[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pull up/chin up thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: 1495426167529[1].jpg (10KB, 203x213px) Image search: [Google]
1495426167529[1].jpg
10KB, 203x213px
How many can you do? How does one get better?

I can't do chins for shit. Can barely do 3. I'd like to get to a place where I can do 3-5 good sets so I can start adding weight for LP, but I feel like I'm not making progress because I can't get in enough volume (i.e., it's hard to progress when you crap out after 9 total reps). It's taken months to get from 3x1 to here.

What can I do to get to a point where I can do a few good sets? Some people have told me to do tons of singles and doubles throughout the day. Is that solid? Or should I use negatives and go to failure a lot?

Would really appreciate any advice. Thanks, anons!
>>
>>41533637

I do 4x9, but my strength massively declines after each set

The first one is easy af, then it gets harder and harder, and the last one my form is atrocious and my forearms are fucking sore.

Also can't seem to get my arms and back to coordinate the pullup movement.

Can't help you OP, I'm struggling as well.
>>
>>41533637
do weighted negatives
>>
>>41533637
>What can I do to get to a point where I can do a few good sets?
Greasing the groove. Take the half of your max reps and do many sets throughout the day everyday. You should be able to do 10 clean reps in less than a month.
>>
>>41533637
Start of this year I could do 2, now I can do 16 chin ups. Feels good man
>>
>>41533720
4x9 is nice. Why not do a linear progression of 5x5 or something?

>>41533729
Interesting suggestion. Is that just to get in volume under heavy weight? What do you think of trying a LP for singles and doubles, which I can do?
>>
>>41533748
Holy shit, nice. Congrats. What was your routine to get there?

>>41533743
I've heard this from others. Can you explain the logic of how that will improve my max? Like you wouldn't expect that a guy who did a bunch of 2pl8 singles on bench throughout the day could then bang it out for reps, right?
>>
>>41533766
I was 220 at the end of Football season (I'm a senior). Didn't need to be fat as fuck anymore so I cut down to 176. I did wendlers 5/3/1 and candito (?). Then I started doing bro split for about 2 months. Starting a PPL routine today. Can still do 1/2/3/4 so I'm happy. Thank you
>>
>>41533753

I'm probably going to do 4x10, 4x11,... though it will take a while

and on second pull day, like 10x5, with perfect motion and pause.

I think in general you have to just get used to the movement. just continually doing it, until the mechanic of pullups exercise is drilled in you.

also maybe lose some weight if possible? And other supporting exercises. like lats pulldown
>>
File: 114316308.jpg (121KB, 634x697px) Image search: [Google]
114316308.jpg
121KB, 634x697px
>>41533637
>>
My personal score is pyramid until 13
(1 break 2 break 3 break 4 etc. The break is as long as much it takes your partner to make the same amount).
>>
>>41533766
>Like you wouldn't expect that a guy who did a bunch of 2pl8 singles on bench throughout the day could then bang it out for reps, right?
In fact, you would. That's the bulgarian method. Many advanced lifters such as Eric Bugenhagen train that way. But except for bodyweight movements, it's very impractical for anyone who is not pro.
>>
>>41533864
Surprising info on Bulgarian method. I wouldn't have thought that since I thought you make gains by pushing limits. Thanks.

>>41533802
I'm still not clear on how this helped your chins though. Obviously losing weight is a big factor, but neither 5/3/1 nor Candito's include chins do they? What did you do that made you stronger on the chins? Did you train them somehow?
>>
4 chinups with 40kg added, 80kg BW
think I could do 15 without weight last time I tried

I started with bodyweight until I could do 8 with good form, just started adding weight and varying volume between weeks
>>
>>41533831

What's better? Negatives or bands?
>>
>>41534130
real chinups and losing weight
>>
>>41534070
Did them like 1-3 times a week, they just improved and I got better and better at them
>>
My grip usually gives out because the pullup/chinup bar is wrapped in this rubber. I can easily do 3x8 but by then my wrist is in an awkward position.
>>
>>41534130
negatives. you dont transfer the movement properly with bands
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.