[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does exercise help with depression or is that a meme

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

Does exercise help with depression or is that a meme
>>
File: 1462789339632.jpg (332KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
1462789339632.jpg
332KB, 2048x1536px
>>41665148
It certainly helps but its no cure. It does help with the release of endorphins but for me the it helped me organize my day, keep my diet and sleep good which is all a part of getting your life back on track.
>>
meme, got depressed after I got fit and it didn't fix my life nor my social ineptitude
>>
>>41665148
it helps
>>
>>41665240
Lifting can fix depression but it can't fix autism
>>
>>41665148
It doesn't fix it completely for me. But when I feel depressed, it help to go to the gyn and empty my head for a while. Maybe it's a placebo, but it gives you an option to do something, and that alone helps. I'm happier than before, so I keep doing it.
>>
>>41665148

Might help, but depression is just shitty mental conditioning so it's not going to be fixed by fitness. Not being depressed is a matter of mental fitness and not giving in to the idea of being owed something, destined for something, but that you do in fact have to work for everything and you make your own life. "Depression" is really mostly a product of western culture's obsession with classifying behaviors as diseases that we cannot fix.

Think about it: Day after day, you are the one choosing to be depressed. There isn't some magical illness. You haven't been diagnosed by actual criteria that people usually use to diagnose. Some quack in a chair asked you if you were sad a lot, you said yes, and so they say you're depressed. That's the extent of it.

The only person holding you back is you. You are choosing to be sad. You are choosing apathy. You are choosing self-pity. You don't want to admit that(nobody with depression does, it's always out of their control), but that's how it really is. You can buy the mental illness meme if you want, but all you're doing is reinforcing you sitting there feeling sorry for yourself.
>>
>>41665148

It can help. It will _especially_ help if you're already habitually exercising & will go seeking your endorphin rush and leave the house.

http://www.webmd.com/depression/guide/exercise-depression#1

It won't solve everything.
>>
>>41665302
Maybe it's not your experience, but depression is not something you can overcome by enlightenment. It's a chemical imbalance that influences your thinking and mood. Combating the symptoms doesn't work in the long run.
>>
>>41665148
Where to cop?
>>
>>41665353
>It's a chemical imbalance that influences your thinking and mood. Combating the symptoms doesn't work in the long run.

Yeah I and others just all happen to be the guys that weren't "chemically imbalanced" and got out of our "depression"(I was diagnosed by a psychiatrist, even! Whoa!).

But you are. Your depression is real and totally a sickness. Because someone totally analyzed you and diagnosed you, right? They didn't just ask you questions...no, that would be silly. They physically examined you and determined that you had a chemical imbalance. There's no other reason you would claim to have such a thing, right?

Enjoy your shit life. That's all I can say. My experience is that depressed people have poor mental conditioning, and it is always the case. They always think they're one of the "real ones", and the truth is they're one of hundreds of thousands of sad people that can't get their shit together in their head and stop succumbing to weak behavior.
>>
File: 1448738832882.jpg (220KB, 1366x2048px) Image search: [Google]
1448738832882.jpg
220KB, 1366x2048px
>>41665148
Sometimes, people who are depressed usually live very monotonous lives that involve hours of alone time indoors where they can reflect on their depression.

TBQH anything that gets your mind off of whatever your problem/issue/focus is can help. The more taxing the activity the less you care about your problems, a lot of people just need some excitement in their boring life.

Theres are just some basic and pretty cheap ideas, the more outdoors the better.

>Lifting
>Sports
>Running
>Mountain biking
>Swimming
>>
>>41665148
It helps quite a lot. Maybe cause of the hormones, maybe the sense of progress (lifting more or losing weight every week) or the fact that it gives you a long term goal.

also take a look this vid if derpessed/unhappy;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO1mTELoj6o
>>
>>41665391
I think it's great that you found a solution for yourself, that must have been hard. I'm not saying that there aren't people that just need an excuse to stay passive all their lives, that's certainly true. For me, I have ups and downs, and they are not influenced by anything external, at least I don't think so. I just can't get out of bed some days and blame myself for everything. It's irrational and in hindsight very obvious, but at the time that's just what happens.
>>
SOMEONE
>>
WILL
>>
File: JP.jpg (65KB, 590x350px) Image search: [Google]
JP.jpg
65KB, 590x350px
>>41665148

It helps massively in two ways:

1. The endorphins/hormones produced while exercising DO have a positive impact on your mood and,
2. Being able to set a schedule, see progress and have pride in something that you've done yourself is a HUGE help pulling you out of depression. Depression can pretty succinctly be descried as 'lack of motivation to do anything combined with general lack of emotion, especially positive emotion', at least in my experience, and for me lifting was one of the main handholds I get grasp to help pull myself out of depression. If isn't going to be a magic bullet, you might need to still sort yourself out or take medication depending on why you have depression, but it will help quite a bit.

Good luck m8
Lifting helped me
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.