[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

cholesterol

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: the_great_cholesterol_con.jpg (37KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
the_great_cholesterol_con.jpg
37KB, 500x500px
thoughts on this book?
in short
>almost everything about cholesterol is fucking bullshit
>heart diseases are usually arthery diseases
>heart diseases are caused by stress responses or whatever they were called, for example, excessive anabolic steroids, smoking, diabetes, damaged spine nerve
sorry for explaining it in such a stupid manner, just a TL;DR
>>
Idk I already know dietary cholesterol is fine so I don't know if I need to read a whole book
>>
the world health organization is generally in agree with the book's findings. really nothing groundbreaking here.
>>
>>41409787
It's pretty much consensus that high cholesterol is not a disease itself but an adaption to various conditions, mostly inflammation.
>>
>>41409787

It's a stupid book written by a stupid person, intended for other stupid people to read and feel relieved that the unhealthy foods they like eating aren't killing them.

The basic concept of it is batshit crazy and hard to imagine anyone taking it seriously, disregarding the fact that it's trying to say that the basis of modern cardiology, the thing that cardiologists have been using to treat patients for over half a century, is fundementally incorrect.

>there's nothing wrong with having high levels of cholesterol in your blood. Unlike every single other thing that you find in blood, there's no limit or practical range for how much cholesterol should be floating around.
>even though cholesterol largely makes up the plaque that form in your arteries, the severity of which increases linearly with the amount of cholesterol in the blood, and experiments on thousands of animal species have shown elevated cholesterol to be the single most important factor in developing said plaque, cholesterol is actually harmless and not maliciously involved in any way with heart disease

I hate to think that people on this board can be so gullible as to believe this kind of blatant psuedoscience.
>>
yeah, most cholesterol eaten is just shat out, your liver determines how much you get

pretty much a big fuck you to vegans who got shitty genetics
>>
>>41410330
>>41410330
>>41410330

this
>>
>>41410330
>I hate to think that people on this board can be so gullible as to believe this kind of blatant psuedoscience.
welcome to 4chan
>>
i dont know anymore, everything is bad and everything is good depending who you listen to. im currently listening to "the grain brain" and now i believe carbs and wheat is super bad for you, but i dont really know.
>>
>>41410330
>there's no limit or practical range for how much cholesterol should be floating around
Heh
>cholesterol largely makes up the plaque that form in your arteries
>cholesterol is actually harmless and not maliciously involved in any way with heart disease
Heh2
>>
>>41410380

Grain Brain is also pretty dumb and almost entirely based on a shaky, untested hypothesis by the author, who changes his mind about what's good or bad for you based on whatever is trending at the time

http://nymag.com/scienceofus/2015/06/problem-with-the-grain-brain-doctor.html

Don't listen to every quack that writes a book. The less congruent a piece of information is with what is accepted by the mainstream, the less likely it is to be true. It makes no sense to listen to a single nobody who wrote a book that happens to pander to a group of people, rather than the global community of scientists who together research these things and come to agreements based on what the evidence shows.
>>
http://theincidentaleconomist.com/wordpress/healthcare-triage-cholesterol-isnt-quite-as-bad-as-youve-been-told/
>>
File: 1484903791727.jpg (134KB, 960x792px) Image search: [Google]
1484903791727.jpg
134KB, 960x792px
>>41410330
Sorry, you make too much sense
>>
>>41410410
People love the "Only I know the actual truth" because it makes them feel special. "The consensus is just what the majority agrees on and the majority is often stupid".
>>
File: 117199918.png (372KB, 1980x1002px) Image search: [Google]
117199918.png
372KB, 1980x1002px
>>41410439

This is talking about dietary cholesterol, and they're making a common mistake in saying that dietary cholesterol doesn't influence blood cholesterol. The guy in the video vaguely mentions a few individual studies funded by the egg industry, which are designed to obscure the effect of dietary cholesterol (pic related) for marketing reasons, whereas when you look at data from many better controlled feeding experiments, dietary cholesterol has a clear effect, including raising LDL moreso than HDL.

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.549.6029&rep=rep1&type=pdf
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11333841

The guy then makes another common mistake in saying that the US dietary guidelines stopped recommending we limit cholesterol consumption. What actually happened was the Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee included that suggestion in their report, for which the USDA was sent a lawsuit because it was found that many people on that committee had financial ties to the egg industry

http://www.businessinsider.com/usda-sued-over-new-dietary-guidelines-2016-1

The USDA ended up not acting on that recommendation, and now the guidelines are more strict than they were before, advising people to eat as little dietary cholesterol as possible, rather than just under 300mg/d

https://www.choosemyplate.gov/2015-2020-dietary-guidelines-answers-your-questions

I wish people would look this shit up on their own from reputable sources instead of believing whatever crazy thing they read on a blog
>>
>>41410330
thank god i read this...havent been on here for months because its not /fit/ its /big/...and was almost proved correct by the first three responses here.
>>
>>41410439
>posts article
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.