[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Busting the myths of lifting.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 178
Thread images: 12

File: backbusters.jpg (107KB, 636x752px) Image search: [Google]
backbusters.jpg
107KB, 636x752px
Can anyone prove with evidence that deadlifting can cause spinal injury?

I see people saying deadlifting is dangerous for the spine all the time but there is literally not a single shred of evidence to support this claim.

There's countless videos of other injuries that are common from all the lifts.
>>
>>41624545
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4127580/Man-snaps-spine-doing-heavy-dead-lift.html

First result on google
>inb4 le dailymail

Just do your research it's obvious
>>
>>41624584

Not caused by deadlifting. read the article.
>>
Bad form and going too heavy is dangerous.

Just dead lift once a weak and do weighted glute ham raises and low weight explosive deadlifts like the Texas Method suggests and you should be fine my dude. Deload when you plateau and you shouldn't hurt yourself.

But form form form form.
>>
>>41624625
This it's le impossible to get injured by deadlifting.
Ignore all posters and all people who complain about chronic back pain and other stuff
>>
>>41624545
The truth is deadlifts themselves don't. It's mechanically impossible. Which is why NOONE will provide a study, or even a single case of a spinal (not muscular) injury caused by a deadlift (NOT caused by falling on a barbell or whatever)
>>
are you implying that there are no powerlifters with spine injuries because the're a fuckload of them

its not the deadlifting itself its lumbar flexion under a heavy load that does it
>>
>>41624656

Chronic back =/= spinal injury.

>>41624626
>Bad form and going too heavy is dangerous.
To the spine? Evidence when?
>>
>>41624681

I'm not implying anything.
Simply asking why there is no video evidence of spinal injury occuring during deadlift, when theres plenty of videos of the other "common" injuries happening during their respective lifts.
>>
Unbearably painful herniated disc from deadlifting seems to be incredibly common. Just google herniated disc + deadlift. A herniated disc can happen from all sorts of things and you may not even know they exist and have them but only deadlifting seems to bring about the most consistently painful varieties of them. It's common sense that applying abnormal amounts of load to your body is going to have greater potential to exacerbate any problem you could have, moreso than the relatively light weight loads you deal with in every day life. Not everyone has problems deadlifting, either but it does seem very common.
>>
>>41624743
>Just google herniated disc + deadlift.

Why say this like the results show evidence of deadlifting causing it? did you even try it yourself? It doesn't show that. Its ALL about rehabbing a herniated disc.

>either but it does seem very common.
then where is the EVIDENCE?
>>
I can't believe how hard /fit/ will try and defend something that has NO evidence.

You're usually a pretty smart board.
But this is akin to people saying God is real because the bible says so.
>>
fucking hell not this guy again
>>
>>41624827

I'll stop when people can either prove to me that deadlifting is dangerous to the spine, or when enough people stop parroting the lie that deadlifting is dangerous to the spine.
>>
>you can be big and lean as natural
>>
>>41624847
Your wife's pussy smells even worse than your son says my penis tastes.
>>
you have to be stupid to think that deadlifts with bad form wouldn't fuck your back lol
you guys are like those "420 blazeit" dudes from couple years ago that thought that weed was the cure for cancer and everything else
>>
>>41624791
You're being highly illogical. Anytime you get injured doing anything, there's some physical activity that precedes it. The incidence of excessive pain from herniated disc during or after deadlifting is very high. This kind of anecdotal evidence goes without question; it's how doctors themselves gather information from injury. It's the most basic, telling and accurate form of proof you can possibly get.

I'm not sure what reason you have for being in such denial. Perhaps you'd like to explain what reason you have for demanding such abnormal degree of proof? Are you trying to avoid a lawsuit or something?
>>
>>41624827
8/10 bait
He is persistent and consistent in tone.
>>
Do lighter weight and more reps people who just want to be strong to show others are cringy as fuc
>>
File: IMG_0282.jpg (27KB, 306x344px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0282.jpg
27KB, 306x344px
>>41624584
Fake and gay you dumb dyel
>>
>>41624877
>you have to be stupid to think that deadlifts with bad form wouldn't fuck your back lol

You have to be stupid to say that god doesnt exist.
you're literally asserting something without evidence. And you're acting like because everyone parrots it, that thinking otherwise must be dumb. If its so obvious and true then WHERE IS THE EVIDENCE? It shouldn't take long to find it should it?

>>41624878
>he incidence of excessive pain from herniated disc during or after deadlifting is very high.

Prove it, why can't you just prove it?
>abnormal degree of proof
Mate even one example would do, I'm going easy on you here, come on just one?

>>41624883
Not bait. Find me evidence of a barbell deadlift causing spinal injury. You can't.

Lol you're all the ones in denial because you KNOW you can't even find a shred of evidence but you just can't face that conventional wisdom might be wrong.
>>
>>41624950
> Prove it, why can't you just prove it?
I guess I've been around too long because I frequent fitness discussions around the web for years and have become jaded to deadlift + herniated disc posts which have an abnormally high incidence. The fact this thread exists is testament to my utterly logical conclusion: you wouldn't feel compelled to make threads like these if you didn't feel like there were many, many, MANY people complaining of deadlift injuries. Again, it's professional protocol to ask an injury victim which physical activities they performed prior to injury, in this case, it's deadlift.
>>
>>41624694
you'd just see someone dropping the bar and walking weird. It's not spectacular to see. It happens pretty often. It even happens to elite powerlifters
>>
>>41625005

Lol have you any idea how painful a spinal injury is? You wouldn't be quietly walking away from it. I'm not talking about muscular injuries.
Either way stop, moving the goalposts, I want to see evidence. Theres plenty of evidence of all other "common" injuries.

>>41624997
>I guess I've been around too long because I frequent fitness disc

Ahh the old appeal to wisdom.
Why is there so many videos of other injuries happening but none of spinal injuries that are oh so common?
>>
>>41625038
Goalposts are buried in the dirt, motherfucker. If anyone's moving them, it's whoever is dumb enough to attempt to deadlift them out of the ground, aka (You).
>>
>>41625038
> Ahh the old appeal to wisdom.
Why is there so many videos of other injuries happening but none of spinal injuries that are oh so common?

How about you first explain to us, oh wise one, how you became so interested in a topic that, in your logic, doesn't even exist? Was it not through the countless posts you've seen from others getting injured deadlifting? Or was it you just out of the blue decided to raise concern over a topic that clearly doesn't exist? It would seem rather obvious the nature of this topic requires many others to have been injured deadlifting or else it wouldn't exist. It's professionally sound to conclude these people got injured deadlifting.
>>
>>41625084

Because I always see people claiming deadlifting is dangerous to the spine.
But, when people claim other exercises (bench, squat etc) are dangerous, there is a lot of video evidence to back it up. Not so with deadlift and the spine.

You're barking up the wrong tree with your failure of a counterpoint mate.
>>
>>41625084
First of all, Fuck you.
Second of all, Suck my dick.
And finally, Eat out my fucking anus, you little dweeb.
Any questions?
>>
>>41625107
I don't always see people claim anything. What I do see is daily "hurt back deadlifting" posts. I'd disagree with anyone stating you shouldn't deadlift at face value. I'd agree that deadlifting yields an abnormally high rate of painful vertebral disc injuries. Perhaps you'd like to link us to all this literature stating deadlifts cause injury that you're retorting against? I don't see it anywhere. But I do see an awful lot of people getting injured deadlifting and that itself is proof right there.
>>
just to clear up, when someone here claims to have herniated a disc from performing a heavy deadlift, your position is that this person is lying?
>>
>>41625107
>Because I always see people claiming deadlifting is dangerous to the spine.
Are we seriously discussing semantics here? Do you have any idea how many misappropriated terms are being thrown around in fitness lingo? Yet you autistically obsess over the exact definition of the spine, as if you give a shit about other broscience memes
>>
>>41625181
>'d agree that deadlifting yields an abnormally high rate of painful vertebral disc injuries

I would agree too if I saw this evidence.

I'm not saying its literature, can't you read? Its conventional wisdom I'm taking issue with.
The same way the earth being flat used to be conventional wisdom.
>>
>>41625181
At least we know your neck will never be burdened with lifting anything heavy.
>>
>>41625200

No, can't you read?
I'm asking for video evidence of it happening. If its so common, where is it?
>>
What I've noticed is everyone who herniated a disc does it at complete baby weight, never 405+. I think people with shit genetics or degenerated discs from too much wow / CoD discover the fact God hates them while lifting.
>>
>>41625200

yes I can read, do you have memory functions?

>when enough people stop parroting the lie that deadlifting is dangerous to the spine

you have claimed that deadlifting being dangerous to the spine is a lie. I'm asking that when someone claims that a deadlift has indeed injured them (which I would suggest makes that deadlift "dangerous"), is your position that this person is lying?
>>
OP here.
I'm going to the gym.

Hope I don't get a spinal injury!!

If anyone can provide actual proof of a barbell deadlift directly causing a spinal injury by the time I'm back. I'll do 1000 pushups this evening.
>>
>>41625236
sorry, meant to direct you to here >>41625269
>>
a saw a guy get a free ticket to snap city at my uni gym. Does that not count? His nigger friend kept lifting too aha
>>
>>41625236
it happening as in the injury is captured fully in the time of the video? Do you think every injury to the back ends with putting you in a wheelchair 2min after the accident?
>>
>>41625269

No. I'm not in the business of accusation.
My position is that there is no EVIDENCE of it happening. There IS evidence of all the other "common" injuries happening during their respective lifts.
>>
>>41625289
no but if the video had sound you could at least hear the guy saying "i'm going to the wheelchair store." not like the camera would follow him there.
>>
>>41625289
>Do you think every injury to the back ends with putting you in a wheelchair 2min after the accident?

god you people are really getting the mental gymnastics on today.

I'm not saying EVERY injury would do that.
Just that for such a "common" injury there is zero examples of it happening directly during a barbell deadlift.
>>
>>41625228
If the evidence of countless people complaining of injury from deadlift online isn't good enough for you then it's unlikely you'll find it. Herniated disc pain usually takes a bit to manifest itself. It's highly unlikely anyone litetally snaps their spine in half deadlifting, if that's what you mean? I dunno your premise is too vague and retarded.

>>41625229
Oh child. I lift full body 2x per week and have a physical labor job as well I've played sports my whole life. I love physical fitness.
>>
>>41624584
>inb4 le dailymail
Doesnt change the fact that this paper's scientific reporting is questionable at best and outright extrapolation at worst. Fake.
>>
>>41625319
Right. I'm saying your head is empty.
>>
>>41625298
ok noted. So to clear up, you're not interested in ascertaining whether deadlifts cause injuries, or whether it is a lie that they do (as you claimed before);

you are only interested in the premise that there currently seem to exist no recordings of someone deadlifting and suffering an injury in the same video?
>>
>>41625344
well, that's...
Shut up, how about that? Can you shut the fuck up?
>>
>>41625298
A person stating they injured their back deadlifting is evidence, straight from the horse's mouth. An injured person would not lie about the nature of their injury as it only makes things worse.
>>
>>41625344

Yes that is correct.
I'm not closed off to accepting that deadlifts could cause spine injury, at all.
If someone can show real proof that it is a real danger, then I'll accept that and move on with my life.

But as it stands, theres as much evidence for it as there is for God's existence.

>>41625319
>If the evidence of countless people complaining of injury from deadlift online isn't good enough for you then it's unlikely you'll find it. Herniated disc pain usually takes a bit to manifest itself. It's highly unlikely anyone litetally snaps their spine in half deadlifting, if that's what you mean? I dunno your premise is too vague and retarded.

And there it is, try to sidestep the issue by moving the goalposts and muddying the waters.

All I'm asking for is evidence to support the commonly cited claim that deadlifting can lead to spinal injury

right, going gym, see you all in a bit.
>>
>>41625373

I'm not denying that they can injure their back
I'm asking for proof of injury to the SPINE.

I fully accept deadlifting can lead to lumbar erector, abdominal and even upper back muscular injury.

Please stop shifting the goal posts.
>>
>>41625314
You utter retard. Are you looking at this from a "deadlift" perspective? You know doctors dont classify it as a deadlift accident. DL is just an activity that increases the likelihood of a disc slipping. We need to be clear what exactly you are asking.
Whats the medical definition you are asking? How can we answer if we dont know what the fuck you mean. Discs slip out to various degrees. some experience tremendous discomfort, others not as much
>>
>>41625388
> All I'm asking for is evidence to support the commonly cited claim that deadlifting can lead to spinal injury
No, you're irrationally asking for a singular type of evidence, in video form. When you're being told a herniated disc wouldn't likely be visible in video form, it's not a visible muscle, a broken bone or rolled tendons and ligaments. You're being given the evidence of others stating how they got injured then saying it's not proof based on your illogical reasoning of video evidence being the only form of proof.
>>
>>41625388
regardless of the discussion in this thread, it's cosmically foolhardy to condescendingly insist for over an hour that deadlifting is safe and then leave by saying
>right, going gym, see you all in a bit.
>>
>>41625397
why do you take this term seriously and others not? Do you know how much broscience is spouted everywhere? Why take this at face value?
>>
File: fac.gif (1MB, 450x250px) Image search: [Google]
fac.gif
1MB, 450x250px
>>41625388
ok mate, congratulations, no one can produce a video of someone deadlifting and injuring their spine in the same video.

I suggest that most people here have been attempting to answer the larger question of whether deadlifts do actually cause spinal injury, which, logically, is neither proved nor disproved by the apparent fact that there isn't a video of it.
>>
>>41624545

For the retarded OP and to every other "no evidence" dipshit in the thread:

Look. Go ahead and lift heavy weight with a curved back. See what happens.

If it works out for you, great. If you get fucked up, it's all you. Arguing about this shit is fucking pointless.
>>
>>41625488
I injured my back deadlifting with a perfectly flat back without even using a challenging amount of weight. I don't even know how this round back meme started. You have to intentionally round your back to do that. It's not hard to use correct form deadlifting. Retards can do it. You can still get injured, even with correct form.
>>
>>41625488
I don't think there are any other "no evidence" dipshits, just OP

he's just going to reply to you saying YEAH BUT NO EVIDENCE WHY IS THERE NO EVIDENCE HMMMM???????
>>
>>41625517

Yes, that's the point. If having a curved back improves your lift, more power to you.

It's the arguing that's pointless. Everyone just lift however they want; at the end of the day, nobody gives a shit if you fuck yourself over, good form or bad form.
>>
>>41625549

He should just try the lift himself. If there's no evidence, why is he wasting time here?

Go to the gym and get those curved spine gains. I wanna see DEM HEAVY COCCYX GAINS BRAH
>>
>>41625597

Fuck it. For anyone who's in here I'm going to derail the thread.

So I'm trying to make an organic pre-workout. Yes, I know this is probably retarded but on days I don't have adequate rest the caffeine helps me get more power in my lifts.

What would you suggest for making a pre workout?
>>
>>41625703
I came up with a great one actually, see if you can find coffee beans (most supermarkets), then infuse that with water. lots of caffeine
>>
>>41625388
can you specify EXACTLY what kind of evidence are you looking for and what kind of spinal injury should be shown? are you looking for a video of someone's spine literally snapping in half by doing deadlifts?

you're basically saying that it is impossible to injure your spine because you believe that lifting a heavy weight entirely with your spine is harmless. BUT THEN HOW DO PEOPLE EVEN GET SPINE INJURIES? lifting a heavy weight in a wrong way is basically the only way to injure your spine unless you literally snap your spine, in which case you're probably gonna be paralyzed.
>>
OP here.

Back from gym, had a good workout.
I see nobody has provided any evidence yet.

The amount of denial in here is astounding, have we found something new that /fit/ gets really irrational about?

I seriously will happily change my mind if someone can prove that barbell deadlifts can cause a spinal injury. I'm not trying to troll. I really do just want to see evidence like there is for all the other common injuries.
>>
>>41625968
>you're basically saying that it is impossible to injure your spine because you believe that lifting a heavy weight entirely with your spine is harmless.

How are you getting these stupid assumptions from the simple question I asked.

Why is there no video of someone injuring their spine when doing a barbell deadlift?
>>
>>41624545
I got a small back injury, with good form and I wasn't pushing my peak
>>
>>41626009

Was it a spinal injury?
>>
File: spinal_column02.jpg (28KB, 200x746px) Image search: [Google]
spinal_column02.jpg
28KB, 200x746px
>>41626058
http://www.spinalinjury101.org/details/levels-of-injury

Which level is considered evidence?
>>
>>41626101
I asked for a video.
>>
Deadlifting can pull muscles in the lower back, causing spasms. People that don't know they have issues like degenerative disc disease, bulging/rupture discs/scoliosis, etc, can really be ruined.
>>
>>41625990
Show me someone injuring their knee with squats.
>>
>>41626215

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otqbG5CbZ7E
>>
>>41626215

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBE8JvbA95w
>>
>>41626215

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIpGYYmB7pc
>>
>>41625990
again, what are you looking for in a spine injury video? someone snapping their spine in half?
>>
>>41626301

Just someone injuring their spine.

I guess an injury would be defined as something that would necessitate time off the gym to recover.
>>
>>41626312
but spine injuries don't happen in seconds. they creep up on you over a couple of days after you strained your back.
>>
>>41625754

Underrated post
>>
>>41626349

So you agree with the original point then?
That deadlifting does not directly cause spinal injury?
Why are you arguing it then?
>>
>>41624545
this dumbass back is not perpendicular. He lifting way too heavy weight where his form completely breaks down.
>>
>>41626230
loaded the knee with too much weight in a wrong way. can't do that with deadlifts because your muscles can't lift enough weight to break your spine

>>41626263
can't see an injury

>>41626263
that's a muscle injury
>>
>>41625488
>>41625549
>>41625597

Yes, notice how OP ignored all of these posts.

He's here to troll. Nothing to see here, move along you cunts.
>>
>>41626423
>can't do that with deadlifts because your muscles can't lift enough weight to break your spine

Oh good, then you agree with the original point of the thread.
>>
>>41626424

OP here, I deadlift 6plate beltless.
I'm not trolling.

I genuinely will accept that deadlifts are directly dangerous to the spine if anyone can prove it and all I ask for is ONE (1) video showing this happening.
>>
>>41626410
if you strained your back by doing deadlifts, then it is a direct deadlift injury
>>
>>41626452

SPINE.
I'm talking about the spine. I never claimed deadlifts can't result in muscular injury.
>>
These goofy kids straight out of high school have the brain of a potatoe. They willingly break their spine to show their equally stupid friends how strong they are. You don't deadlift 500 pounds when you haven't OP and Squated close to that. Barbell movements outside the bench engage a lot of muscles. Deadlift, OPand squat need to be worked all together because they all use the same muscles that rely on each other.
>>
File: good deadlift form.webm (736KB, 202x360px) Image search: [Google]
good deadlift form.webm
736KB, 202x360px
Here is the video from the OP picture.
>>
>>41626450
see>>41625475

/thread
>>
>>41626550

the question may be answered. But the larger issue is changing attitudes towards deadlifting in the wider fitness community.

People might be missing out on precious gains because they wrongly believe deadlifting is too dangerous.
>>
>>41626596
see>>41625475
again.

The fact there no one in this thread has MUH VIDEO EVIDENCE has literally no bearing on the deadlift as a movement that may or may not cause spinal injury
>>
>>41626656

As George Bush Snr said:
"That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence."
>>
>>41626678
you haven't addressed the fact that your reasoning is entirely inductive:

"there is no video evidence of deadlifts causing spinal injuries, therefore it is wrong to declare that the deadlift can cause spinal injuries"

recall: "no evidence of" is leagues away from "evidence of no"
>>
hey you're right, you should totally deadlift 2X your max with a ? shaped spine
I'm sure it'll go great
>>
>>41626713

I did never state its wrong to declare the deadlift can cause spinal injuries.

I just want to see evidence of it. I'm not saying whether its true or not.

Stop moving the goalposts please.
>>
>>41624545

>deadlifting causing back injuries is a fucking myth

Yeah, so is the myth of eating rocks and granite off the street causing tooth damage.
>>
>>41626727

You can't deadlift 2x your max that makes no sense. you wouldn't get it off the ground.
>>
>>41626758

Good misquote.
SPINAL injuries. Not back injuries.

Please put my goalposts back where you found them.
>>
Another thread created by that dumb swedish skinnyfat DYEL that gulps on alphadestinys cock, he posted this in the thread yesterday:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYIB14cesJ4
>>
>>41626769
Did you just learn about the term shifting goalposts or something because nobody in this thread is doing any such thing but you.

You asked for evidence then when given evidence you asked for proof then when given proof you asked for video evidence only then when given video evidence you shoved your fingers in your ears.

Will you just kys already?
>>
File: oh yeah.gif (562KB, 240x200px) Image search: [Google]
oh yeah.gif
562KB, 240x200px
We made it to 100 replies!
Still not a single SHRED of evidence of a deadlift directly causing a SPINAL injury.

Cmon guys surely being that EVERYONE knows how dangerous deadlifts are to the spine there must be SOME KIND OF evidence to show it happening, right?
>>
>>41626713
>I did never state its wrong to declare the deadlift can cause spinal injuries

holy shit bro you are the one who is moving the goalposts: I have said to you that we don't have a video, so that's that, to which you said:

>But the larger issue is changing attitudes towards deadlifting in the wider fitness community.

>People might be missing out on precious gains because they wrongly believe deadlifting is too dangerous.

to which I've argued that your reasoning is inductive and fallacious. Not having any response you just resort back to I JUST WANT VIDEO EVIDENCE STOP MOVING GOALPOSTS
>>
>>41626809

No mate.
People absolutely are constantly shifting the goalposts.

The point of the thread was to find evidence of a deadlift causing direct spinal injury and about 10 times or more have people tried to drag it towards general back injury which is 99% of the time muscular, which is in no way relevant to this thread.

>when given proof
Please show me of what you speak.

There is literally zero video evidence been given in this thread to support the claim I am querying.
>>
>>41626732
fs done it again, I meant see>>41626732
>>
File: 1496103216336.jpg (61KB, 1000x800px) Image search: [Google]
1496103216336.jpg
61KB, 1000x800px
>le rounded spin is gud 4 health man
>>
>>41626831
>you are the one who is moving the goalposts

no mate. I just want evidence to back up the claims people constantly make. Why is that so hard to understand? I'm not making a counterclaim.

Ok I agree its too early for me to assume we need to change attitudes to deadlifting, I take that back. Lets just focus on the original point.
>>
>>41626857

Wow thats a really cool strawman.
>>
My tailbone aches from lifting, why is this? Doing DLs and Squats.
>>
>>41626875
Ok mate, we don't have videos to back up the idea that lifting a heavy weight off the floor can cause an injury to the spine, while keeping in mind this has absolutely no bearing on the possibilities that deadlifts can cause spinal injuries.

Anything else I can do for you?
>>
>>41626840
You realize there are 24 people in this thread calling you a retard?

Of course not because you have the reading comprehension and mental capacity of a chimp. We can't give you proof because your brain is to feeble to understand even the most basic forms of it.

Good bye, retard.
>>
>>41626971

Yeah and flat earthers called people who thought the earth to be a sphere retards too.
You're ignoring the fact that there is literally zero evidence been posted to counter the question I ask.

>>41626962
No that's all, thanks for being honest.
>>
>>41626995
Have fun fooling yourself retard
>>
>>41627274

not an argument.
>>
>>41627314
can you describe what exactly you're looking for in a video ? spouting proof repeatedly is dodging the question. saying "an injury" is dodging the question. precisely which tell indicates an injury from deadlifting? it seems you're just going to deny whatever is posted in spite of everyone telling you you're wrong.
>>
File: crusader pepe.png (157KB, 316x313px) Image search: [Google]
crusader pepe.png
157KB, 316x313px
My mom has spinal stenosis and had to get surgery, am I going to get that from deadlifting? I'm trying to beat my genetics before they beat me.
>>
>>41624545

Deadlift injuries are a result of bad form, not the lift itself. When performed correctly, it's as safe as any other lift. It's just a more difficult lift to do correctly, is all.
>>
>>41627693
Then how come some people with good form get injured with light weight while others with shit form get no injuries in years of lifting heavy?
>>
>>41627614

just a spinal injury as a result of deadlifting
>>
>>41626349
>they creep up on you over a couple of days after you strained your back.
Then how can you be sure that it really was from deadlifting?
>>
>>41627693
What's so hard about deadlift form? Isn't literally the only thing you have to pay attention to in order to avoid injury not having a rounded lower back?
>>
>>41624545
Well i fucked up my lower back when i just started lifting with 60kg because i didnt know how to brace
>>
>>41627976
Brace?
>>
>>41627614

I'm not denying whats posted.
NOTHING has been posted to deny...
>>
>>41627921
you're dodging the question again. tell us what exactly this looks like to you. otherwise you're just going to deny anything that is posted since you haven't qualified what you mean in any way.
>>
>>41628015

LITERALLY ANY VIDEO OF someone getting hurt while deadlifting, with some kind of proof that the injury is spinal. Because if it was spinal there would likely be a hospital trip involved at some point.
>>
>>41628015

And no I won't deny it. I'm completely open to accepting that deadlifting can cause injury to the spine if evidence shows it to be the case.
>>
>>41624883
This. Only the waterfast guy surpasses this memery.
>>
>>41628071
>>41628071
>>41628071

>cant find evidence of deadlift causing spinal injury
>cant give a legitimate input or argument
>cant accept your preconceived "wisdom" may be incorrect
>hes totally meming guys!

Well done bro you sure got me!
>>
>>41628036
> LITERALLY ANY VIDEO OF someone getting hurt while deadlifting, with some kind of proof that the injury is spinal

word salad. if a person's spine hurts from deadlifting that's sufficient evidence in itself. yoir arbitrary definition of proof isn't recognized by anybody.

here's a random vid, one of hundreds you could easily pull up

https://youtube.com/watch?v=GnqggNm7g0Q

this person spent two months rehabbing, the first week immobilized and hasn't beem the same since.

if you disagree or mean something else you're retarded and literally nobody cares or agrees with you. now kys retard
>>
>>41628097

Thats a muscular injury.

Can you link me to one of the other "hundreds" you can easily pull up please? This same vid was linked in the last thread about this issue and its not definitive proof of a spinal injury.

Not trolling. I appreciate your input.
>>
>>41628097
>if a person's spine hurts from deadlifting that's sufficient evidence in itself.

Yeah and if someone believes in god thats sufficient evidence to prove he exists right?
I'm not asking for anecdote.
>>
i'm no scientist but yeah my back hurts all the time and my life has changed dramatically thanks mark rippetoe
>>
>>41628137
A muscular injury, unless it were a tear, would not cause future performance degradation once recovered. Try again.
>>
gee whats all this clicking and grinding in my lower back as i perform simple daily activities

well at least i know it isn't scientific evidence
>>
>>41628187

Maybe it was a tear?
There's insufficient evidence either way.

Wheres one of the "hundreds" of other videos please. That one is not good enough to draw any real conclusions from.
>>
>>41628212

Not relevant to barbell deadlifting.
>>
>>41628215
You wouldn't be wondering if you tore a spinal erector nor would you recover in 8 weeks from it. Please stop posting you're the most retarded person alive.
>>
>>41628234

But you would recover from a spinal injury in 8 weeks?
lol good one.
>>
man whats this shooting pain in my left nut

it aint science ill tell ya what
>>
what a shit thread
>>
>>41628241
A bulging disc could allow partial recovery within 8 weeks if not sooner absolutely yes. I had sciatica from a bulging disc and recovered from it in one week.
>>
>>41628234
How is challenging a consensus that has no actual proof retarded? Just following and believing everything that you are being told is retarded.
>>
File: deadlift alternative.gif (494KB, 320x270px) Image search: [Google]
deadlift alternative.gif
494KB, 320x270px
>>41628250

I know.
All these replies and not one person manages to actually come up with anything to refute the OP
>>
>>41628259

>HURRRRRRRRRRRR
>>
>>41628265
Damn, is there any more sure way of showing that you have absolutely no argument left?
>>
>>41628259
>atheists in charge of logic
thanks reddit
>>
>>41628258

We are going off topic.
There is no proof that the man in the video had a spinal injury.
apparently theres hundreds of other videos that one can easily pull up though, so I'm waiting on the guy to post one with more information regarding the injury. Most injury videos on youtube tend to have a rough description of what the injury was, so there must be at least one that has proof of spinal injury right?
>>
>>41628282
>>41628265

individual post counter confirmed that this is samefag, well done, you clearly have no argument left.
>>
File: 20170530_223445.jpg (2MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
20170530_223445.jpg
2MB, 2592x1944px
>>41628278

could take a selfie of my ballsack

i lit her up for you
>>
File: Screenshot_20170530-223633.png (369KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170530-223633.png
369KB, 1440x2560px
>>41628296

nope
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (328KB, 1600x2000px) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
328KB, 1600x2000px
>>41628323

Well I'll be damned.
>>
This OP is seriously deranged, seek help m8
>>
>>41628290
no matter which video is posted you're going to claim it's a muscle injury so why bother? disc issues from deadlifting are common. there's no point in even providing whatever arbitrary level of proof you decide is sufficient.
>>
>>41628352

Why, because nobody can actually refute me?
That makes me deranged? Why?

There is literally nothing but bad circular logic followed by insults being thrown at me.
>>
>>41628362

No I'm not. You're making things up. If the video poster confirms its a spinal injury then I will absolutely accept it.

You're making things up to suit your failing argument and to act like I'm being unreasonable. But if you check the thread you will see there hasn't actually been anything concrete posted to prove that deadlifting can cause a spinal injury.

I guarantee 100% if you post a video showing a back injury through deadlifting that the video poster confirms is a spinal injury, I will accept it. There are shitloads of injury videos where the poster details exactly what the injury is. So why is there not one in which he confirms it to be a spinal injury caused by deadlifting?

why is this so hard for you to understand?
>>
What are you trying to prove op? You think your spine is invulnerable?

Just google bulging disc deadlift and you'll find enough information.
>>
>>41628387

>>41628387
>What are you trying to prove op? You think your spine is invulnerable?

No. I'm contesting the conventional wisdom that deadlifting is a cause for direct spinal injury.

>>41628387
>Just google bulging disc deadlift and you'll find enough information.

Ah That old tired, incorrect argument.. Have YOU even googled it? Literally all it comes up with is ways to work deadlifting into rehab for their injury.
>>
>>41628405
https://forums.t-nation.com/t/deadlifting-injury-bulged-disc/75436

http://startingstrength.com/resources/forum/mark-rippetoe-q-and-a/61723-herniated-disc-neurosurgeon-squat-deadlift.html

litteraly the 1st and 5th link
>>
>>41624626
There's no such thing as bad form. Arnie is living proof of that. People that get injured for "bad form" are lying to cover up the fact that they're too weak to handle the weight no matter what "form" they use. Form is broscience.
>>
>>41628382
just go to any lifting forum and type in "deadlift disc" site:insertforumhere.com

you'll find countless posts from real people who went to a doctor who diagnosed them with a disc injury from deadlifting

are they all lying and wrong? why would they bother?

most deadlift injuries won't happen on video, especially spinal ones. the pain comes later. hence all the forum posts about it. most of the deadlift injury vids won't confirm or deny the specific injury either way. the fact is there's overwhelming evidence that deadlifts cause spine injuries and it'a illogical to conclude otherwise from videos that fail to state either way.
>>
>>41628437

Oh finally some evidence.
Not a video like I would have hoped but it'll do.
I guess deadlifting can be dangerous to the spine.
I'm going to bed now. Thanks for the laugh guys.
>>
>>41628447
this is just not true, bad form is a very real thing
>>
https://www.google.com/search?q=deadlift+disc+site:forum.bodybuilding.com

https://www.google.com/search?q=deadlift+disc+site:forums.tnation.com
http://startingstrength.com/resources/forum/mark-rippetoe-q-and-a/34949-herniated-disc-deadlift-form.html

in short, you're retarded.
https://www.google.com/search?q=deadlift+disc+site:www.spine-health.com
>>
>>41625038
So if something's not on video it means it hasn't ever happened? And by "on video" you mean you need to see someone's spine literally snap in half instead of the usual twinge people feel where they then wake up the next day in excruciating pain?
>>
>>41628535
* https://www.google.com/search?q=deadlift+disc+site:forums.t-nation.com
>>
>>41628447
"Form is broscience."
This is singlehandely the best bait I've ever encountered or you were gifted with an extra chromosome. Please KYS.
>>
I have no idea if deadlifting causes actual spinal injuries but I don't care regardless since every time I cheat a rep out and round at all I get the worst DOMs of my life for 3 days in my lower back.

Even if it was impossible to cause a spinal injury with a deadlift I still wouldn't want to round out due to how fucking bad it wrecks my training for the next few days having a weakened lower back.
>>
Y'all got trolled.
>>
>>41629395
Words of wisdom.
>>
>>41628447
I agree anon, I usually twist my spine like a pretzel when lifting. People stare but they're just jealous they can't lift as much as me.
>>
brace your core really hard even rounded back pullers somehow avoid injury like this. although its puts the spine at risk to round. especially the lower back
>>
>>41624888
Lmao, PUSSY detected
>>
If you throw out evidence for belief X until nothing is left, you don't believe the opposite of X as a result. You fall back to the default state which is "I don't know". OP is a good example of drawing your bottom line before looking at the arguments. You're supposed to start from "I don't know" and then see where the arguments take you.
And the answer to most questions is still "I don't really know" despite mountains of data existing. It just goes to show that good data is hard to get. There's no reason to have to definitively choose one side or the other in any question. You assign probability in accordance with the strength of the evidence.

The evidence for spinal injury is far from conclusive but, at least for me, it's enough to tip the scales in favor of there being risk. I'd assign 70/30 probability in favor of bad-form deadlifts being dangerous to the spine and 40/60 probabiilty in favor of good-form deadlifts not posing any exceptional risk. I've gotten the picture that spinal degradation is really common and pretty much everything causes it to some degree. Like everything else in the body, the spine breaks down gradually. Some things make it happen faster. So from a prior belief standpoint, deadlifts of any kind degrading the spine wouldn't be a surprise.
>>
Proper weights with proper form
>>
>>41624545
I badly injured my spine front squatting.

I had finally hit a 3 plate front squat going barefoot, decided I was losing leverage. Got myself a pair of adipowers and tried to narrow my stance too much. Couldn't straighten my spine on the way back up and cracked a disc and gave myself arthritis in my spinal joints, as my MRI would later confirm.

It's been almost a year, and I'm able to deadlift and front squat again, but my back is still kinda achy. It's probably the arthritis.
>>
you can snap your shit with doing deads because the lateral load exceeds the vertical load. In common tongue; your spine is being pulled like a bow string when you deadlift without proper form.
Thread posts: 178
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.