[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Going to start working out this week. I have zero experience

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: t0F3ZkU.jpg (524KB, 2393x3048px) Image search: [Google]
t0F3ZkU.jpg
524KB, 2393x3048px
Going to start working out this week. I have zero experience lifiting anything. 5'9 140lbs, just trying to look athletic and more aesthetic.

Is there a huge difference between using machines rather than lifiting free weights? I just don't want to start with nothing and look like a moron lifting baby weights.
>>
>>41476058
look like a moron forever by using machines, or look like a moron temporarily by using baby weights. your choice OP

this has got to be b8
>>
>>41476058
machines don't hit as many muscles at once as you can with the free weights
>>
>>41476058
>machines
not even once.
>>
>>41476058
lifting free weights, or doing compound movements, makes you use more muscle groups for the same exercise.
though if you're that skinny it doesnt really matter, just lift shit and eat to get bigger.
>>
>>41476058
Friend, do this.

Approach a person at the reception and ask them if they could recommend you either a gym regular or a personal trainer that will show you - and it is important that you say it verbatim - "a proper form for the compound barbell exercises".

Gyms want you to get hooked on fast progress, which you will have as a total beginner, as well as avoid any lawsuits caused by you being a dumbass who injures himself.

Also, this is your homepage now: https://ss.fitness/
>>
>>41476103
is there sense in starting on the machines for a couple of weeks and transitioning to free weights?
>>
>>41476136
I've been looking up proper form all day on youtube. I think I can manage free weights, I was just wondering if machines are at all useful for my situation.
>>
>>41476140
Sense as in - is it better than sitting on a couch doing nothing? Absolutely yes.

Sense as in - is it the best investment of time with regards to musculature/fitness/well-being in general? Resounding no. It will have effects, but it's far from the best course of action.

I obviously assume you have no birth defects that for example make half your body paralyzed.
>>
>>41476140
Since free weights is what you wanna end up doing its probably better to just start with them anyway.
>>
>>41476163
>I've been looking up proper form all day on youtube. I think I can manage free weights.

It's good that you're showing initiative. However, have someone experienced spotting you for the few first times. There are small cues that you don't get until you get told to apply - for example I didn't know I rounded my back during deadlifting until a guy told me to do it in front of the mirror and look myself in the eye during the whole lift.

>I was just wondering if machines are at all useful for my situation.

Don't reinvent the wheel dude. Compounds >> Machines for a newbie. Maybe do leg press instead of squatting for the few first times if you worry that your legs are weak.

Other than this, do compounds and listen to your body. Low level prolonged pain = fatigue = kinda a good sign. Sharp, high, short pain or blood pressure spikes = potential injury = stop immediately.
>>
>>41476058
try doing 50 pushups and only focus on form. let your body crack and pop. add another bodyweight exercise (pushups etc) do it for a week then look up free weight lift forms. never doing weight training i wouldnt start until i was loose enough. unless i went baby weight studying form. ita basically ss
>>
File: 91Y3gy0askL._SL1500_.jpg (223KB, 1291x1500px) Image search: [Google]
91Y3gy0askL._SL1500_.jpg
223KB, 1291x1500px
>>41476058
>machines are for isolation
>isolation is for intermediate lifters and beyond
>your beginner ass belongs in a cage
>>
Hi OP

Today I went into the gym and benched only the bar. My skeleton was shaking and I was nervous at first, but we all start somewhere. I couldn't complete eight reps in my four sets with just the bar. But next time will be better. And the time after that. And so on.

I'm just happy to not be shaking in my acoustic skeleton and walked over to the free weights.

Go and make me proud. We're gonna make it.
>>
>I just don't want to start with nothing and look like a moron lifting baby weights.

Nigga if you weren't a fat dude, then by default you're lifting baby weights.

Thing is that during the first 3-6 months you can reliably expect to progress at a rate that you will never, ever, ever experience again, unless you roid. Your central nervous system will be adapting, your muscles will increase their output drastically, but you need all of them to work together, not one by one.

You are not smarter than decades, if not centuries, of lifters, trainers and scientists. Learn to take a good advice from people who did your stumbles for you, so you don't have to.
>>
>>41476327
>>41476217
>>41476198
>>41476192

Free weights it is then. Thanks for the support bois.
>>
>>41476140

No, you'll learn bad habits. These bad habits will lead to injury when you switch to free weights.
>>
>>41476058
some machines are really good if they're used properly but only in addition to compound lifts.
>>
>>41476058
read the sticky
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.