[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how did you get started?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 6

File: udderperfection.jpg (48KB, 960x380px) Image search: [Google]
udderperfection.jpg
48KB, 960x380px
i'm curious to hear your stories, and everyone likes survey-type threads so let's go.

>how old were you when you first started strength training?
>how did you go about learning proper form?
>did you ever get a personal trainer?
>was it awkward for you at first?
>what advice would you give to newbies?
>if you're a girl, would you recommend other girls get a coach?
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (8KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
8KB, 480x360px
>>41730665
>11-12
>From my football coaches
>yes
>no, we connected very well
>stop putting it off and being a pussy, just go get huge
>I have a dick
>>
>21
>YouTube mostly
>no
>as fuck
>nobody cares what you do as long as you're not cocky
>>
File: Jon Pall 4.jpg (242KB, 1024x919px) Image search: [Google]
Jon Pall 4.jpg
242KB, 1024x919px
I started in High-school.
I played football, so our team had a strength and conditioning coach.

The program I did consisted of heavy compound lifts.
We trained full body.

The first 1-2 weeks we practiced with very light weight ( like just the bar at first).
The coach would make us do the lifting pattern over and over; correcting any mistakes.
Slowly after the beginning phase did we increase the weight.

It was awkward at first because, I had self esteem issues at the time.
I felt i wasn't as strong as the other guys, especially the older guys.
Besides that insecurity, I felt like I wasn't doing enough at first, because it was so "easy". We were using just the bar for god sake.

But the coach knew what he was doing, because proper form is the foundation of safe, and effective gains.

I would tell newbs to take advantage of all the resources out there.

Watch the countless vids on form.
If you're in school, go to the front office or drop by the coaches office, and ask them for guidance.
This should work both in highschool and college.
Else, if you're going to the gym the first time, ask if someone can show you the equipment.
Usually you're given a consultation with a trainer when you become a member. Use this to your advantage and ask for guidance (realize they will want you to book sessions with them, you don't have to do this).

Lastly, there are three important things beginners must adhere to become great.
1. Consistency - Stay the course, stay with one program and make every workout. Get proper diet and sleep.
2. Safety - Start absurdly light, and practice the movement pattern. Learn to get in touch with how your body moves. DO NOT EGO LIFT.
3. Progression - Learn to feel what exertion feels like. Push that pain of exertion slightly. Make things gradually harder as you go.

Girls don't need anything different from men.
>>
File: lifting with friends.webm (3MB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
lifting with friends.webm
3MB, 640x640px
>>41730665
16 years old. gym opened up about half a mile from high school so i'd go with my friends after or between classes.
One of my friends actually looked up how to get bigger properly, instead of dicking around.
Hell no
Not really, we just used the machines in the most retarded ways. As if we were monkeys in a zoo.
It's all about diet. calories in, calories out. and get enough protein.
i habe big dicc :DDDD
>>
>>41730665
>bench 135
>squat 495
My fitness career summed up
>>
I was a 27 year old failure. I had a job, a car, and that was it. I started school in January after dropping out when I was 17, and on my second day signed up for a gym. Almost 6 months later and I'm lighter than ever, and yet bigger. As far as form goes, I just watched myself carefully and once I got comfortable with some of the others around me I asked them to check my form. It was extremely awkward for me, I was skinny fat and lanky as can be. For some reason squatting terrified me until I did it. My advice would be stay consistent, keep your diet on point, and sleep.
>>
>>41730874
>I was a 27 year old failure. I had a job, a car, and that was it. I started school in January after dropping out when I was 17
so you started lifting at 27 or did you mistype that and mean 17? either way, props
>>
>>41730665
> Am currently 21, 6'0, ~190, ~14% and cutting. Also at a big american SEC university & /frat/

> 17
> I had researched lifting before even really starting, so I had decent form going in. My strength and condition coach for hockey was a monster and showed me pointers, as well as bigger guys at my gym. I never had bad form on any exercise really.
> Hell nah, if you've got the internet and a brain + time you don't need that bullshit, though it can be beneficial when you get to a high level
> Never awkward
> I would say definitely learn how to diet properly first, it's much more important than training honestly. If you're a skelly you need to learn how to bulk well while lifting or it will take you much longer to get to a size that you wanna be at.
>>
>>41730888
Started at 27. Dropped out of college when I was 17 in my first semester. Never stepped foot in a gym until January.
> Thanks bro, we're all gonna make it
>>
File: log.jpg (35KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
log.jpg
35KB, 640x480px
>>41730665
hmm
>nerd as fuck going into middle school
>decided fuck it im going to join the wrestling team
>mocked and made fun of all through try outs
>made the team, kind of shut everybody up
>still stuck in that nerd mentality until high school though
>sperg around freshman year with grills, they were all over me because i hit puberty and became attractive
>had no idea what the fuck i was doing
>fuck up with all of them so badly that everybody somehow thought i was a stud/"player" and was just messing around with my harem of hoes
srsly dont know how that happened
>make high school wrestling team
>make varsity
>older guys love me for some reason
>all the wrestlers were also the football players so basically hung out with the chads of high school
>theyre all bigger than me so i decide to work out with them so i wont be the smallest anymore
>follow locker room advice and shit from other guys in the weight room but not super serious about it
>otter mode by end of high school, 150lb
>first year of college, decide to lurk /fit/
>actually make decent gains but still learning
>start actually lifting and making decent gains by the middle/end of freshman year
>oneitis fucking with my head gave me enough anger for some solid workouts
>somehow join a fraternity, fun parties and mires from girls
>sophomore year just ended, now at 180lb with decent gains
>tfw people think im chad and respect me because i dont have a dad bod
>dont mess with me because they dont want to provoke le roid rage XD
>still retain all of my nerdness to this day
not bad considering where ive come from
eh. its been an alright road. the funniest part is since i was pretty good at wrestling everyone thought i was some kind of stud and talked me up all through school, i never bragged about about anything because people made shit up about me to talk me up. kind of a weird few years

>inb4 bragging about high school accomplishments
just thought id include it
>>
>>41730665
2 years ago,went on a brosplit then did meme calisthenics then did a brosplit again then bodyweight stuff again

now I'm just trying to get strong on weighted chin ups and weighted dips
>>
>started at 25
>learned basics from my stepbrother Chad his family took me in when my family have gave me the boot at 8
>never had a personal trainer
>advice for newbies don't wait as long as i did to start just go today
> not a girl
>>
>bootcamp
Not so much a love of fitness, just a primal fear of the sarge even though I've been out for about a decade.
>>
/fit/ unironically
no
not really
fix your diet
-
>>
> dad brings me to gym at 15 to lift
>5'10 135lb->155lb in 2 years (which were sick fucking gains in those days)
>bench Max maybe 180lb at best
>be 24
>dad hasn't seen me in a few years
>living across country with new wife
>go to gym on vacation together
>make it up to 275x3 bench (PR is 315x2)
>audible gasp from them both as I lower it and pause (I love a heavy stretch)

Feels goodman. Thanks dad
>>
>>41733023
To answer your question coaches can be good and bad. Pros: help push you, might be knowledgeable, obligation to not skip. Cons:might be full of bro science (So many trainers learned in the 90s-00s and haven't updated), expensive, don't learn your own disciple/programming.

If you can teach yourself and lift like a man (squat, dead, bench, pullup/row based stuff) and avoid doing 90% glute work like most girls you'll be .

The more you lurk (not 4chan you idiot, there is never good info here) the more you can discern good info sources from bad. Don't take anecdotal "this worked for me" shit too seriously.
>>
File: IMG_2574.jpg (65KB, 615x943px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2574.jpg
65KB, 615x943px
>how old
16, but I didn't stick to it until I was 18
>gud form
I had a brofessor to teach me
>PT
Nah brah
>Awkward?
No, I don't believe in awkward
>Newbie advice
You just gotta fall in love with it
>grill?
Nah penis
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.