[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

every set is AMRAP?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: Alexis-Rodriguez-Reality-Kings.jpg (87KB, 600x900px) Image search: [Google]
Alexis-Rodriguez-Reality-Kings.jpg
87KB, 600x900px
I count reps, but I never stop at a rep. I mean I AMRAP every set. I then write down how many reps I did for that weight in a log.

So let's say I see that the last time I benched 170lbs for five sets, and my reps were 8, 7, 8, 6, 10. I know I'm averaging about 8 reps. My goal is now to get my 8s into 10s. But if I get 10, I won't stop. If I get less than 8, I won't injure myself by pushing beyond what I can handle (can always do a sixth set to get more rest in). All I'm trying to do is exceed my average volume. Once I can lift 5x12 perfectly (slow count, minimal rest period), I'm ready to up the weight. I try to go up to a weight that I can work 5x5, sometimes it's 5lbs, sometimes it's 10lbs. For isolation exercises, I push the volume up much higher. The smaller the muscle, the higher volume I go for, with Lateral Raises probably being the highest rep & lowest weight of exercises I consistently do.

Is this NOT what most guys do? I see more people on /fit/ meticulously counting their 5x5s and calculating what their 87.25% of 1RM is. I just can't be assed. I see I did 8 last time, I need to do 10 now. I see I did 170 last time, I need to do 175 or 180 now. I get it if you're on a Linear Progression program, but the more intermediate periodization programs just confuse me.
>>
>>41714596
sauce?
>>
Do as many reps per rep

Get the lower body engaged always

Get the upper body flexin'

as many reps as you can on every rep every time

do it big
>>
>>41714596
>Is this NOT what most guys do?
it's what I do, but it's not going to push your strength up quickly but it'll make you bigger
>>
>>41714596

AMRAP
Do you mean AMBRAP OP?
>>
>>41714600
check file name

>>41714620
Give me long, slow braps. Time under tension. Time under brap.....sniff sniff, very nice.
>>
>>41714600
You better be joking.
>>
>>41714610
I know it's an instant flameup, but I question the concept of strength in LP "4 big lifts" programs. Yes, I know guys who are 1/2/3/4 and beyond are capable of doing something a lot of bodybuilders cannot do. But you can take both the bodybuilder and the stronglifter and they can both be shit at doing things like moving heavy boxes up and down 10 flights of stairs. Functional strength is trained by strongmen who lift oddly-shaped weight and carry it dynamically. But the big four movements are limited in application, so stronglifters end up being merely conditioned for those exercises, similar to someone who trained for a marathon, or better someone who can did couch-to-100-pushups. Like, yeah, you can do pushups, but you don't really put on muscle, and you don't really get strong except at the ability to do a lot of pushups. The stronglifter can 1/2/3/4 for 5x5, and it is good up to a point that you can move a higher weight for more reps, which is why it's still solid for novices. Someone else can do more reps with a lighter load. Someone else can actually move those big boxes around on a moving truck.

I'd rather move a weight for 5x5, and work up to moving it 5x12, mastering it by shortening my rest periods, slowing down the eccentric portion, getting more explosive on the concentric, even do some 1.5 reps. Strength is really in the core and the small stabilizers, and the joints.
>>
>>41714721
either way you're going to get strong enough for everyday tasks and helping others move houses, getting stronger than that is just ego
there are bodybuilders that cannot squat 140 kg and have been lifting for many years and a newb can train to lift that within a year, will you ever need to squat that weight? probably not

and yeah I know people here can't agree that training for hypertrophy and strength are different and that strength = size which is complete bullshit if you've lifted over a year
>>
>>41714620
beat me to it you sucker
>>
>>41714609
If you have the upper body then you don't have the lower body if you have the upper body you have a problem
>>
>>41714791
I guess what I was trying to say is that stronglifters think they have general strength, but it's not really the case. There are guys who can squat 300lbs but can't do pistol squats. Each exercises has to be conditioned. Meanwhile, the strongest people are the ones who don't work out at all, but have difficult jobs, working 10 hours a day, basically performing strongman movements like farmers walks and turkish getups as part of their jobs. But they probably can't do 1/2/3/4, they also probably can't do 100 pushups.

And this is why I don't care about strength training as a number one goal.
>>
>>41714910
>And this is why I don't care about strength training as a number one goal.
I don't believe the majority of this board should, but they do for reasons
>>
>>41714910
a pistol squat has more to do with mobility especially ankle and balance than strength
stop spouting bullshit the strongest people surley are not the ones not working out or do you see construction workers suddenly win the olympics or strong man events?
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.