[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Lifting with a bad back

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

File: back problems.jpg (175KB, 1502x1600px) Image search: [Google]
back problems.jpg
175KB, 1502x1600px
I met this really skinny guy at the gym who wants to get stronger but has no idea what he's doing, and I'd like to be able to help him out. Unfortunately all I know is based on barbell routines, but he has a bad back (compressed disc from playing basketball when he was younger apparently).

You guys know any good beginner routines for someone with a shitty back?
>>
Just deadlift
>>
>>41584988
Just do machine isolation if he has access to a gym.
Leg press,machine flies, lying leg curl,.... any exercises that lets the back fixed
>>
>>41584988

I have degenerative disc disease and bertolotti's syndrome and I still do all the main lifts. The only time I hurt my self I was squatting with shit form. Bending over to pick up plates hurts more than any of the lifts. Overall my back feels better now because its stronger. He should at least try a regular routine first before it gets ruled out.
>>
>>41585153
His back is already fucked, building muscle there won't solve the problem but activate it dipshit.
>>
>>41584988
Squats and deadlift, srs. He as a weak back, and making it strong will help.
>>
Squats don't help my back much, but deadlifts sure do. To echo what has been said though, FORM IS KEY.
>>
Don't listen to the retards suggesting deadlifts and squats, he's gonna fuck it up even more.
>>
File: 1539871-980x.jpg (156KB, 970x627px) Image search: [Google]
1539871-980x.jpg
156KB, 970x627px
>Asking a medical issue here

It really will depend on the state of his disc currently. Just saying he has a compressed disc from a long time ago is not enough. He needs to work with a sport physician.

But regardless the first thing the guy needs to do is fix his posture. A compressed disc from someone so young who only plays basketball is 99% going to be because of bad posture forcing excess pressure on a select few disc which forces more nutrients, water and proteoglycan out causing a week disc.

Watch this for more information I've double checked the studies on the issue and have written on a paper on the subject
>https://www.medicalvideos.com/video/8398/disc-herniation

He should focus on that and after a few weeks of it being a habit you can start him on a light barbell routine which also focuses on core exercises like planks. Just don't do anything that hurts him and make his back feel uncomfortable. He may not be able to do deadlifts at the beginning but he could after a little bit.
>>
>>41588487
It's his spine that's fucked, not his back muscles.
>>
>>41589615
Not OP but sick post m8, the video in the link is gold.
>>
File: 1493576255934.jpg (46KB, 549x604px) Image search: [Google]
1493576255934.jpg
46KB, 549x604px
>>41589950
Guess what does or does not hold the fucked up spine in a semblance of normal configuration, faggot. What do you fathom happens to fucked up structures if you also remove the muscles holding them in place, eg. by aging while working a desk job??
>>
>>41589615
good post
>>
>>41589982
>>41590799
Thanks lads
>>
File: image.jpg (105KB, 1062x818px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
105KB, 1062x818px
>>41584988
If he's serious, he needs-

A coach
A chiro/massage therapist
At home pt equipment (inversion table, foam roll, electro stim unit)
Steroids
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.