[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cooking in College

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 7

File: ramsay.jpg (93KB, 625x352px) Image search: [Google]
ramsay.jpg
93KB, 625x352px
I will be staying in college dorm for this Summer. The dining halls wlll be closed. I can't afford to eat out all the time and I want to make sure that I eat healthy and well.

My dorm will have a kitchen on my floor. How do I cook in college?

What are some good recipes and things to know before I get into this? What are some good cookbooks? What should I know about grocery shopping? What should I watch out for with sharing a kitchen on my floor?

I am going through big growth sport and this past semester I was eating 4 meals a day. So, I really want to not fall off in eating. I also would like to know good meals to make for friends.
>>
>>41490563
PAN

NICE AND HOT
>>
>>41490575

wtf you tryna say?

speeek englizz ffs
>>
bumping cause ill be in the same situation
>>
>>41490575
IT'S FUCKING R A W
>>
>>41490563

Buy bulk items. Cheap stores as well (Aldi is my go-to). You'll be wanting potato, pork loin (cheap as fuck, usually around $8 for two pieces), and veg (I buy frozen).

Ultimately, these things, while boring when constantly eaten, are simple to cook, easy to eat, and not terrible for you.

If you have a decent income, you can be more frivolous, but i have no idea about any useful details.
>>
>burns bread
>makes millions for being a "chef"

lmao
>>
>>41490563

Also, when it comes to your food, label it, and monitor in a book what you have. I'm serious. People may steal shit to eat because they're lazy.

You also might want to give everyone a better understanding on what your income is like, and what stores are available to you.
>>
>>41491002
>>41491022
Thanks anon for the advice.

I will be in NYC so there are plenty of good, top-tier supermarkets near me

I would say I have a $200 budget a month for food with my part time jobs that I'll be working
>>
>>41490657
bump for same reason
>>
>>41490563
Buy carbs (rice, pasta, potatoes, oats) in bulk. If you're on a budget, these will act as a base for your dishes. For protein get eggs, chicken (thigh, breast), beans, dairy (milk, greek yogurt, cottage cheese). Fruits, veggies, and spices vary depending on what you feel like cooking.

As for main recipes, start with basic rice/pasta dishes since it's really hard to mess those up.
Don't use cookbooks. They are a meme for the mentally challenged.
>>
>>41491189
>200 dollar for food
>in NYC
Good luck
>>
>>41490563
buy chicken thighs from costco, remove bone, use seasoning method like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42Q3cNKoYxI
then pan fried each side 5 mins, medium heat
>>
File: Gains Pepe.jpg (72KB, 760x752px) Image search: [Google]
Gains Pepe.jpg
72KB, 760x752px
>>41492057
Good post anon :D
>>
>>41492057
how do you buy stuff in bulk?
>>
>>41490575
OLIV OIL

IN
>>
>>41491189
>$200
>NYC
LOL???? maybe if you get the $1 pizza slices that litter manhattan
>>
File: 8_day_prep.jpg (89KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
8_day_prep.jpg
89KB, 600x600px
>>41490563
It's simple really just prepare meals ahead of time.
>>
>>41491189

So you'll be bulking meals. Aim for meals that cook 3-4 servings, for a week. And you'll be freezing and using those meals over time, DO NOT buy for a small one off meal. DO NOT try to go fancy and buy expensive meats like lobster or king salmon (whole fish), you'll burn a hole in your pocket.

Remember that you'll be wanting meals that use bulk ingredients that you can buy (e.g. bag of potatos, bag of onions, bags of anything with a large quantity), the reason is purely because the amount is useful.

For the love of god, don't buy unnecessary things. Sips aren't a necessity, neither is sugar, nor salt (because most things have enough sodium). You will not be buying fresh vegetables with $200, better off buying frozen vegetables in my opinion.

I'll write some simple recipes that me and my dad eat (we're bargain shoppers cause we've lived most of our lives poor).
>>
File: JamieOliveoil.jpg (9KB, 220x229px) Image search: [Google]
JamieOliveoil.jpg
9KB, 220x229px
>>41492417

A little bit of olive oil... about six table spoons.
>>
>>41491189
>>41493613

So: Potato is an essential, got a nice amount of carbs/calories and is pretty tasty. With a bag of brown unbrushed potatos, you can do either:

-Jacket Potatos with mince (250g of mince, split a 500g or 1kg bag for this). The way you do that is to bake the potato with the skin on (wash it first thoroughly) and cut a cross into it, after cooked until soft, remove and put a dollop of margarine in between potato. During the time it takes to cook the potato, cook some mince in a pan; usually we use a packet called "rich beefy mince" which is like a gravy effectively, gives it a lot of flavor. But you could add spices in like dried herbs, some pepper, or whatever packet mix you fancy. This will allow for flavor to be added, but isn't needed.

-Mashed potatos with veg, and slab of meat. Simple, only thing complex is the mash, i use a little bit of skim milk, no butter, and a dollop of crushed garlic.

-Roasted potato and chicken. Cooking chicken breast can be hard if you're new to cooking. You don't want it dry, and you definitely don't want it raw. Two ways to cook it that I do, pan or oven. If you bake the chicken, don't bake it next to the potatoes, bake seperately, and follow http://www.chicken.ie/chicken-facts-tips/chicken-cooking-chart.218.html for basic idea of how long to cook for. If in pan, cook till white, cut small gash in middle, if still pink, keep cooking. Can broil it in lemon juice for extra zing. Cook in oven, 1 big potato or 2 small (one person shouldn't need too much) and a 4-cut carrot. Simple, tasty, easy.
>>
File: 1355937806131.jpg (9KB, 170x229px) Image search: [Google]
1355937806131.jpg
9KB, 170x229px
>>41491189

go to the Dorsia, faggot
>>
>>41493644

Salad ideas that go far. Boil some egg, bit of lettuce, if wanting a bite, add some ranch and bacon. Do one big batch for mileage on it. throw in some grated carrot (not too much). If you want, get some mushrooms and add as well. This if done right, will be a luxury that can last for a two-three day period off of one person who isn't a glutton.

A toss salad is just lettuce, tomato (if you fancy), carrot, onion, selected dressing (if any; i just use pepper and sweet chilli sauce when serving) and a dash of lemon juice.

Ultimately though, you can't go wrong with cheap meat and potatoes, maybe some rice and chicken or if you're really wanting a long drawn meal, some soup. but there's too many to count.
>>
Something I've been doing a lot lately is buying chicken thighs with skin, and baking them in the oven @425 so the skin gets nice and crispy. 30 minutes in I throw in broccoli or misc vegetables with olive oil and garlic so it can cook alongside it. Then let it go another 25 minutes. Its super easy, healthy (I'm on keto, so I mainly do it with broccoli/cauliflower/low carb veggies) and you can cook it in bulk and pair it with rice or whatever tickles your fancy. See if someone has access to sam's club or another bulk store- chicken thighs are like 99 cents a pound. 5 bucks for a week of chicken-y goodness.
>>
File: dc6.jpg (39KB, 460x514px) Image search: [Google]
dc6.jpg
39KB, 460x514px
>>41490563
Make a fucking omlette brah
>>
>>41490563
Make burritos in bulk and fill them with whatever you want. Put some in the fridge, rest in the freezer if you have a lot. Convenient, controlled nutrition for days if not more. Costs me a little over a dollar per burrito and they each have just over 20g of protein per.
>>
File: chicken.jpg (718KB, 1625x1820px) Image search: [Google]
chicken.jpg
718KB, 1625x1820px
CBR is all you need. Get clever with the chicken and you can survive on it for months on end, without getting bored.
>>
>>41493613
>>41493644
>>41493662

Nobody thanked you? What has /fit/ become. Thanks anon for the wonderful advice, it's good to see something better than retarded shitposting.
>>
>>41493662
>>41493644
>>41493613

Since it's NYC as well, a good idea is to make some delicious chicken stew. Nice, hearty and steaming hot to fill up your belly and give you that warm, comfy feeling on a cold day. There's a few recipes around, try and find some that suit you. Great freezing food too, a good casserole is a solid choice too.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.