[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pendlay rows, Y/N?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: arnold-pendlay-rows.jpg (14KB, 600x330px) Image search: [Google]
arnold-pendlay-rows.jpg
14KB, 600x330px
Sup brahs?
I've got a new program I'm working on. Basically a PHUL split. On the upper days it calls for 2 back exercises, one vertical, one horizontal. I chose Pendlay Rows and Lat Pulldowns.

Are Pendlay Rows good for size though? Is there anything better I could be doing? Maybe T-bar or Kroc rows?
>>
Literally doesn't matter
>>
>>41539411
Pendlay rows are phenomenal for back strength
>>
>>41539456
Oh cool. Sweet.
Thanks anon.
>>
>>41539411

They're fine, but I'd advise greater variety than just those two. For your horizontal I'd add dumbbell rows with an underhand grip for greater range of motion and lower lat development. That or one arm db rows to keep the strain off your back after the Pendlay rows. In addition to the range of motion, I like using dumbbell or one-arm variations (in addition to higher weight barbell exercises) to avoid imbalances in physique. If your form/recruitment is goofy you can wind up with some wack imbalance in your lats. For vertical you could add chin ups. I'd switch the pulldowns for pull ups, depending on if you have the strength to do them in a hypertrophy range. If not, use the pull ups to help work your way up to it. I do all three.

But that's just like my opinion man.
>>
Pendlay Rows are great for hitting the whole back, but they're mainly there as a deadlift accessory
>>
Is it OK to do pendlays on deadlift day?
Or should they be done away from deadlifts?
>>
>>41539614
I might include some DB rows then, cheers!
Unfortunately I'm too weak to do pullups so, will stick to lat pulldowns in the mean time.
>>
>>41539761

I'd advise you to do the deadlifts first if you do them on the same day. I always do deadlifts first because it's the mad mother of all compound lifts and I like to hit them fresh without anything being prefatigued. No reason to avoid doing them on the same day altogether. Just be sure to mind your form and don't be a hero. DLs can wreck your shit if you aren't careful. Additionally, bent over rows of any variety will recruit the lower back to some extent so don't bite off more than you can chew after the DLs when you go for the rows. In the end that will be your judgement call. If you're the OP who I presume is beginner-tier due to lack of pullup capacity, you may want to keep them separate at first.
>>
>>41539411
One armed DB rows with some cheating are awesome. Lift it explosively up and lower it slowly. And since your using the legs to cheat a bit you get more overloading of the muscles. Its great for upper back and grip. ALso helps with obliques.
>>
>>41539778
Does your gym have an assisted pull-up machine? If so use that to work in the hypertrophy range of pull-ups. I love lat pull downs but they take away a lot of core work and stabilizers that are included in pull-ups. Gl mate
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.