[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Help my mom get /fit/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: feels.png (440KB, 565x452px) Image search: [Google]
feels.png
440KB, 565x452px
Hi guys, my mom is in her late 40's and is looking to get fit. She's insistent that she basically wants a workout DVD to follow along with.

I'm sort of new to being /fit/ (been working out for ~2 years consistently) and know nothing about training women -- much less middle-aged women. What should I be looking for?
>>
>>41671900
You should have her start doing cardio and basic weight training
It will help her bone density. Ensure she gets enough protein and calcium, as women need that in their later years. Be mindful that her recovery time idea lot slower than yours, but make sure she is unafraid to push herself. Also make sure she finds a good stretching routinr. Yoga could do all of what I suggested in one felll swoop, but it take a commitment
>>
>>41671934
actually, women recover much faster than man.
>>
>>41671956
source
>>
>>41671956
Thats true but i think in the context of a 40 year old woman with little training if any OP shouldnt expect her to keep up with his training days. But like the guy youre replying to mentioned, that shouldnt stop her from pushing herself to go even when shes a little sore
>>
>>41671956
I'd like source too
>>
>>41671986
>https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20625191

This isnt the study i was thinking of. I couldnt find it but this one illustrates the difference. However it was done on a small scale so that has to be taken into account
>>
>>41671934
what are basic weight routine
>>
>>41672061
Well shit I guess women should be training every 4 hours
>>
>>41672101
Read the sticky for that one. But for the most part beginners respond well to full body workouts so do a little googling for routines that she can do.

The most important part about this though is keeping her consistent. Make her give you a longterm goal. Then give her easily achievable short term goals. Dont make the short term goals to hard otherwise if she fails them it might demotivate her. Hold her accountable.

Also a side note: if shes trying to lose weight have her count how many calories she eats in a week. A lot of the time people dont realize how much they actually consume or dont realize how many calories something has.

Theres so much to learn and talk about i could go on forever but for the most part that forst poster hit it right on the head
>>
>>41672113
Yeah it seems a little unbelievable but until i can find the other source it all i have. But anecdotally i have female friends who, while not recovering in just 4 hours, often seem able to work out everyday while i can go every other day.
This could be because i lift heavier and therfore put more strain on my body than they do though
>>
>>41672061
>https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20625191
uh... I'm curious of what the results would be if the tests were made with a fixed weight instead of % of 1RM
>>
>>41672200
Yeah I'd need to see some other studies to believe women have faster recovery times, I can't know for sure but I feel there was too much leeway for the women in the study to just not exert themselves very much.
>>
>>41671900
pilates
>>
>>41672208
I think thats a little bit of unfair measurment unfortunately. Women are a lot weaker than men especially im regards to upper body strength. So a 100 pound bench press is going to be more physically exhausting for a women than a man. The percentage of your 1rm takes into account individual strength. So 80% of a powerlifters 1rm is supposed to be the same amount of exertion as 80% of a newbie lifters 1rm in theory.

I think that percentage is flawed however and a lot of lifters and coaches use Rate of Percieved Exertion (RPE) as a better measurement of exertion. One of the big flaws for RPE though is that unless you have a year or two of lifting under your belt, your perception of how much you exerted yourself is gonna be skewed. Especially if youve never wprked out before, youll thimk that whatever youre doimg is going to be hard as fuck.
>>
>>41672308
I don't think he meant fixed weight for both genders
>>
>>41671900
Let me have her for a while.

I'd bang the fat out of her.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.