[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

is keto a meme?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 11

File: Keto.jpg (77KB, 1200x616px) Image search: [Google]
Keto.jpg
77KB, 1200x616px
Considering keto, but i have a few questions about it – hard

keto talks about eating mainly fats and proteins with as few carbs as possible and these are the suggested sources of these macronutrients:

>Meats, Leafy Greens, Above ground vegetables, High Fat Dairy, Nuts and seeds, Avocado and berries, Sweeteners, and Other fats

My question is how are you supposed to eat over 100g of fats everyday without carbs?
>milk has carbs
>nuts have carbs
>vegetables have carbs

Essentially the only thing on the list that does not include carbs is the meat, so are you just supposed to eat meat all the time or something?
if so how do you afford that amount of meat?
>>
>>41713894
>– hard
this was not meant to be in the post
>>
Nigga how hard is it to google this shit?
>>
Don't eat carby vegetables.

Eat the ones high in soluble fiber and vitamins.

Eat protein and vegetables. Eat whatever, just don't have carbs. It will be tough transitioning, but your body will feel good after.

There are a lot of recipes out there to make the carby foods you missed with other ingredients, and they taste good.
>>
>>41713894
>milk has carbs
no milk on keto, diary is a select few cheeses (cheddar, comte, parmeggiano, hard cheess with high fat, low carb)

Keto is not no carb as in zero carbs, that's virtually impossible. Keto is no more than 5-10% of your calories from carbs.

Stick to carbs from veggies (brocolis, salad, spinach, avocado) and whatever small amount of carbs are in your high-fat foods, and you can have a serving of greens with every meal, plus some nuts as a snack.

Keto was never a 100% bacon diet, there are some carbs involved.

>Essentially the only thing on the list that does not include carbs is the meat, so are you just supposed to eat meat all the time or something?
if so how do you afford that amount of meat?

Meat is rich in protein, which you want to keep moderate on keto. Meat intake shouldn't increase that much, instead increase high-fat/low-average proton food.

Eggs, cheese, heavy cream, avocado,
cook everything in butter, nuts(almonds and walnuts/pecans are GOAT).
Keto is one serving of meat per meal, no more than a regular diet.
>>
Keto fixed my test. Would recommend.
>>
I lost over 50 pounds on keto bit I still feel dead inside.
>>
>>41713894
eggs
cheese
grass-fed butter
olive, avocado, coconut oils
>>
>>41716345
Lol I doubt it.
>>
If you're sedentary yes it's ok .
If you do any kind of real physical activities and want to seriously improve in it , don't even consider keto .
>>
File: 1496283967258.jpg (72KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1496283967258.jpg
72KB, 640x640px
>>41718293
the "you need carbs for energy" meme. one of my favorites
>>
>>41714621
define carby vegetables
>>
>>41718293

"Train low, race high" you filthy pleb. The lower the carbs the better for good athletic training.
>>
>>41718371
Carby vegetables
noun
Vegetables high in carbs.
>>
>>41718318
You don't need carb for the energy required to be a sedentary piece of shit or a 3x a week SS-dyel .
If you do any athletic sport seriously you can't fucking function on a low fat diet .

>>41718398
Nice , thanks for the tips man , I love training while also being unable to sustain my Vo2max for more than 5 min .
>>
>>41718371
i think he meant starchy vegetables, like potatoes and whatnot
>>
File: FellForTheKetoMeme.jpg (44KB, 636x358px) Image search: [Google]
FellForTheKetoMeme.jpg
44KB, 636x358px
>>41713894
>how am I supposed to eat over 100g of fats
A tablespoon full of MCT oil or coconut oil will hit the spot. If you cook, drench that shit in olive oil or butter.
>>
>>41718318
you need carbs for high-intensity endurance sports which your obviously don't do
>>
File: 1496677078703.jpg (165KB, 1199x828px) Image search: [Google]
1496677078703.jpg
165KB, 1199x828px
>>41713894
>>
>>41713894
Your strenght gains and explosiveness will slow down a bit but you will feel like really good in ketosis, also got low bodyfat without never feeling hungry.

Switched back to carbs because i cut meat 8.5 hours a day while standing and i also lift.

i noticed carbs for body are like nitro for cars; they improve your performance but aren't necessarily healthy for you. Just make sure you burn them all so you wont get fat.
>>
>>41713894
Your brain needs ~120g of carbs per day to function.

When you are on keto, your body will try to produce glucose from fat.
Now thats a bad quality glucose, it's like trying to make plastic back into oil ( not the best paradigm ) .

Also your blood ketones levels rises from that process, if you get too high levels that can have serious hazards for your health.

I am against keto diets, eat healty and a lot of raw food like veggies and stuff.
>>
>>41713894
they have carbs but they have more fiber, which isnt usable, than starches or sugars

use a nutrient tracker, I use cronometer which lists all the minerals and vitamins too. For example I got 55g of total carbs for today, which 27g of fiber; which gives 55-27=28g of net carbs which are actually absorbed.
>>41718572
While this is essentially correct, what tool you use to make things easier do matter. Keto fucks with your hunger and cravings for most people so its usually preferred over a regular diet with a deficit
>>
>>41720314
I used to be really against keto too, was mostly ignorance. Ketones actually fuel the brain very well

If it makes you doubt then where did the cavemen get his energy from? There were no calorie dense carb sources available. Dont say fruit because fruit back then wasnt even close to what it is today, size or nutrient wise.

Basicly comes down to vegetables and animal meat/fats. Then ran their body on ketones back then. When we started growing as a population due settling down they used grains to fuel it, which is easy to considering how much food calorie wise you can get off of grains
>>
How dead would I be if I just ate 2500 calories of Jarrow unflavored whey and nothing else a day?
>>
>>41718407
>can't function on a low fat diet
It's actually high fat, ya dingus. We're talking about low carbs. Also, I work at a warehouse with 10 hour shifts. I eat less than my coworkers, have more energy than them, don't crash after lunch, and can keep a steady pace virtually all day.
>>
>>41713894
Keto is a meme. Zero Carb is the superior way of eating in every way.
>>
>>41720418

>If it makes you doubt then where did the cavemen get his energy from?

Carbs.

http://www.vladozlatos.com/project/files/pages/1863/paleo-3.paleolithic-nutrition.pdf

>HG CHO consumption ranged widely, from about 35%-65%, 10,13,47 with perhaps 2%-3% from honey. Cereal grains (85% refined) are our largest single CHO source, with dairy products another significant contributor. HGs had little of either, so nearly all CHO came from fruits and vegetables

How the fuck would they have found and eaten enough fat to be in ketosis? They didn't have butter and coconut oil and wild animals are lean as fuck
>>
>>41720418
>Ketones actually fuel the brain very well

for a brainlet on anticonvulsants
>>
>>41723780

They ate the whole animal, do you know how much fat is in organ meat and marrow?
>>
>>41724111

Not nearly enough for that to make any sense.
>>
>>41721863
Not enough fat, too many carbs.
Roughly 26.5 servings, with both at 2g per serving.
Mix each meal with a 14 oz jar of LouAnn Coconut Oil to maintain those good fat/protein levels. May help it go down easier and squeeze out easier that way.
>>
>>41718253
dunno what it did for that guy, but I've been having my strongest erections in like 5 fucking years since I started keto
>>
>>41721863
You would be over the human cap on protein metabolism and be at risk for rabbit starvation in the long term, assuming you could consistently get it all down without vomiting.
>>
File: meal.jpg (119KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
meal.jpg
119KB, 1024x768px
Is this /fit/ approved? Rate please
>>
>>41724374
10/10 heart attack and 10/10 malignant tumor
>>
>>41724374
fat fat fat, it CLOGS your arteries and KILLS you, enjoy dying in your early 20's

do an all-vegan diet, carbs only, for optimal health
>>
>>41724374

Does anyone attempt a decently healthy version of keto? All I ever see people post is bacon and egg kind of shit
>>
>>41718293
You are figuratively and literally a fucking idiot
>>
>>41720314
Yeah. You're stupid and what you said is complete shit. The brain doesn't need that many carbs. Where did you read that from retard.
>>
>>41724395
>>41724412
>>41724466
If he is bulking then that meal is fine
>>
>>41724466
Hey man theres avocados there
If it has vegetables its healthy bro
>>
File: Screenshot_20170608-000223.png (517KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170608-000223.png
517KB, 1080x1920px
>>41724228

Wat
>>
>>41713894
if you're doing keto for weight loss you don't have to eat 100g+ fat everyday. just focus on keeping carbs <20g, and sugar are almost entirely eliminated, and everything will go fine. it's really fucking stupidly easy.
>>
>>41724374
looks like a good breakfast. don't listen to the soy shills, their gyno tits bounce while they type.
>>
>>41724567

>bulking on keto
>>
>>41713894
You don't HAVE to reach the fat goal. The important thing is not to go over on carbs. Fattys see keto as high fat and think they can eat as much fat as they want. If you eat too much fat you won't lose any body fat.
>>
>>41724567
It's even more unhealthy at a caloric surplus
>>
dumbest meme diet ever
>>
How do you go about calculating your fat intake on keto?
If you slather coconut or olive oil on a pan to cook your food how do you know how much of that you're actually eating?
>>
>>41724871
measure it lol............
>>
>>41718572
/thread
>>
>>41718572
>he fell for the calories in calories out meme
>>
>>41723780
>wild animals are lean as fuck
not their organs. lean meat was given to the dogs.
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (46KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
46KB, 1280x720px
>>41725361

>cavemen hunted, threw the meat away, and just ate the organs
>>
I got the keto rash bad, this is my third time trying keto and every time I had to stop because I got the fucking keto rash. It really sucks because I think its the most advanced diet out there. Antibiotics would do it but fuck that. Anybody experience the same?
>>
>>41718572
Wrong, if you are in ketosis calories don't matter. You should check out Jason Wittrock on Youtube. He is 160lbs and ate 4000cal for 21 days keto and actually lost 2lbs. Crazy shit
>>
>>41724466
Yeah I dropped 40 lbs on keto and kept my fat sources healthy, fish, coconut oil grass fed meats etc, felt really good till I hit about 14% body fat then it was like I needed carbs back, my workouts started suffering badly, lifts were dropping, so I'm back on macro counting with a moderate carb intake, made it to 12%, only 3 more to go, I've never seen myself in single digit body fat and I'm 31, gotta do this now before I'm too old to cut that far
>>
>>41725453
this is what studies of hunter gatherers like the eskimo find. they'd take all the fatty organs like the brain, liver and lungs and the fattiest cuts of meat and give the lean meat to their dogs. obviously not when times were tough however.
>>
>>41725525
Stay keto but try carb-backloading on your heavy lift days. I'm in my early thirties and it's working for me.
>>
>>41718517
>If you cook, drench that shit in olive oil or butter
I fucking love heart disease
>>
>>41725490
false
>>
File: american-psycho-bateman[1].jpg (62KB, 600x327px) Image search: [Google]
american-psycho-bateman[1].jpg
62KB, 600x327px
>>41725525

> kept my fat sources healthy
>coconut oil grass fed meats etc
>>
>>41725577

Inuits live in the only place in the world where animals have enough blubber to induce ketosis, not at all representative of our ancestral hunter gatherers and even they don't live in a ketogenic state
>>
>>41725692
nah breh our ancestors lived off kale shakes and 40 bananas a day which are bountiful in areas of near permanent frost like most of paleolithic europe
>>
>>41725753

Something like that. Small game, tubers, fruits, and leafy plants.
>>
>>41720418
>If it makes you doubt then where did the cavemen get his energy from? There were no calorie dense carb sources available. Dont say fruit because fruit back then wasnt even close to what it is today, size or nutrient wise.
Fruit, honey, grains.

Yes, cavemen already ate bread or porridge.
>>
>>41724610
Ever had bone marrow? Obviously not.
Also, the only organ that's really fat is the brain. Good luck keto'ing your whole group with 1 brain and a few bones.

Fucking American education. You guys watch too much TV.
>>
>>41725831

I don't know about bread but they definitely ate wild grains and had some methods of processing them.

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/humans-feasting-on-grains-for-at-least-100000-years/

http://theplate.nationalgeographic.com/2015/09/11/ancient-oat-discovery-may-poke-more-holes-in-paleo-diet/
>>
>>41723469
Any type of constrution / manual working is far far from athletic , off course you can do that shit while on keto .
And yes I made a mistake I meant to say low carb .
>>
I've been doing keto for a week and went from 165 lb to 158 lbs

Macadamia nuts are your best friends
>>
>>41724610
>No carbs
>No protein
>7g uncategorised fat
>126 calories

seems legit
>>
>>41725610
>being this delusional
>>
>>41713894

>Is keto a meme

Yes god FUCKING DAMN IT

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/316911061_A_Calorie_is_Still_a_Calorie_According_to_Rigorous_New_Evidence

Just fucking stop with this shit meme already holy FUCK.
>>
Try training seriously for more than 3 hours a day while on keto .
If you seriously want to get better at any sports you need carbs , you could gimp yourself and do something like a TKD or CKD , or you could not be a retard and EAT CARBS .

Most of the calories burned by exercise will be EPOC , which is entirely dependent of the intensity & duration of the exercise .

You could do 50 min fasted & keto cardio like a mong , you may burn some cals but the intensity & duration will be so shity that the EPOC won't even match the workout .

Or you could push yourself to 100% Vo2Max Way more often ( which you can't do on keto ) & burn crazy amount of calories through EPOC & the workout itself , offcourse most of that will be carbs if you look at the % , but in the end 30% energy from fat in a Fucking intense workout will yeld more fat loss than 90% energy from fat during low intensity can't even push past 70% Vo2max Keto workout
>>
>>41726001
TL;DR
>Want to forever be in the same group as the grannies who co at 11 kp/h on the sidewalk ?
Keto is for you .
>Want to really push yourself and make sick gains ( athletic , aesthetic, I.E: get fitter ) ?
You need carbs

Keto-er often compare themselves to animal saying shit like : Eat like a hunter not a Prey , but most of the keto communities is made of sedentary people trying to lose weight .
>>
File: low carb vs low fat.png (158KB, 1219x846px) Image search: [Google]
low carb vs low fat.png
158KB, 1219x846px
>>41713894

The single only objective fucking advantage keto has over regular medium-high protein and high carb diets is the fact that you will have a more steady flow of energy, which is better for VERY long distance running and activity, but it will still negatively impact your overall performance for anything shorter than a fucking marathon.
Sprinters eat a FUCKLOAD of carbs, they need carbs to perform, and sprinting is even longer duration than weightlifting or bodybuilding, so how the fuck do you expect to get good results on keto.

>b-but keto is better for ppl who aren't active

No.
>>
>>41726120
The twist with ketard is that they constantly spout that " carbs is not an essential macro" because a single study said so on wikipedia , but they don't acknowledge the fact that 3 line above that it says that the only essential fat are Omega 6 & 3 .

Keto is good if you want to condition yourself to do low energy shit at a low energy intake .
>>
>>41726120
Regardless of your opinions I've found that food that keto allows is generally more filling than most of the carbs I eat.
It might be placebo, but for me it was easy to eat 1500 calories of carbs, but it's actually difficult for me to eat 1000 calories of protein/fat in one sitting.

Then again all I do is walk each day and do starting strength so I put literally no value in athleticism.
>>
>>41726233
Yeah keto is good if you want to learn how to live with low energy intake & need .
>>
>>41726217

>but they don't acknowledge the fact that 3 line above that it says that the only essential fat are Omega 6 & 3 .

Which ironically they usually claim is bad for you, and that they prefer the non-essential saturated fats.
>>
>>41726233
because fat sits in your stomach longer because it's more complex to break down. also eating protons is harder because you're eating a chicken breast that is 10% water vs kale that's 90% water. I always have to have an acidic drink with me after eating very rare steak or else it will sit in my stomach for 45 mins making me useless.
>>
>>41713894
>Everything has carbs
Protip: Dietary Fibre doesn't count towards your carbs. Subtract them from everything.
>>
>>41725610
>He still thinks fats are linked to heart disease
>Hasn't learned that sugar is the true evil

Enjoy your 65 year lifespan
>>
File: Banana1[1].jpg (100KB, 1360x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Banana1[1].jpg
100KB, 1360x1024px
>>41725831
>fruit
this is what a banana looked like before we domesticated them

Really makes you think
>>
>>41726300

You use the phrase "red pill" don't you?
>>
Protein is by far the single most important macronutrient that will actually determine how much lean body mass or fat you are gonna lose/gain.
You already have fat in your body, carbs increase performance and are used for energy first, they are stored only second if taken too many.

Hormones like insulin despite being correlated with lipid synthesis make 0 difference at the end of the day, and insulin is anti catabolic, so by reducing it you're effectively cucking yourself.

Fat is stored FIRST regardless if you are in keto or not, it's just that in keto you burn more fat for energy after it is stored in your adipose tissue, but you still store MORE fat at the end of the day on the basis that fat is your biggest macro on keto and all fat you eat gets stored first, and only a tiny ammount gets used for organ function.
If you eat too much protein some of it will end up being turned into glucose, taking you out of ketosis, so you're basically fucked if you wanna maximize protein intake and therefore muscle protein synthesis.

I wish keto was superior to high carb diets, I really do, because I did this diet for weeks and I got into ketosis in like 5 days due to being a low carb guy myself beforehand, but it made me feel like shit, it made cooking way easier, travelling on just cooked ground beef and eggs made me feel good and it was easy to carry with me.
The problem is that it isn't exactly healthy, and it makes you feel like shit when doing something intense like dashing or even lifting weights.
If you carbload you can make it work but seriously I don't get the point of going through full ketosis adaptation and then binging on carbs, it's not something that's long term for most people.
>>
>>41726319
>and insulin is anti catabolic
ketones too when it comes to leanmass
>>
>>41726332

Ketones contain calories/energy, which make them anti catabolic by proxy.
Insulin is a hormone that regulates blood sugar among a bunch of other things like effectively improving the transition of energy to your muscles and prevent them from losing muscle proteins, and this is without the inclusion of energy.
>>
>>41726319
>He still thinks fat makes you fat
>>
>>41726277
>>41726245
Yeah, and in my experience keto is fantastic for me, because all I do is lift to prevent being skinnyfat when I'm done losing weight.
I highly doubt it's a good diet for an athlete, but then again that doesn't really matter in my instance, so I don't think you can just go and say "keto is shit" without first saying who you're examining it's use on.
>>
>>41725919
>>41726300
>trusting keto blogs and paleo gurus vs cutting edge nutrition science

You guys are a special kind of retarded
>>
>>41726120
Marathons and ultra-marathons are fueled by carbs. Even longer distance shit is as well unless you're denied refeed periods and loading. Metabolically flexible mitochondria that burn both carbs and fats according to the demands of the training regime are always going to provide steadier energy than those gridlocked into just fat.
>>
File: image.jpg (29KB, 588x287px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
29KB, 588x287px
>>41724610
Game animals have virtually no marrow fat though. You're inappropriately comparing them to sedentary cows.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/jbmr.3159/abstract

They're only remotely ketogenic during the winter, assuming you're a decent distance away from the equator, and most hominin weren't or migrated during this time

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/81/2/341/F6.expansion.html

and even here did not constitute a significant portion of calories. Carby underground storage organs (tubers, roots, corms, bulbs) were much more predominant as fallback foods

http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/doi/abs/10.1086/682587
>>
>>41724544

I got T1 diabetes, i visited the diet doctor and had a long talk.
>>
>>41727366
yeah i forgot to add, that doctor has a phd so i dont think he was bullshiting me
Thread posts: 95
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.