[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you become an insane athlete? Senior year football in

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_1057.jpg (2MB, 3831x2554px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1057.jpg
2MB, 3831x2554px
How do you become an insane athlete?

Senior year football in the fall (I'm 18 mods) and I want to be the best possible. I have a good strength base already (250ish bench, 140 OHP, 200 lbs clean, front squat 190).

How do I lift to optimize performance? What running should I do? How to get fast? Any gear I should take? Any supplements (aside from the obvious ones)? What should a running routine look like? Diet?
>>
>>41605782
>bench more than you squat

It's not going to happen my 17 year old friend
>>
My advice as someone who was in a similar position?

Don't put so much emphasis on the physical thing. Lift 4 times a week, work your whole body hard, and do sprints, but it's more important to excel at individual drills that are actually pertinent to your position. A peak physique is merely icing on the cake but is nothing without good skills.

I wasted a lot of time my senior year trying to max my strength and speed and missed the critical part of working on my football ability first, some of the best players of all time were hardly peak athletes at their position.
>>
Performance enhancing drugs
>>
>250kg bench

Nice
>>
>>41605782
http://biggerfasterstronger.com/home/Download-pdfs-2014/2014-Speed-Program.pdf
http://biggerfasterstronger.com/home/Download-pdfs-2014/2014-plyometric-program.pdf
http://biggerfasterstronger.com/home/Download-pdfs-2014/BFS-25-Agility-Drills.pdf
http://biggerfasterstronger.com/home/Download-pdfs-2014/2014-Conditioning-Program.pdf
>>
>>41605782

Unironically some SS, with proper low bar squat, followed by Texas Method. Your goal in the majority of the offseason is to get strong as fuck, no matter what position you play. Maybe don't gain 100 lbs if you intend on playing WR, but maybe do if you intend on playing some lineman position. A few weeks before training camp starts up, start running sprints to get back in playing shape, and lower the volume (mostly number of sets) on your weightlifting workouts, but keep the intensity fairly high.

Certain athletic characteristics highly desired in football, like speed and vertical leap, can't be greatly improved in someone who is already at least decently trained. You aren't going to increase your proportion of fast twitch muscle fiber by working out. If you have a 20'' vertical leap, you are not making the NFL as anything other than an EXTREMELY lucky QB.

>>41606037

Don't listen to this jabroni. Troy Polamalu was arguably the best safety of all time, was so primarily because of tremendous athletic ability. Joe Greene and Warren Sapp are Hall of Fame DTs because of overwhelming physical ability.

Also, it's the OFFSEASON. You can't do a hell of a lot to practice skills now anyway, so focus on raw strength. You'll be able to practice when the season starts up, and college coaches would generally rather have a good athlete they can teach a position than a good football player they have to teach how to be an athlete.
>>
Concusions
>>
>>41606234

>Troy Polamalu was arguably the best safety of all time, was so primarily because of tremendous athletic ability

And I'll counter you by pointing out that you're an enormous moron. He was neither the most lithe or quick strong safety nor big enough to be a linebacker, but had incredible instinct and ability that put him in a position to make plays.

This kid is a teenager, he is only going to get so far in the weight room and on the track and in the end he will be wasting precious time by overdoing it. He needs to spend more time practicing position specific drills, your "combine measurables" are shit scouts use to distinguish between TOP D1 PLAYERS who have all already made it to a very high level statistically.
>>
>>41605782
I'm confused as to how/why you seemingly successful people end up on 4chan.
>>
>>41606263

>He was neither the most lithe or quick strong safety

Are you high? At his best, he was the fastest guy on the field, every week. He could barely tackle (diving head-first at the other guys legs is not great tackling.

>This kid is a teenager, he is only going to get so far in the weight room

At "18," he is in prime position to make some of the greatest gains in his life. Between 18 and 30 getting stronger is as easy as DOING SS AND TM and eating food.

I don't recommend a lot of track or running until it's time to build back some stamina right before his training camp starts.

>He needs to spend more time practicing position specific drills,

How is he going to do that in the middle of the offseason? Instead of trying to find some teammate or coach to practice with (which is probably an exercise in futility), he can focus wholly on lifting and recovering, coming back staggeringly stronger than anyone else at his position, and learn the dogshit level of "football skill" he'll need in high school football in the first week of organized team practices.
>>
>>41605782
depends. what position do you play?

if you're a lineman, then you need to get more stronk.

if you're a receiver/rb/corner/safety, you need to get more fast.

TE/linebacker, a bit of both.

for ALL of these positions, though, you need to get more *smart*. at your level, 99% of what is going to set you apart from your peers on the field is knowing the game better than them. learn to read the field and take advantage of positional opportunities. learn what mistakes people make most often, and learn to take advantage of them. get better at your position (faster cuts, better angles, better hands, whatever). watch tapes.

seriously. you're focusing *way* too much on physical ability and at this point that's not what you need to be concerned with. that'll come when you (hopefully) get yourself into a good university program, where you'll have coaches/trainers to help you finesse your physical capabilities. but to get into those programs, you need to put up good numbers and stand out. to do that, you're gonna have to be smart.
>>
>>41606349

>Instead of trying to find some teammate or coach to practice with (which is probably an exercise in futility)

This is exactly what he should be doing. Coming from someone who was quite literally in his shoes, spent way too much time obsessing over my lifting and sprinting, neglecting my rapport with coaches and teammates (which gets you huge bonuses in playing time, exposure, reps, connections to scouts, and chemistry on the field and in practice).

You are being an idealistic moron while I was quite literally in this kid's shoes and failed on that account 5 years ago. Give him your stupid /fit/ wiki core advice all you want, it doesn't bear on reality.
>>
>>41606021
>front squat atg
>same as conventional squat
>>
>>41606344
For the memes and laffs my friend

I ask myself how I ended up here everyday
>>
>>41605782
look up joe defranco. says unilaterals are important and posterior chain, train the agility drills get vitamins a(get fat soluble ),d3, k2(mk7), do sprints, do jumps.
>>
>>41605782
focus on your skill more
Your strength is your contingency plan but your technique is your main plan

With that being said
pls improve your squat
what kind of human has stronger arms than their legs. Were not chimps
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.