legs
>>
>>41838044
Like others said start lower with your butt

Perform the lift slower and more focused, now you're just shooting up and going back down seemingly not very controlled

Keep the shoulder blades locked but the shoulder itself relaxed, tension your abs(and back) throughout the lift until you've put the weight back on the floor
>>
ITT: people who have no clue about deadlifting

if you dont know what the fuck youre talking about, just dont post...
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.