[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Grappling

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 208
Thread images: 24

File: grappling.jpg (131KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
grappling.jpg
131KB, 800x450px
Calling all martial arts fags on /fit/

I want to start with martial arts in my routine, some kind of grappling. What style should I go with? There's plenty of clubs where I live. Should I do judo, BJJ or wrestling?
>BJJ - club is nearby and has good respected blackbelts as teachers. Sort of afraid of breaking my arms/kneecap. Almost no takedowns
>Judo - seems like a lot of fun and good exercise but doesn't seem to be a "martial art" in the sense that it probably doesn't work if your opponent doesn't wear a gi
>Wrestling - greco-roman club with good teachers, 6 miles away. Also afraid of concussions and/or breaking my neck

I really can't decide, some help please
>>
>>41412675
>wrestling
GOAT, do it for 5 years then switch to BJJ
>>
BJJ uses GI training primarily. Typically most places are going to have special non-GI days though.
>>
>>41412675
Wrassling is a fine sport, but if your a typical no cardio fit guy, get ready to suck wind and die every practice for like a month.
>>
>>41412675
>BJJ
This is easiest option if you are adult
>>
>>41412726
This. Conversely, if you have weak grip strength, BJJ will cure that up for you real quick.
>>
>>41412738
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. Are you saying BJJ is easier to learn or execute than Judo and Wrestling?
>>
>>41412675
Well OP it depends. Do you want to do mma? If so then wrestling or BJJ. Rught away I'd suggest wrestling though, it's a great base to start with. greco Roman is cool but see if you can do catch or submission wrestling, or even freestyle. You can also drop by for a class and see for yourself which you'd like. Just come in with an open mind and focused on learning first she foremost.

t. Former collegiate wrestler, currently going to start BJJ in the next two weeks
>>
>>41412675
BJJ
>you won't break anything if you're not a retard
>you will do some takedowns
Judo
>it does very without a GI, very easily
Greco
>no you won't get concussed
Try our a class at each one and see which you prefer. Consider atmosphere, training intensity, quality of coaching/training partners, competition record, qualifications of trainers, price. All else being equal the place that's closest to you is beat because you'll be less likely to skip training when you can't be arsed. But most important is how much you enjoy training there.
>>
>>41412749
He means least strenuous because you won't ever get slammed. Although you will learn to breakfall doing the other two so it's not as bad as it sounds.
>>
What do you want out of martial arts?
If you want self-defense, take wrestling or judo.
Judo works fine without a gi.
You won't break your arms/kneecaps if you tap.
You won't get many concussions in wrestling. You also won't break your neck there.

I'd go with wrestling because it has best teachers.
Otherwise judo, it's not as fun as it looks but it's the most "complete" of the three, especially if it's more traditional and not olympic-focused.
>>
>>41412717
>>41412726
>>41412767
>>41412772
I think wrestling seems like the most fun out of the three but 6 miles is kind of far away (I don't have a car) and i've read somewhere that concussions are common and some old wrestlers are even punch-drunk.
>>
>>41412803
Then do BJJ for a month and after that judo for a month and see what you like more.
>>
>>41412803
Nah, you occasionally get stingers which are spinal, but I don't know any that got concussions and wrestlers tend to be short zippy guys, not palookas.
>>
>>41412726
>a month
Try a year
>>
>>41412749
Easier to train and execute. But it's very technical and hard to learn.
>>
>>41412854
>a year
Try a lifetime
>>
>>41412861
only if you're doing it right
>>
>>41412861
OP here, I will try all three for a lifetime to see what suits me
>>
>>41412852
>wrestlers tend to be short zippy guys, not palookas.
I'm 6'1 with kind of a slender frame, is this something to take into consideration
>>
Does uchi mata work well vs wrestling low stance?
>>
>>41412899
Nah it doesn't really matter, except the zippy part.
>>
>>41412899
If you find a BJJ gym that teach self defence, and not competitive style, I'd go for that. BJJ is getting watered down and ineffective IRL because a lot of the technique they teach won't be good as soon as strikes and concrete floor is a part of the equation. Works for winning competitions though
>>
File: Fist-Bump.jpg (73KB, 1509x795px) Image search: [Google]
Fist-Bump.jpg
73KB, 1509x795px
I go to a MMA gym and they offer wrestling and bjj. In my experience wrestling is much better for the common man in a self defense situation.
Bjj is also great but you get to used to being on your back which is the worst case scenario in a fight.
In my opinion a mixture of both is necessary to be succesfull and well rounded as a fighter.(if thats you're goal)
At the end of the day its best to avoid a strret fight if at all possible and not risk injury to yourself or the other person.
>>
>>41412675
>BJJ - afraid of breaking my arms/kneecap
Very unlikely. Closed guard jumping and most leg locks are prohibited for white belts anyway, and in case of armbars, just tap.
>Judo - it probably doesn't work if your opponent doesn't wear a gi
Adapt grips slightly, and 90% of it works just fine. Most Judo throws have a direct wrestling equivalent.
>Wrestling - afraid of concussions and/or breaking my neck
Excellent sport, but Greco-Roman wrestling does seem to have the highest injury rate amongst grappling arts.
>>
>>41412927
If you're good with uchi mata you'll be able to pull it off in a scramble. Overhook and twist away with your overhooking hand in front of you or underhook and scoop them up with your hip.
>>
>>41412974
>At the end of the day its best to avoid a strret fight if at all possible
yeah absolutely, I'm not looking for fights and have never been in a fight since I was like 14. But if you train a martial art you want it to "work" if you get what im saying
>>
>>41413027
make sure you roll(spar) often then. If you go to a gym and they arent rolling everyday its a shit gym.
>>
>>41412675
>>41412722
Train nogi BJJ, depending on your coach you might have a bit more wrestling thrown into the game. My coach has a huge background in wrestling so we'll have entire weeks based around wrestling.

That being said, if you plan on lifting while also training, and want to train for as long time as possible, BJJ in general does the least damage to the body. Judo's constant throws and smashes will definitely fuck you up over time, and the grip fighting in gi BJJ and Judo will fuck with your hands.

Wrestling is just aggressive and hard shit, its insanely cool, and insanely difficult, but will also wreck your body like you've never felt. Especially if you're starting it a bit later.

BJJ intensity is kind of at your own pace and your rolling partner, if you're at a good school you should never be scared of getting seriously hurt in a live roll. Maybe some neck pain on the occasion, but your partners are there to look out for you and you them. If you compete though, your safety is 100% on you.
>>
>>41412800
fuck you and fuck traditional
>>
>>41412959
BJJ is only half of it. A good BJJ instructor will always let you know that. My gym offers Muay Thai in addition to BJJ for an extra $50.

Most times my instructor will point out what positions/guards/takedowns are feasible only in BJJ, and that you'll get your head pummeled the fuck in if you try it in a street fight.
>>
Wrestling is kinda gay...so yeah it is perfect for you OP
>>
File: VNyk86k.png (651KB, 1067x800px) Image search: [Google]
VNyk86k.png
651KB, 1067x800px
>Judo
Zero ground fighting, pretty much just revolves around bringing your opponent down and that's about it. Had a bunch of fights/spars against long term judo practitioners and even only judging from their fighting stance they're going to get knocked out by any amateur boxer. Furthermore they barely know any ground fighting, and this is where the fun begins when they think they can win by taking you down

>Wrestling:
Good option but still not useful for your casual fight, again no ground fighting except for trying to get your opponent on his back according to the rules, fucking awesome for learning takedowns though. Had some fights against wrestlers and they toyed with me on takedowns like I was a trash bin, but except for that it's trash

>BJJ:
Pretty good compared to the rest, most realistic situation you're ever be fighting in nothing else I'd have to point out

Also, you're seriously not expecting to go full fight mode the first six months you're in any MA Gym, right? You won't get anything broken if you don't do stupid shit and injure yourself.
>>
lol you'll get dunked on starting day one in wrestling, family. And that is why "sport" martial arts are superior to "2deadly4u" martial arts.
>>
>>41412675
>eems like a lot of fun and good exercise but doesn't seem to be a "martial art" in the sense that it probably doesn't work if your opponent doesn't wear a gi

You're confusing Judo and BJJ

Judo is more practical for IRL
>>
>>41413251
>>41412675

the best one is scholastic or freestyle wrestling for a BEGINNER.

it teaches the BASICS better than any other one; there's not a lot of non-transferable BASICS to other styles; there's not much you are going to learn that will be totally not usable in a street fight; there's not much you are going to learn that will be only applicable to wrestling
>>
>>41412974
>>41413027
>avoid streetfight
ITT pussies who wasted their time with useless wrestling and muay thai when 2 years of BJJ make you literally untouchable in a fight vs anyone but another BJJ practitioner.
>>
File: Emil Weber Meek.jpg (206KB, 990x660px) Image search: [Google]
Emil Weber Meek.jpg
206KB, 990x660px
If you've no striking option, go for Wrestling.

BJJ fags will tell you theirs is superior, but Wrestling is where you build your toughness. It'll grind you the fuck out for a year minimum before you even begin to get used to it, but if you manage to withhold the pressure, you'll transcend mankind.

It goes like this: Wrestling > BJJ >>>> Judo
>>
>>41414073
Rasslin is utterly useless on a street fight. You take someone down and then one?
>>
>>41414073
BJJ is literally judo but focused on ground game instead of takedowns.
>>
>>41414024
> get up in my guard bro!
>>
>>41414145
You crack his skull on the curb and go to jail for murder or you sit on top of him and start punching him or if you did judo/bjj you can break his arm/leg/choke he while his friends are stabbing you with broken glass and knives and guns.
>>
File: Suplex City IRL.webm (3MB, 360x450px) Image search: [Google]
Suplex City IRL.webm
3MB, 360x450px
>>41414145
>utterly useless
Sure, if you're a wimp.

>>41414156
That's why I'd recommend it before Judo. The latter is useful but BJJ is miles ahead in terms of actual practical uses.
>>
What's better?

A 10/10 bjj gym which will be GOAT for bjj but lacking in stand up/striking game.

or a 5/10 bjj and kickboxing gym which will make me more well rounded but is almost mcdojo.
>>
>>41412675
>judo doesnt work without a gi

What did he mean by this??1?
>>
>>41414073
So what striking discipline would you recommend?
>>
>>41414221
10/10 bjj one, I went to a bad kickboxing gym and my punches/kicks sucked until I went to a half-decent boxing gym.
>>
>>41414206
jesus fuck he got ragdolled like a sack of potatoes
>>
>>41414186
>>41414206
Yeah, really smart, killing someone in a street fight. Rasslin! Why break their arm when you can just kill them?
>>
File: Valhalla Meek.jpg (123KB, 1310x873px) Image search: [Google]
Valhalla Meek.jpg
123KB, 1310x873px
>>41414229
I'm currently doing Kickboxing, Muay Thai and Boxing. My coach likes to implement stuff from Savate and self defense shit that will cripple someone in a life or death situation, even kill them if needed. Been doing it for a while too, so if I had to go with any out of all of these, prolly Boxing to start.

You won't run into many people who kick outside the gym and even less people who wrestle (if you're a Yuro like me, I mean). Boxing gives you the striking base, teaches you how to punch with your body and not with your arms. Transitioning from that to Kickboxing or Muay Thai is much easier than simply starting with those.

>>41414285
>IT'S USELESS!
>IT'S DEADLY!
Make up your mind, loser. Let those goalposts stand still.
>>
>>41414206
So has the skinny guy any MA experience?
>>
>>41414339
4 year MMA champion.
>>
>>41414328
>teaches you how to punch with your body and not with your arms
In what world does that make sense to you? I'm trying to picture a man throwing his body at someone.
>>
>>41414376
you're an idiot
>>
>>41414328
There's zero point in doing any kind of striking art in this day and age, it's all about BJJ or maybe sambo, not sure about the latter, never tried it.
>>
>>41414328
Been meaning to try boxing for a long while now. Don't feel safe anymore with just weightlifting. There's one called Wild Card near me, might go down there and check it.
>>
Where the fuck do I train wrestling at a later age? I have a little competitive experience in it but I'm too old to wrestle in college. There's no structured practices near me aside from an MMA gym close to me that only does it every once in a while.
>>
>>41414376
He is talking about using your full body when you punch
>>
>>41414421
>There's zero point in doing any kind of striking art in this day and age, it's all about BJJ or maybe sambo
Care to elaborate. Why would it be useless

>>41414350
Holy fuck. What is the other guy? Wrestling champion?
>>
>>41414468
All fights go to the ground and very few people can KO someone in the second it takes to close distance, just watch UFC.
>>
File: MMA Kid.webm (3MB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
MMA Kid.webm
3MB, 1080x1080px
>>41414376
What >>41414389 said.

>>41414421
Surely you're horsing around? That's the basis of everything that's stand up. Look at a collection of the greatest strikers in the UFC and compare them to those who are pure BJJ fags.

>Inb4 Khabib
He's a can crusher and a pull-out merchant, so don't go there.

Striking is essential. If you have the option to couple it with a solid BJJ and Wrestling base, even better, but I'll always take Striking over those two.

>>41414427
>Wild Card
As in Freddie Roach's Wild Card? Surely you're shitting me.
>>
>>41412887

Be sure to post results
>>
>>41413568
Where do you think you are?
>>
>>41414458
They aren't going to understand what you're talking about m80. It's one of those fags that posts the "le faster velocity = le more energy = le better punches" and other variations of my speed is superior crap.
>>
File: Brady.jpg (61KB, 656x557px) Image search: [Google]
Brady.jpg
61KB, 656x557px
>>41414485
>Freddie Roach's Wild Card
Yeah, that's the one. After a quick google search I can see why you'd think I'm pulling your leg but I'm a complete idiot when it comes to combat sports. I assume that's a yes to trying my luck there.
>>
>>41413731
No gi BJJ exists m8.
>>
>>41414468
I don't think that guy was an "MMA champion"
>>
>>41414206
The other thing to consider is doing shit slow and then doing it fast is better than the other way. Judo has aggressive and faster ground game (when they cover it), so you get the benefit of a better progression on that front.
>>
File: Kanye.gif (606KB, 342x198px) Image search: [Google]
Kanye.gif
606KB, 342x198px
>>41414485
Don't bother with that idiot.
Anyone who says a discipline of martial arts is useless in any aspect is a complete moron. Especially one that disregards "striking" in its entirety. Either a Russian moron or just a regular watered down moron.
>>
>>41414602
>>41414485
Butthurt for losing to grapplers?
>>
>>41412675
if you want to do martial arts and afraid of injuries i have some bad news
>>
>>41414643
Stop RPing bud.
>>
File: Wonderpedo kills Hendricks.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Wonderpedo kills Hendricks.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>>41414556
Fuck me. Go for it if you can afford it, assuming you're not just rusing me.

>>41414600
Except for Wrestling, I don't think I know any Martial Art that starts in a very aggressive way that I have actually tried on myself.

I might be wrong, I only fucked around with Judo for two months when I was a teenager. But everywhere I went they gave you a reasonably slow start in what concerns technique itself and a hard one on your cardio and getting used to the grind.

>>41414602
Point taken, lad.

>>41414643
Never lost to a grappler, so no. What the other lad said, you sound like a moron. An armchair """expert""" one at that.
>>
File: btfo.jpg (10KB, 395x129px) Image search: [Google]
btfo.jpg
10KB, 395x129px
>>41414602
>>41414680
>>41414692
hooked and cooked
>>
>>41414692

That one dude kicked the other in the dick.
>>
>>41414692
>play football for 15 years
>can run for 90+ minutes with no issue whatsoever
>try kickboxing for the first time at 22
>can barely get to the end of the class for the first month and a half
Can someone explain the reason behind this?
>>
>>41414692
Literally just managed to get a lucky punch in the first seconds. Low percentile.
>>
>>41414692
There's a lot of variation. Ime judo is very much more aware of its sport status.

Ground game is covered later most places (it's not a very large part of the sport but you stil need to know it) so it's often covered v quickly. Certainly relative to bjj. That's not to say that judo starts off more aggressive or faster and so on, you still have to cover certain skills.

It's a boringly common opinion I'm spouting here regards ground game, so ask around and you'll find others with similar thoughts.
>>
File: jab parry single leg stop.webm (2MB, 450x252px) Image search: [Google]
jab parry single leg stop.webm
2MB, 450x252px
>>41414753
>>
>>41414602

>Russian moron

What've you got against us Russians, mate? We created Sambo which is like an actual combat version of BJJ because it actually includes lots of striking aside from all the grappling.
>>
>>41414485
Grappling beats striking 90% of the time.
>>
>>41414795
>have to resort to cherry picking to prove the worth of their "martial" art
Any untrained faggot can get lucky like that. You might as well play tennis or badminton to get reflexes and learn how to "punch with your whole body" without getting Parkinson's.
>>
File: 1483317099394.webm (3MB, 405x720px) Image search: [Google]
1483317099394.webm
3MB, 405x720px
>>41414838
>>
>>41414850
Did he died?

That was just terrible really.
>>
File: Hendo Lombard heem.webm (3MB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
Hendo Lombard heem.webm
3MB, 1024x576px
>>41414729
He apologised, gave him space to see if he was hurt and then continued to wail on him.

>>41414750
Different kinds of cardio. Same happened to me, I used to play football in my teens and when I started Martial Arts I was pooped every day.

>>41414753
>L-Lucky!
Lol.

>>41414790
All my ground game is Wrestling and very basic BJJ. I lost interest in Judo a long ago, so I'm kinda of a dummy when it comes to its offence, especially in what concerns on the ground.

Plus, we've no Judo places around here that I know of. I'd gladly try it out.

>>41414832
Whatever helps you sleep at night. I've a couple hours free, want me to dump my folder of people trying to wrestle and getting KTFO, both professionally and on the street?

Absolute statements like that only make you sound like an absolute chode, son. An armchair expert at that who never stepped foot inside of a gym.
>>
>>41414850
1) If your previous webm proves anything it's that striking is useless even as a set up for a takedown, and that instead of a leg grab, the fighter who got knocked out should have used bjj instead of doing the same thing three times in a row.
2) The guy trying the takedown in the second webm is obviously untrained
3) If I start posting webms of successful throat strikes will you agree that it's a viable technique?
>>
>>41414894
>that little monkey shuffle at the end
Fucking love old man Henderson
>>
>>41414894
>I've a couple hours free, want me to dump my folder of people trying to wrestle and getting KTFO, both professionally and on the street?
Not him but please do. I'm especially interested as someone who recently started boxing
>>
>>41414894
did an armchair expert cuck you while you were training marshul arts because you seem to be awfully defensive about that
>>
>>41413615
Ever been slammed on concrete by a wrestler? There's a reason MMA champs are wrestlers first with good BJJ defense. Being on top in a real fight matters, especially when it's on concrete or some other hard surface.
>>
>>41414795
>>41414850
>>41414894
He's quite obviously b8ing you retards. No one who is even mildly into martial arts will say stupid shit like that. Stop replying. It's like do you see this >>41414925
Do you? He's not even arguing, he's just blatantly shitposting. Ignore him and move on.
>>
>>41414906
>>41414894
Both of you post as much of this shit as you like.
>>
>>41414145
You punch him in the face.
>>
File: 1447614116278.webm (2MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1447614116278.webm
2MB, 640x360px
>>41414943
I know but its an excuse to post fight webms.
>>
>>41414943
I'm the one who posted that and I was lurking before that. I actually think that you can be a good grappler with any grappling sport and that striking is more important in a self defense scenario at least.
>>
>>41414919
>>41414946
how about we don't encourage this and just go back to the original topic? you have a couple guys here who are trolling and a couple guys who are willing to shit up the thread with non-stop webms to prove a point
>>
>>41414963
The tripfag made a point that no martial art is useless.
The anon b8r is not only saying a martial art is useless but that a whole discipline of martial arts are useless (striking).
Do you honestly find a point of continuing this feud and that people should bother replying and killing this thread with pointless arguing?
>>
>>41414968
I agree on wrestling.

It goes pipe bomb >>>> track and field (running is the most important) >>>> striking (boxing and muay thai) >>>> grappling (wrestling and bjj).
>>
>>41414961
Hey, WMMA doesn't count
>>
File: 1481571977994.webm (3MB, 900x506px) Image search: [Google]
1481571977994.webm
3MB, 900x506px
>>41414906
>>
>>41412675
I do MMA and I enjoy wrestling the most honestly, but I would say go try them all and decide. How helpful they are in a real situation? Real combat is nothing like modern martial arts, but I would say wrestling > bjj > judo
>>
File: Bader murders Latifi.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Bader murders Latifi.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>The state of this fucking thread
>>
>>41412675
OP here again, this all got me pretty sold on wrestling, if nothing else I will at least try it.

Is concussions a serious issue with wrestling? I'm kind of a pussy about that since it's spooky shit and I need my brain to work for my studies.
>>
>>41415140
Hey, I'm >>41415103
I have never experienced a concussion during wrestling though I did once pass out during bjj
>>
>>41415140
nah man
someone pointed out itt that you don't start that hard if you're a beginner
concussions and shit only occur if you don't listen to your coach
leave your ego at the door and follow every commands he gives you
>>41415153
did you shit yourself while out? there's this guy in my class who legit shat himself when he got choked, never showed up at the gym again
>>
>>41415140
I wouldn't worry about. Your injury rate in classes is generally pretty low when it comes to grappling unless you are in a competition where people are trying to murder each other.

Training partners aren't going to try and kill you since they want to learn and continue training with you. Also, they don't gain much from crushing new guys (not that guys like that don't exist).
>>
>>41415170
>there's this guy in my class who legit shat himself when he got choked, never showed up at the gym again

Lmao holy shit. I've heard of that with body shots in striking but not from being choked out. Did he forget to tap or something?
>>
>>
>>41415258
we're not sure what happened, he was mumbling "never give up" they later told me before he got choked and i assume he refused to tap
he was a blue belt too, so you know he wasted at least a year on that shit
>>
>>41415170
>>41415258
shitting yourself while getting choked is a thing apperently, something about fight-or-flight-signals going haywire I think.
Steven Seagal shat himself on set TWICE when he tried to act tough with the martial art instructors.
>>
>>41415170
what the fuck didn't know that was a thing, no I didn't
>>
>>41415286
Steven Segal is primarily a bullshit artist, though. Aikido is laughably ineffective against pretty much any martial art, even fucking Tae Kwon Do, the clown college of martial arts. On top of that, he didn't even earn his rank, he bought it by "donation".
>>
>>41415128
You're a reasonable poster. It's a sea of people like >>41415269 that shit on actual discussion. I noticed neither you or this guy here >>41414795 dismissed any martial arts. Personally I've been practicing MMA (mostly BJJ, wrestling drills and kickboxing) for 9 years now and if I learned anything is that there's no "useless" shit on most scenarios outside the gym.
>>41415258
Releasing your bowels is a lot more common than one would assume. It nearly happened to me when I first go started. I'll never forget the panic and pre-shame of almost shitting myself in front of the whole class.
>>
>>41415286
I think it would work to the same effect of people shitting themselves when they die. The bowels relax and it all just flows out when they go unconscious.

Pissing yourself is more fight or flight. I've seen street fight where people have done that.
>>
>>41415318
People like the image on >>41415269*
My bad.
>>
File: Dying.jpg (18KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
Dying.jpg
18KB, 200x200px
>>41415283
>he was mumbling "never give up"
>Mfw
Puking is what's the usual thing here, we have a "bucket" set aside especially for when a guy has to let it out.

>>41415318
You kinda have to lose any form of arrogance when it comes to being an expert after you try Martial Arts for a few years.

Otherwise you learn nothing. It's all Gucci, my nigga. Let them think what they will, hopefully they'll get in a street fight themselves and get humbled.
>>
>>41415369
is puking that common? I puked once at the dojo and felt very embarrassed, to the point of not wanting to go back. Never saw anyone else do it ever.
>>
>>41415369
>>41415403
oh dude don't get me started
i vomited 6 times in the first two months because of sheer exhaustion
they called me 'general barf' for a while because of it
>>
>>41415403
Puking is pretty common in those who are not in shape (most people).
>>
>>41415283
I think my body has some sort of anti shit monitor for this reason.

Before I have to go to class or any type of cardio I have to shit at least twice before leaving.
>>
>>41415369
>You kinda have to lose any form of arrogance
Agreed. Seeing someone else utterly dominate you in something strips you of that. By the time you get to dominate others you're too aware of the price of arrogance, so you toss it aside.
>>
>>41415415
fucking jelly, man
i take those anti-diarrhea pills before every single one of my classes
got paranoid because i myself felt the need several times so i never want to risk it
>>
>>41415403
Yeah, if you don't drink enough water and get pushed through cardio or eat to close before training hard.

I generally don't eat within 4 or 5 hours of a training session and drink half a gallon of water.
>>
>>41414221
10/10 gym easily.
>>
>>41415462
>>41414250

Thanks
>>
>>41415446
I think everyone is different. I can eat and drink before and during BJJ, Krav, and Muay Thai, no problem.I don't go chugging cold fucking water or anything, though. I bring room temperature water, and a room temperature watered down gatorade for when I'm into a second or third hour of training, and I take sips often. Never have puked or felt sick from it. I see other people barfing the second they get into sparring after a single gulp of water.
>>
>>41412675
No matter what you do, you'll learn how to grapple. I put my vote in for wrestling only because that as an adult, there aren't a lot of places you can get good wrestling training but there is always a good bjj or judo school nearby.
>>
File: Meekerino.jpg (47KB, 900x506px) Image search: [Google]
Meekerino.jpg
47KB, 900x506px
>>41415403
It really is. At the beginning I got it a lot too.

The secret is to eat a big meal hours (+3) before the training session and this tiny power-up meal an hour and a half before (think of a protein bar, something with sugar, etc) and to down a litre of water like 30 minutes before you start. Since I started doing that I never had any issues, except yesterday for some weird reason.

>>41415409
Bless your heart, lad.
>>
File: bongo.jpg (33KB, 700x405px) Image search: [Google]
bongo.jpg
33KB, 700x405px
>>41415446
>>41415487
>>41415493
Well fuck guys, which one is it?
>>
>>41415534
Learn how /you/ work. It's different for everyone. Being in shape is a huge factor though. It seems like it's always the fatties or the swole gym bros that are barfing.No cardio.
>>
>>41415556
I'm >>41414750
My cardio was fine until I started kickboxing. I only vomited once but it took me the longest time to get used to it. Not to say you're not right though but I think there are exceptions.
>>
>>41415487
Could be, I've almost throw up from having fish oils or eating within like 2 hours before a bench day.

I just recommend proper hydration since vomiting is a symptom of dehydration. I've seen that quite a bit from taking physical training tests in the military and guys just throw up at the mile mark because they were out drinking or didn't drink water at all the night before
>>
>>41415488
Also, kind of as opinion that may or may not get me crucified, they're all the same stuff anyways. The only thing really different is the ruleset. I'm a bjjfag and I love it but when I roll with judokas and wrestlers, they do shit I struggle to deal with, especially on the feet. From my experience, most bjjfags are pretty bad on their feet so a solid wrestling background will do you wonders if you ever wanted to get into judo or bjj later. And, like I said, opportunities for wrestling when you're older are much less common than bjj or judo.
>>
>>41415597
Your cardio was not fine for kickboxing apparently :) You're able to exert yourself physically beyond what your body can handle. There have been plenty of people I've trained with that could run long distances, or do training drills in Muay Thai for instance, but as soon as you put them in the ring, they were barf city. When your activity gets strenuous enough that you can't concentrate on how your body is feeling, that's when barfing starts to crop up. Over exertion because you couldn't or didn't pay attention to your body. In this case, what your body is telling you is that it's not ready for that level of cardio just yet.
>>
>>41415733
Is there any cardio exercises you would recommend? Specific for kickboxing and muay thai. It's all good when we train and what not, but the sparring sessions still tax me way harder than they should to the point where I get dizzy sometimes.
>>
>>41415760
Not him but isn't skipping rope a universally loved exercise for all strikers
>>
>>41415760
Muay Thai is plenty good cardio as long as you're training a gym with a fight team. Never train at a gym that doesn't have its own team. You want serious training. Complimentary training would be long distance interval running. What I did, which gave me what seemed like limitless cardio in the ring was six miles a day, 5 minutes of fastest sprinting I could do, followed by 5 minutes of slow jogging. This mimics the 5 minute rounds you see in professional bouts, albeit with a larger rest period. Proper nutrition, rest, and supplementation is also very important. You can read about that all online, and honestly, /fit/ really isn't the best source of information for that type of stuff.
>>
>>41415771
I liked jumping rope, but had to stop because of flat feet. Excruciating pain in the mornings.
>>
>>41415771
I suck at it but I'll keep doing it until I get good. There's this guy at the gym who warms up for almost an hour doing just that, it's fucking mind boggling.
>>41415815
>six miles a day
>5 minutes of fastest sprinting
>5 minutes of slow jogging
Jesus how long did it take you to do that properly and comfortably? Sounds really impossible.
>>
>>41415851
It took me about 6 months before I actually fully completed the run in this manner. It doesn't matter if you fail to keep the pace, just that you give those intense 5 minutes everything you have. Do the 5 minute resting jog, and then go right back into those intense 5 minutes giving it everything you have. Eventually you'll work your way to where you can maintain the pace. After that, 9 and 10 minute miles were like a brisk walk for me, and I often found myself breathing entirely through my nose when I went running with other people. My doctor said my resting heart rate was the same as someone who was sleeping. It's a shitload of work, but it pays off.
>>
File: 1493768141152.png (41KB, 144x115px) Image search: [Google]
1493768141152.png
41KB, 144x115px
>tfw like the idea of doing a martial art but know i'd never keep it up because I'm an autismo who doesn't like being near others
Thats why I like lifting, swimming, and other solitary shit
>>
Lads my uni gym has some bjj classes etc, would that be worth while or is it likely to be a meme?
>>
>>41415913
BJJ is a lot of fun, and reasonably effective. At least try it out.
>>
>>41415889
So it's one of those "keep at it, don't give up, you'll eventually get it" things? Just hearing those benefits about the resting heart rate makes me want to go do it now, honestly. Thanks for the tips man, I'll make them work the best I can. Hard work doesn't scare me as long as I get results eventually.
>>
>>41415931
I meant more would it be worthwhile because someone was saying don't bother if it's not a serious one etc
>>
>>41415932
Those runs to me were simply a challenge to myself. I'm my own biggest critic, and so even running by myself at 5am on a rural path, I had something to prove- to myself. I don't feel that way when I spar or fight. One of my best instructors always drilled into us that the biggest part of the fight is the training that leads up to it. The fight itself is easy and over in minutes, and you're not likely to remember it nearly as much as all the hard work leading up to it. Even if you never make it to that goal that I made for myself, just get out there and push yourself, and never be "comfortable" with how hard you're working. Once you hit some milestones, that itself will give you the drive to work even harder, and it won't seem like work.
>>
>>41415946
Any grappling experience is good. If you outgrow their instruction, you'll still have learned something valuable. Signs that it's not a "serious" gym are going to be lack of participation in competitions, no competitors, no belts, or an instructor that isn't a black belt.
>>
File: OSOI.jpg (136KB, 797x876px) Image search: [Google]
OSOI.jpg
136KB, 797x876px
>tfw want to do every single martial arts

Thinking about :

BJJ+Muay Thai+Boxing or BJJ+Kung Fu+Kickboxing

Always wanted to learn Kung fu.
>>
>>41416000
I'm the same way. I've done Aikido, Muay Thai, Jeet Kun Do / Kali / Eskrima, and I'm currently active in Krav Maga and BJJ. Wanted to try Kung Fu at some point, but where I am experience-wise, Kung Fu seems a little ineffective to take up.
>>
>>41415973
I don't think I have the ambition to fight someday because I think that ship has sailed on the count of me starting training at 22 and being 24 now. It seems like it's too late for that but I still want to excel and cardio is probably the thing I'm lacking the most. I believe I can do this if I persist.
What did you do before you started that run? Were you practicing any sport prior?
>>
>>41416017
>Aikido
Isn't this a meme?
>>
>>41416017
Sadly no Jeet Kun Do where i live.

I almost went to a Shotokan Karate dojo but there were only little kids there.
>>
>>41415815
How did you maintain weight? I do an hour of muay thai then 1.5hours of BJJ and iv lost 15 lbs in 4 months
>>
>>41416045
You're still peak fighting age, FYI, but I understand not having a goal of fighting. It's not for everyone, but you may find yourself wanting to give it a shot as you get more experienced.

I did that run in the morning before work, and at the time I was training Muay Thai evenings for a couple hours each day. I began the running because I felt like my cardio wasn't where it should be for Muay Thai. I'd get seriously winded during sparring, one time I ended up hyperventilating after one session, and I just decided I needed to get my cardio up.
>>
>>41416076
Aikido is garbage. I got out quick.
>>
>>41416017
What do you think Tae Kwen Do?
>>
>>41416103
not him but I used to do TKD as a kid. Literally meme, you just poke eachother lightly with kicks. Some of the spinning kicks are useful in MMA but as a whole it's pretty bogus
>>
>>41416080
>>41416103

Like Shotokan, Tae Kwon Do is ineffective against anyone not practising their sport's rules.
>>
>>41416083
Weight maintenance, specifically body fat maintenance is handled by diet, not by exercise.
>>
File: that little fork kills me.jpg (395KB, 1238x2174px) Image search: [Google]
that little fork kills me.jpg
395KB, 1238x2174px
>>41416114
>>41416126
Damn.

How about Kickboxing? Is it a meme too?
>>
>>41416162
"kickboxing" isn't really a traditional style per se but most kickboxing gyms are pretty good. If you want a "classic" martial art, try muay thai.
>>
>>41416162
That depends upon what type of kickboxing. Most kickboxing is going to be pretty good, except maybe Savate, which I personally think is kind of fucking stupid, but even that has its place in a well-rounded fighter.
>>
>>41416176
>>41416179
I'll do Muay Thai since the only Kickboxing gym in my city closed last year. I'm kind of excited so i think i'll train Muay Thai first and then move to BJJ.

Thanks guys.
>>
>>41416179
Gotta go, so here's what I'd recommend for those new to martial arts and not sure where to start: Muay Thai, Krav Maga, and any grappling experience (Western, Judo, BJJ). Do all three, do one, do two, whatever, they'll serve you well either as a starting point, or even long-term. Good luck!
>>
>>41416221
Muay Thai is both an effective ring and street art (as long as you leave the thai kicks out of a real fight).
>>
>>41416103
TKD suffers greatly from McDojo. It's alright if you find a serious sport place to do it but even then it's not unusual to see really poor movement/biomechanics.

>>41416179
With striking (as in boxing) it's one of those weird things that the best quality schools are typically boxing (hands only) and then as you go down the body while it's still useful you're still getting diminishing returns. You will probably learn the most useful stuff from boxing and the least from savate, although as you say there are always some gems to be found.
>>
>>41416263
100% agree.
>>
>>41416221
>>41416249
MMA seems to prove that Muay Thai is the superior form of striking. It also works very well in close-up situations where boxing fails, i.e you use your knees and elbows. If I was to choose any striking martial art, it'd be thai any day of the week
>>
Just learn the different aspects of MMA.

holy shit why is this even debated anymore. we have nearly 25 years of actual data on what is effective.
>>
>>41416298
MMA is more a form of competition than it is a martial art. Also, there are still huge changes going on because the sport is so new.
No one knew what the fuck sambo was before Fedor was a thing, hell no one knew about Brazilian Jijutsu before Gracies raped the UFC.
We're still seeing a lot of different schools and disciplines being useful in different situations.
Hell, Stephen "Wonderboy" Thompson is making some crazy McDojo style Karate work in the highest level of martial arts.
>>
>>41416298

Because most people don't want/can't afford to be visiting 3 different gyms for each aspect, and the gyms advertising as just mma its basically a shortcut for brawler steroid heads to get anger out on each other without it being an actual martial art.

It's difficult to come across a decent single gym where you can train in all aspects properly.

So most people are in a position where they can only choose one, and they want to choose the best one.
>>
>>41413076
No gi is a meme unless you only plan to do it as a sport, gi training is more practical if you ever do need to defend yourself since you'll learn stuff that incorporates using someone's belt and shirt and so on
If you are getting attacked by men only wearing shorts then I won't judge your lifestyle
>>
>>41416349
You don't need to do everything. Nor does it have to be all at once. Take boxing lessons for 6 months, then add or replace with something else if you want to be well rounded.
>>
>>41416084
I'd do it if people told me it's not too late. I'm not a genetic freak like Jon Jones or Conor McGregor that can just learn shit in 24 months that normal people would learn in years, but I'm no slack either.
If you're still around, thanks for the tips, man. Know that you helped someone grow today, I'm putting that 6 mile run to good use starting tomorrow morning.
>>
>>41412675
Everyone that says one of these three is better than another is an idiot. The most important part is that you have an instructor that teaches in a style that makes you learn and that promotes an environment that you enjoy. If you don't have that, you won't learn shit, and learning any of the three is good. I do judo, and have been doing it for years, and I'm planning on moving on to bjj after this next judo tournament.
Just do what you enjoy.
>>
>>41412675
Judo, you don't need them to be in a gi to toss their shit
>>
>>41416489
how confident are you that you could take down a goober who's not wearing a gi? that's what makes me being on the fence about judo
>>
>>41416668
I'd take you down, faggot. Maybe lick your bumhole too while I'm at it. What are you gonna do about it?
>>
>>41416814
a-anon not here
>>
>>41416853
>Tfw strong and experienced enough to rape a man
This confirms what I've been saying all my life, only pussies rape women. Real men rape other men.
>>
>>41416668
I'm very confident that I can take someone down if they are not wearing a gi. In fact, last night during judo practice someone was having problems with a throw because they were getting tangled up in the gi gripping, so the instructor made the people he was drilling with take off the jacket and use rash guards instead. That way he could practice the mechanics of the throw instead of the grip.
Fixed his shit up.
Judo doesn't really need the gi to implement the mechanics of the throw, but a gi will speed up the learning.
>>
>>41416894
>what I've been saying all my life
you must've been a weird kid
>>
>>41414206
damn he keeps going for suplexes even when he has him pinned, he's just showing off at that point
>>
>>41414024
>get tackled
>pull guard while being slammed onto concrete
top kek
>>
I have a bleeding disorder, so really hard contact shit like getting hit in the face would be nice to avoid. If I was picking a grappling style, what would be lowest risk of injury?
>>
>>41418329
Injuries aren't that common. It would take you fucking up and not minding what the coach is telling you for a serious injury to happen. But I gotta tell you, most of the bleeding I had came from grappling. Scratches and twisted or torn skin, that shit will make you bleed before you figure your way around it.
>>
>>41418329
if you have a bleeding disorder your best opption is to run from a fight not stay in one lol
>>
>>41418359
yeah scratches and minor shit doesn't matter so much. Is there much possibility of snapping joints and shit up?
>>41418371
wouldn't be training to get in a fight, would be for fun
>>
Wrestling is the Hardest and most rewarding sport you can do. Ive wrestled a while and can safely say its helped with various things in my life
>>
>>41418399
There's always a possibility, freak accidents happen, but it's NOT the typical run of things. If you pay attention and follow the coach's instructions down to a T, it's a rarity.
>>
I do judo and it's pretty gr8, would recommend. Having said that these three are all wrestling arts, they have more commonalities than differences, pick the one that you will stick due to location/price.
>>
BJJ is the best
>>
>>41412675
How about this one.
>Not being a bitch- just pick one you faggot
>>
>>41412675
Wrestling is more real life applicable than judo, and once you have a good feel for takedowns do bjj as well. Wrestling lends itself really well to bjj and will make you strong in ways lifting cant
>>
>>41412749
Wrestling is the most physically demanding of the three
>>
>>41412803
I wrestled for 11 years, including in college, and never once got a concussion
>>
>>41412899
You can be good no matter what your body type. It all depends on how you use it and your personal style. I hated wrestling tall guys
>>
>>41412927
You'd have to really set it up. Throws in wrestling are a lot harder to hit do to the low stance. However, if you work on set ups there's a lot of guys who specialize in throws
>>
>>41413615
Control is the ultimate way to win a fight and wrestling is the martial art of control
>>
>>41414206
Just think of this when someone tells you wrestling is gay or not useful
>>
>>41418933
I wish there was judo near me. I go to a BJJ place, and whenever they show takedowns, it's a blast.
>>
>>41414894
Can we all agree that at the highest level whats best is what the guys can get to work for them? Both striking and grappling have their merits
>>
>>41415140
Nope
>>
>>41419564
But then how would we shipost about how [style] is completely inferior to [style] and I could totally take you after only going 6 months? I need to feel tough online to ease the pain of my small penis.
>>
>>41415894
Just do it man. Nothing will help you bond with others more than grinding together. I'm a super Hermit but I have a familial bond with the guys on my wrestling team
>>
>>41412717
This. Wrestling is the best to start off with and I'd argue that sticking with it is just as good of an idea. Greco-Roman is badass and it won't give you concussions because they teach you how to fall correctly and the mats are really shock-absorbant. Its really fun and will make you better in pretty much every way
>>
>>41419588
You're right I'm sorry. I feel like such a dick
>>
>>41412974
>Bjj is also great but you get to used to being on your back which is the worst case scenario in a fight.
this is wrong though
being on the bottom of turtle is far worse than being on the bottom of guard, half guard or even side control

yet wrestling rules encourage you to be on the bottom of turtle instead
Thread posts: 208
Thread images: 24

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.