[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

anon becoming a fireman

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3

File: FT-_z-0-_400x400.jpg (14KB, 240x240px) Image search: [Google]
FT-_z-0-_400x400.jpg
14KB, 240x240px
I'm thinking of becoming a fireman, /fit/. I hear fireman get top pussy, like 9/10 and 10/10 as well as getting rich

>two 24 hour shifts, rest of the week off
>most of the time is sitting around at the station watching anime

unfortunately, I'm dyel. I used to lift, but had poor form and did mostly pullups. Will I make it ? Will I get the 9/10 and 10/10s? Yes, I know I will have to run into fires 2x a week.
>>
Where you at, anon?
>>
>>41615798
what the fuck are you talking about faggot

firefighters work hard as fuck. also they make shit pay for the work they have to do
>>
>>41615855
MA
>>
I was a retained firefighter for a while.
(that is basically part time, only go out when called for while working a seperate full time job)
But the training was exactly the same as for a wholetime firefighter.

Cardio is 100x more important for the training and tests. The strength tests were a fucking joke. They dropped the standards so more women could pass (which is fucked up but whatever)

Also its not so easy to become a firefighter. They get 1000s of applicants for each single vacancy.
>>
>>41615798

we really dont need more lazy faggots on the gubmint teet
>>
>>41615877
>Cardio is 100x more important for the training and tests. The strength tests were a fucking joke. They dropped the standards so more women could pass (which is fucked up but whatever)
I know a roastie firefighter who's fat as fuck and short as fuck. She's also a hardcore lesbian. Do you think they have quotas?
>>
>>41615798
The only part that's true about what you said is pussy. Firefighters have pretty much the highest divorce rate of any job because they can't stop cheating on their wives and gettin pussy
>>
>>41615866
Fire medic here.

I don't know how it is on the east coast because of the differences with EMS, but here in AZ it's probably the best fitness related profession. Very hard to get into.

Usually around 1.5-3k people fighting for 20 spots.

Depending on your municipality pay ranges from 33-48k as a fire E with increases based on cert, seniority, languages, promotion.

The shirt is magic and makes it very easy to get laid, especially on dating apps where you can casually just have a uniformed picture on your profile. You start to be seen as a fetish and those chicks disgust you after a while.

Here the interview is everything, along with who you know.
>>
>>41615946

Probably.
Its fucking bullshit.

I wouldn't want a 5'1 woman coming to my rescue if I was unconscious in a burning building.
>>
>>41615946

Your tests are mostly running, stairs, and calisthenics.

Affirmative action is very real, good luck as a white guy.

>>41615864
Really depends on where.
Some crews earn their shit pay and then some. Retirement crews do not
>>
>>41615969
>Here the interview is everything,
time for phenibut heh heh heh
>>
>>41615969
>>41615798

If you have questions ask them op otherwise I'm closing this tab
>>
>>41616093
not op but i'm looking into firefighting in canada and it seems impossible. fucking 5000 people applying for like 15 spots

any tips on how to actually get in?
>>
>>41616115

A lot of cities have cadet programs. I did ours for six years as tested for five before I got in.
I self payed through paramedic school at 23(now 27) and was an ambo medic for 1.5 years.
I really think that's what did it for me. Young people never come off as responsible, but with that you're now the to provider, and may outrank one of your interviewers.

Volunteer experience.
Medical experience. (At least here we're 85% ems.)

I don't know how it is in Canada, but get your emt equivalent and a tech job in hospitals, or suck it up and work private ems.

Most people have pretty much the same qualifications. Emt, fire 1+2, normal job. No medical or fire experience.

Practice your interviews.
Map out your life. Have answers assigned to the common questions and have stories assigned to positive traits that way you can plug and play responses.
I bought two books, one was called smoke your firefighter interview. It was good.

Captain Bob's book guide to your badge was not.

Ffmedic on YouTube had some good basic stuff
>>
I want to become a EMS but getting into the school is literally harder than top universities in my country. Fuck my life, going to try anyway.
>>
>>41616115
>be a nigger
>only know how to put out fire by beating it with sticks
>???
>profit

"South Africa sent 301 firefighters at the request of the Canadian Interagency Forest Fire Centre at the end of May. The firefighters were trained during the month of April at a boot camp, in order how to learn to use special hoses instead of the leather padded wooden sticks known as "firebeaters" they typically use in their home country due to a lack of water.
Less than a week after being deployed the South Africans went on strike over a wage dispute and were demobilized."
>>
>>41615946
I'm not a FF, but I know in Houston there's a huge push to get more women... because they're women
>>
>>41616248
Wait to get into EMT school?

It's not too hard to get accepted here
>>
Do you dyel faggots even know how to nyc base pay 75k easily make over 100k with ot
>>
>>41616515
Good luck getting in without being family with someone in the Union

You know that old episode of the SImpsons where to get into the stonecutters you had to be related to one, or save the life of a member? Well it's like that in unionized departments as well
>>
>>41615946
here

this lesbo roastie was never an EMT, doesnt have medical experience, never volunteered, and is for a fact clinically obese. I worked with her at the "before" job, and now she has so much free time she came back and works both. She said otherwise she was just drinking tons of booze and doing nothing
>>
>>41616538
No thats why they give tests, they have to run down the list they cant hire family
>>
>>41616573
They can. You're silly if you think that strings can't be pulled for the right people.

>>41616566
Thank marxism and affirmative action. I hate working with women. But male patients sometimes go full beta for them
>>
NY volley here. First thing you need to do is volunteer. You'll get 90% of the training you'll need there and be sure to cross train across companies . FF covers engine, truck, rescue and ladder ops but getting live time behind a smooth bore and a Halligan in an official capacity are going to help you alot. Be sure to buddy up to ever single fucking officer in your department. I don't care if you're an engine man, you fucking have breakfast with the second LT of your ambulance company and you laugh at her shitty jokes. Your chief is your main nigga, don't ride his dick but be there when he needs something and when he is looking for people to fill available classes.

Be ready to deal with politics and be ready to stay neutral in every issue without looking like a push over.

These are the people who will be your references. The fire service is massive but extremely close knit, assholes don't last long and nice guys last just as short. Find the right mix of submissive to learn and assertive to move up.

You will be pissed on. You will be beat. You will be tested physically and mentally but it's worth it. I'm just a volley but I've seen shit I've only ever seen on TV. Be ready to help a paramedic administer Narcan while there's a 15 year old girl ODing and coughing up blood because she bit the tip of her tongue off while she was seizing. Be ready to pull a charged 2.5" line up 3 flights of stairs while the probie at the door struggles to feed more in and the temp 3 feet off the floor is 1200°F.

Work Your legs, shoulders and heart. You'll be pulling hose (on and off the job) with a pack on and that shit hurts your shoulders if you don't have enough muscle mass to cushion it. If you can feel your pulse against your mask, you're out of shape and need to work on your cardio.

Have fun, be safe and keep in mind that heart attacks and strokes take more brothers and sisters than fire or smoke.

LI Firefag out.
>>
>>41616771
Sorry for the shit grammar. I'm on mobile but remember that you need to keep in shape for yourself, the guy behind you and the kid hiding under his bed because fire is scary as shit. Keep at it and enjoy that pension in 20 years and the legal immunity now.
>>
>>41616771
so I just apply to stations near me and say I want to volunteer on the weekends? For how long shifts? I already work 5 days a week M-F 50 hrs
>>
>>41615798
If you aren't a non retarded black man or a unicorn, good luck getting a job.
>>
>>41616864
Tell them that you want to volunteer and let them know what your availability is. My department doesn't do shifts, everything is on an "on call" basis where you respond if you are able to but you do have to meet annual requirements. If your local department has a dedicated ambulance company that you want to participate in, you may have to do shift work though. Note, some departments may make you do shift work in an ambulance co and as well as work as a dispatcher depending on local SOP and policies. Just stop in and see what their requirements are and be willing to work with them and they'll return the favor most likely.

What department would you be applying to if you don't mind me asking?
>>
Anyone here trying for the FDNY

Thoughts on the NYC system?
>>
>>41618632
You will have to go through EMS before applying for their firematic program. The good news is that it's a linear transfer so work your way up as far as possible in EMS then go over to fire before the age cut off. Pay isn't the best but pension and benefits are pretty good. Work there then apply for a private department at some point. Local research facility here has their own department and they start at 6 figures walking in and it does not effect your pension from FDNY. Same for most airports too but that requires NFPA 403 certification which may be difficult to get certified in through most departments unless you are located near one.
>>
File: 20170530_000010.jpg (625KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20170530_000010.jpg
625KB, 2048x1152px
You'll also have to read this 1500 page piece of shit to get your FF1 and FF2 certificates. Read it before you start your IFSTA course to save yourself the stress
>>
File: 20170530_000552.jpg (696KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20170530_000552.jpg
696KB, 2048x1152px
>>41618923
And you'll have to learn how to read this thing and how to tie about a dozen or so knots blindfolded while wearing structural fire fighting gloves
>>
Midwest Firefighter.

Very similar to other anons inputs, getting on an actual career department is quite the challenge. It seems like candidates usually have some type of "in" that gets them the job. Being a female/minority, having a bacherlor's degree, being a grant writer, etc. I got hired by my department because I was an intern with them.
I also had a lot of education and awards, and even then I was at the bottom of my hiring class.
Requirements for career jobs in all but the largest cities also usually require EMT/Paramedic certification. This will also be roughly 85%+ of your calls in your career as well. I haven't been in a fire in months.

If you work in a shit city like I do, you will have to put up with a lot of bullshit. Not sleeping, bullshit calls, Medicare/Medicaid/911 abusers, drunks, and crazy people are all daily occurrences. I very rarely sleep for more than 6 hours a shift. Safety naps are common, but most times you sleep after getting off shift. Realize that this can eat into your off days too, with a gf, wife, kids, lifting days, etc.

All departments are different. Some prohibit you from working out during the "work day" (like 8-4 or whatever) and some places require you to workout for at least one hour, while logging your workouts. I usually workout in the morning before I start work, because getting a call in the middle of your workout really sucks.

The CPAT is the most widely used fitness test for applicants in the US (or at least Midwest). My department is a testing site for it, and most people fail on the stairs (very first event). Advice: do stairs, but slowly like in the test. Work your way up, then add a weight vest. For most people I see, if you get off the stairs you'll be fine.

I work in a shit city with no women so I can't offer input on the women factor, but talking to the ER nurses is nice. They're usually jaded from all the bullshit people they deal with so most usually have a dark/dirty sense of humor.
>>
>>41618967
Reading the ERG is so fucking easy. I've known truck drivers that failed high school who could figure it out in 15 minutes
>>
>>41619175
True, the issue seems to be finding the fucking thing if you don't have a major thoroughfare running through your district. My department is 90% residential so we don't have to worry about too many unknown placards. It's mostly fuel oil and propane trucks that we get passing through so there isn't too much of a hazmat danger on a day to day basis but we do have clandestine drug labs in the abandoned houses that we have to worry about.
>>41619001

All true.
How have you not had a fire in that long? We've had 7 working structure fires, 3 car fires and 2 brush fires since January and the summer hasn't even begun. We've also had about 6 dozen overdoses as well. Fucking heroin and pills are killing everyone from 15-35 here. Sad to see.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.