[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What martial arts do you do? Thinking about training in BJJ.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 165
Thread images: 14

File: GABRIEL_VELLA_vs_ROMINHO_51.jpg (885KB, 1280x850px) Image search: [Google]
GABRIEL_VELLA_vs_ROMINHO_51.jpg
885KB, 1280x850px
What martial arts do you do? Thinking about training in BJJ.
>>
Aikido. Pretty cool and Zen, but nothing that makes you a good fighter in an instant. You need years before you can stand your ground against an opponent.
>>
pepper spray no jitsu
>>
Muay thai, and tried out BJJ yesterday. It was actually quite fun.

My muay Thai and BJJ is in sequence though, which is a bit exhausting. Especially considering I try to lift as well.>>41385914
>>
I do un-traditional taikwondo with a bro teacher.
we cover all sorts of self defense and other martial arts along with some traditional stuff too.
people always ask about what style is the best but i think the school the go to determines the most of your success.
>>
Jiu Jitsu is the most worth while thing I have done in my entire life. 7 years of training and it's still fun.
>>
File: u2C45Z_tvlM.jpg (123KB, 736x521px) Image search: [Google]
u2C45Z_tvlM.jpg
123KB, 736x521px
>>41385837
I'm a very skinny guy (178 cm/60 kg), wanna do bjj, but also want to gain weight in gym. Is it possible with weekly schedule 3 bjj workouts and 2 gym workouts?
>>
MMA with bjj being the focal point. It's a fun waste of time
>>
>>41386013
Bjj is a lot of calistetics so maybe
>>
File: 15794957074_55298ef1c2_h.jpg (750KB, 1600x1067px) Image search: [Google]
15794957074_55298ef1c2_h.jpg
750KB, 1600x1067px
HEMA

Once you're past the beginner phase (and escape the nerds, autists and neckbeards), and you set your sights on tournaments, you'll be rewarded with an unforgiving martial art where anything goes. Fencing on steroids. Fucking love it.
>>
capoeira.
make those squats worth it
>>
Kali. People think it's just about twirling sticks around. But it's not. It's similar to Krav Maga but I like how they focus on applying weapon based moves even without a weapon at hand.
>>
>>41385914

Aikido is a meme art. Do judo or bjj
>>
i have a jew nose and i'm terrified of getting it destroyed within the first week of training something

should i still go train this summer?
>>
>>41386327
Depending on the school, most of them avoid full contact level sparring(pussies) and at least the ones I've been to it is a courtesy before a round to set any limits as far as no go zones. A lot of them avoid busting your face because that looks bad at work
>>
>>41386327

You get used to it. I got a bloody nose from judo not an hour ago. It's not as fragile as you think.
>>
>>41385837
grappling, the wrestling forms are better like lutra livre, catch-wrestling, sambo.
>>
Iron knucles in the left pocket, retractable baton in the back, spray in the rigth pocket. Bro showed me a few sambo moves. Im easily intimidated.
>>
>>41385914
aikido is not a practical martial art

it's a waste of time
>>
>>41385837
MMA
>Goju Ryu Karate
>Kick boxing
>BJJ
>Submission wrestling
Thinking of doing boxing at a different gym to get better at it
>>
>>41385914
Aikido is the memiest art, aikido practitioners have turned many other borderline arts into full on memes too (former aikido teachers move on to teaching krav maga, wing tsun and even mma with little to no extra training).

Judo and BJJ will give you all the same shit and more, just do them instead. The only place aikido might have the tiniest edge is in falling real good and that's only because some of them work in theatre and film.
>>
Is there any point in starting martial arts if you're still fairly new to lifting, or is it better to get /fit/ first and practice flexibility for a while before going for your first class?
>>
>>41385837
add muay thai to that and youre pretty set
>>
>>41386647
Suck it and see. There is no reason you shouldn't get used to the extra stress but it's your call.
>>
I have a cracked knee from landing on a rock parachuting. I cant be on it for more than a few minutes at a time. What style should i try for?
>>
File: 20170510_065005.jpg (1MB, 2592x1458px) Image search: [Google]
20170510_065005.jpg
1MB, 2592x1458px
>>41385837
>What martial arts training do you do?
MCMAP (Marine Corps Martial Arts Program)
And some Karate! Sadly just a brown belt. ;-;
>>
Krav. It's my weekly cardio, more or less, it's like 75% "stun them and run away". It's fun and I can actually win fights (fully protected sparring only, obviously, I'm not going around looking for trouble). I did have to use some of the rescue techniques in real life and they do work, but it's not a very fun experience.
>>
>>41386666
Muy thai
>>
>>41386647
Martial arts at the adult level is pretty much just endurance training. I wouldnt take >>41386661 anons advice about sucking it since that's kinda gay but entry level is entry level and if you're up against someone with some self control then they usually don't mind going easy on you to practice execution of form
>>
>>41386730
Just say no homo.
>>
kyokushinkarate
>>
>>41386291
>Kali
Fuck no. That's a trash tier "martial art"
>>
I Judo
>>
>>41385837
>black belt TKD (stopped when I was 17)
>black belt Judo
>brown belt BJJ
Trained Muay Thai for 8 years, not any more, just do MMA once a week and BJJ 5x week. Also did some western boxing a few years ago.
Out of all those, I'd go BJJ every time. Depresses me that I wasted 11-17 on TKD when I could have been learning something useful.
>>
>>41386826
It's effective enough for Navy Seals, Marines, CIA, FBI and DEA. But sure, whatever man.
>>
>"martial art" that doesn't allow full contact sparring, only a lifeless partner to practice drills on at severely reduced speed
>effective
Also those agencies you mentioned use fucking firearms, what you posted is literally not an argument
Kali doesn't even look cool unlike another useless "martial art", wushu. Kali is a waste of time.
>>
>>41386088
you dont escape the autists. you become one
>>
>>41387541
whats wrong with tkd?
>>
>>41387693
Not him but i guess it's been gameified, like modern fencing.
>>
>>41387660
Kali/eskrima/arnis is the basis for most western baton training now.
>>
>>41386088

The issue I have with HEMA is its legitimacy. It's an attempted revival of a dead art. All the techniques are at best recreations of drawings and dubious at best. I couldn't do HEMA without the thought in the back of my head that we might look like retards to ancient people.
>>
>>41387541
I think TKD has some useful kicks to add to an mma arsenal. Particularly side kicks
>>
>>41387793
why, in mma/k one etc, is it muay thai background fighters who have success and not tkd background guys?
>>
>>41387824
They have more success because its better to practice a martial art that uses striking with all limbs + knees and elbows and includes clinch work as opposed to a martial art that focuses only on one aspect of striking.

There's more than a few guys that have a TKD background but, they don't practice it actively for those same reasons.
>>
>>41387750
you look like retards to modern people senpai
>>
>>41385837
Muay Thai. It feels like a refined version of rooster-fighting. Except you are the Rooster and everyone hates themselves.
>>
>5 years of BJJ
>7 years of Judo
>about a decade of Aikido

Dabbled in others, but lacked the time to stick with them.
>>
>>41387693
Same thing as Karate...
>Watch me kick this faggots ass
>Hi faggot, can you stand in this exact position so I can demonstrate my skills?
Don't get me wrong. My kicking is good because of TKD, but it's a small tool in my arsenal. I don't throw a lot of TKD kicks but, when I do, my opponent is usually surprised by them.
If someone told me they could only do one martial art, I'd recommend BJJ, Sambo, or a Judo school that teaches newaza. Doesn't mean striking arts are shit, but a striker who has no grappling knowledge whatsoever can very easily get fucked up by a BJJ white belt with a few stripes. The opposite is not true in my experience.
>>
>>41385837
Muay Thai, leaning more towards Dutch style instead of traditional though. Ramon Dekkers all day lads
>>
>>41387750

The Issue I have with Karate is its legitimacy. It's an attempted continuation of an old art. All the techniques are at best passed on to someones knowledge based on what their master taught them and drawings and dubious at best. I couldn't do Karate without the thought in the back of my head that we might look like retards to ancient Asians.

Heres something, its called convergent evolution. Their are only so many solutions to a problem and thus the styles become similar. The techniques become increasingly efficient and effective.
>>
>>41387824
Tkd has some good stuff but over all it's a worse kickboxing.
>>
>>41386800
osu. my school does some groundwork every month as well to be more well rounded
>>
>>41385929
>muay Thai and BJJ is in sequence
Dayum son. That's at least 1100 calories right there
>>
>>41390212
>It's an attempted continuation of an old art.
Not the revival of a dead art tho is it.

It still has a lot of shit in most styles straight out of white crane boxing.
>>
>>41386647
Do it right away. It'll help
>>
>>41385837
buttscooting is useless in a streetfight. Learn some striking - mt, boxing or kickboxing. Or even karate.
>>
>>41386486
BETA
>>
>>41386013
I did powerlifting and bjj 3 times a week and maintained weight, counting calories.

Just eat moar
>>
>>41385837
bjj is great for cometition and sportfighting, but in a real fight its no good to be rolling around on the floor with sharp rocks and broken glass everywhere
>>
>>41386088
Where do you do it m8? What are the good clubs???
>>
Hung Ga kung fu
I don't know anything about martial arts. I like kung fu movies so I went with kung fu.
>>
>>41393382
Sentence 2 out of 3.
>>
>>41386678
MCMAP is a meme devil. look into some BJJ
>>
>>41393382
i did it for a while, it felt more like a kind of hobby. did it for a year and learned literally nothing worth remembering
>>
>>41385837
Wrestling, used to do some BJJ on the side because I had a wrestling partner that was really into MMA.
>>
>>41393802
This
>>
>>41385837
Did Sambo for about 6 months in college. Never got to Fedor mode but had a lot of fun
>>
File: IMG_3169.jpg (89KB, 587x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3169.jpg
89KB, 587x720px
https://youtu.be/jx58_R_tAAU

MMA guy takes on two (one with bat).
>>
>>41392462
For the most part true, but I'll be damned if that Thai clinch isn't golden against just about any untrained schmoe
>>
Wrestled for 3 years, taking Muay Thai and BJJ for the past half year. Attended a few classes at an MMA gym. I'd say join an MMA gym, I learned alot more from my short time at a nice MMA gym than from my MT and BJJ gyms.
>>
>>41386088
>(and escape the nerds, autists and neckbeards)

Nice try, nerd, but literally nobody except nerds does sword sports.
>>
File: mfw when i see a joe thread.gif (3MB, 614x428px) Image search: [Google]
mfw when i see a joe thread.gif
3MB, 614x428px
>>41394971
Holy fuck that's insane.
>>41385837
The best combo is western boxing, sambo and BJJ it's how you can be the most complete elite fighter.
>>
>>41394971
FAKE AND GAY
>>
>>41396140
Lol. Every new UFC superstar would not agree with you. Kicking????????
>>
>>41386706
my entire training in krav for a year was literally kick them in the balls then elbow them in the face
>>
>>41387588
fillipinos suck and kali is trash

twirl some sticks like a fag while i stick my knife into your gut

then rape your ugly brown ass
>>
File: 1474236914490.webm (3MB, 360x640px) Image search: [Google]
1474236914490.webm
3MB, 360x640px
>>41392462
Striking is definitely important but completely neglecting ground game is ridiculous.

If someone actually knows how to grapple and you know nothing you are just fucked if they get their hands on you. Its better to have some knowledge than to be totally out of place the second they get close to you. Hell, even if they don't have knowledge and they manage to get you to the ground how much is being able to strike going to help you if you don't know how to get them off of you so you can stand back up?
>>
How do you lot fit in your martial arts training with your lifting routines?

Do you do them on the same day, then have your rest days in between?

Or do you do them on alternating days?
>>
File: bjj street self defense.jpg (61KB, 851x478px) Image search: [Google]
bjj street self defense.jpg
61KB, 851x478px
Get in my guard bro
>>
>>41393053
what was your program?
>>
>>41389025
Can you give us a rundown of each in your experience?
>>
File: Falcion and Messer.jpg (228KB, 2048x1182px) Image search: [Google]
Falcion and Messer.jpg
228KB, 2048x1182px
>>41386088
>Once you're past the beginner phase (and escape the nerds, autists and neckbeards)
iktfb
It's funny so many members stagnate at that point.
They don't lift or train hard, they just larp. They stay skinny fat or obese because "Muh sword is an equaliser..." Motherfucker you're so fat, and don't take this personal, if you tried to teleport behind me half your gut would be on the other side of the room still like some fuckedup Portal shit.
Fuck, you don't even NEED to enter the tournament scene, just have some self respect.
I specifically cross trained Oly fencing + kendo for about 60h each last year and now I'm just wrecking everyone in my club. Doing Judo and Greco-Roman this year so when it comes to Ringen and Amizarre they'll suck at that too.

>tfw you've outgrown your club but can't afford to move to Europa.
JUST
>>
>>41397140

how often does a street fight happen with a) no weapons and b) no friends to sucker punch you and kick you in the head? this logic is retarded
>>
>>41398520
Do you want to be pinned under a guy with a knife more than a guy without a knife? Do you want to be pinned under a guy while another kicks at your head?
>>
How expensive is BJJ usually?
>>
>>41398543
I was paying 85$ a month I think. That was 2 years ago though
>>
>>41398543
3 fiddy.
>>
>>41398543
Depends where you are.
>>
>>41397085
>Thinks it's about sticks
>Idiot doesn't know that it's being applied everywhere now and that it's actively being used in Flipland.

Now you're just being retarded.
>>
>>41398705
I can at least collab on this by saying my cousin was given some training in this on how to defend and the technical behind using it for his job hitting people with a wand when they get uppity during riot situations
>>
Kyokushin karate and judo.

Don't get all the karate bashing honestly
>>
>>41398803
They bash on karate and say kyokushin is the one legit exception
>>
>>41398803
Because today's karate isn't your grandpa's or even your dad's. Too pussified like most current arts that needed to survive in a world where a good chunk of profit comes off teaching pussy kids. My dad's nose is all kinds of fucked and both his pinkies are jacked. I on the other hand or trained under his buddy who became a teacher only lost a tooth
>>
>>41398822
Not all dojo's or teachers are the same anon. Kyokushin is a very brute style of karate in many ways. However, during training you should never get seriously injured. Bruises are fine and getting knocked out is rough, but breaking bones or losing teeth is really not supposed to happen. Those kind of injuries are not an indication of how hard your training was. It's just an indication of how inadequate your teacher was.

Fyi I'm a 2nd dan Kyokushin karate and I teach kids.
>>
>>41398822
I don't do Karate but our MA school has a Karate department. They use MMA style gloves and foot things just more padded so they can hit and kick more properly without hurting the other guy too much.
>>
id suggest deadlifting heavy as fuck for bjj, build up that grip strength
>>
>>41398963
>However, during training you should never get seriously injured
>Those kind of injuries are not an indication of how hard your training was

I never said that was an indicator of how well you were trained. I was simply pointing out how pussified the art has become in that training your body is devoid of any actual risk or harm. The level of hurt doesn't matter but when class has to stop because someone got hurt sparring then you're not teaching self defense. My dad's body is jacked because his sensei didn't do his job. Teachers teach, parents coddle
>>
>>41397140
I think that right there was just a good reason for skellies to eat more and lift heavier.
>>
>>41385837
Started out with judo for a about 4 years. I really liked it very similar to wrestling. then i did krav maga for about 2 years it was cool to learn about improvised weapons and how to fight in tight quarters, considering aikido for my next martial art
>>
>>41397457
This.

Anybody got tips?
>>
>>41398963
Bad injuries are nearly always a sign of a McDojo, it shows people trying to be badass but not knowing what it entails so just doing random dangerous shit.
>>
>>41397457
I lift MWF and judo TTh.
Also, when leading up to tournament, I add running on judo mornings, yoga on Friday evenings and 3 hours of sparring on Saturday. Don't over think it. Just think of your martial art as the cardio portion of your workout.
>>
6 months of bbj and you kick and bodybuilders ass guaranteed
>>
>>41399360
>Real world practical application.

They don't teach soldiers to shoot without live ammo out of fear the soldier might get a boo boo. People get hurt, that's life.
>>
>>41399202
He's jacked, his nose is fucked, his pinkies are fucked and if you wait a bit longer maybe a good bit of knee, hip, spine etc. problems come up that he didn't notice before.
>>
File: nastroenie-kendo-put-mecha-5214.jpg (85KB, 670x446px) Image search: [Google]
nastroenie-kendo-put-mecha-5214.jpg
85KB, 670x446px
>>41385837
I do Kendo
>>
>>41399389
Soldiers don't shoot at each other in training. Pussies.
>>
>>41399398

*teleports behind you*
>Heh, nice muscles. Can they stop Japanese steel?
>>
>>41399389
Do you think they shoot the real ammo at each other tho anon?

Good militaries do not actively try to hurt troops through stupidity either.
>>
>>41385837
Going to learn Krav Maga

Once you learn one jew secret you can open up the doors for the other ones
>>
>>41385837

>BJJ
>Blowjob-jobs

Why someone wants to do that and why it is anmartial arts?
>>
>>41399400
>>41399413
Soldiers don't train in 0 risk environments is the point
>>
>>41399446
They probably wear ear protection and other things I'd assume. And the danger to yourself of using a gun on a practice range is rather small compared to repeatedly getting hit in the face.
>>
>>41392462
>>41393179
And yet this is where most street fights end up. If you don't have rl as a reference, then just watch some videos.
I have two simple rules:
1. If the other guy wants to trade, I trade; if he wants to grapple (grabbing on, trying to get a headlock, etc.), I take him to the ground
2. If the other guy is significantly bigger/taller than me, take him to the ground

Butt scooting is something that you see in sports BJJ competitions. You should never try to fight off your back, no matter how good you think you are at it. It's a last resort and, if you end up there, your priority should be to sweep as quickly as possible.
My first coach was a contemporary of the older Gracies. He would literally make you sit out if you tried to pull someone into your guard.
Am reminded of street fight I saw in Thailand between a Dutch pro MT fighter, and an ex-college wrestler who'd come to coach at a local gym. The MT guy had around 6" on the wrestler. The wrestler took a couple of kicks and then proceeded to savage the Dutchfag for the next few minutes before we took pity and pulled him off.
>If you don't know how to grapple, you don't know how to fight, period.
>>
>>41398819
Goju Ryu ok too
>>
>>41399421
kek'd
BJJ is pretty good, I'm pretty /fit/ and grappling for an hour renders me twice as exhausted as any lifting session
>>
>>41399392
Nah, just his pinkies and nose. He does have a bit of a bad spine but that's from a car blasting through a stop sign at 40 and hitting the drivers side. Took 2 hours to get him out of the twisted metal. He never willing put himself in harms way but his training was never devoid of mistakes that actually had consequences. I doubt it was an every day occurence though. He still has spunk in him and it's scary how fast he can move to close a gap
>>
>>41399446
Who is in a 0 risk environment anywhere? But if you're doing things with no benefit that fucks your shit up you're retarded bud.
>>
>>41399488
>He still has spunk in him and it's scary how fast he can move to close a gap
How do you know?
>>
>>41399261
I heard judo is very hard to knees. Is it true?
>>
>>41399463
Videos show most streetfights are upright and do not go to ground in the sense you mean.
>>
>>41399462
True, it's small but ever present as a reminder to what your responsibilities to yourself and battle buddies are. People still die during training regardless
>>
>>41399529
People die taking a big shit on a toilet.
>>
File: kendo.gif (981KB, 450x253px) Image search: [Google]
kendo.gif
981KB, 450x253px
>>41399406
>>
>>41391018
yeah, not the best planning. But its fun though.
Im going to bring a snack today, and eat more now, just so i have some carbs to burn. Takes 3 hours before I am done with both disciplines.
>>
>>41399515
Depends on the instructor. Some are conscious about correcting people when they load a leg in a way that causes injury, others just let students power through it.
>>
>>41395768
What did you learn?

Is it reasonable to train MT and BJJ, and then at a later point attend some MMA classes? Just so I have some basics.
>>
>>41399568
>Me during Jigeiko
Yes, I also only wear a revealing sailor dress. I should switch dojos.
>>
>>41399499
Buddy asked why people criticize karate and I gave him an answer from the experience of those who came before me. My complaint was the coddling parents enforce into their kids training and how they mandate 0 risk environments. Is it that way everywhere? Probably not. Where do my complaints come from? Where it is prevalent. Breaking a bone gives you the benefit of never wanting to experience that again. It's suppose to be a learning tool, I never said it was. The defense in self defense is there for a reason. Remove that reason completely and you aren't learning to defend yourself since there isn't anything to defend yourself from
>>
>>41399704
Your forebears must be fucking retarded if they didn't realize breaking bones was a bad thing until it happened to them.
>>
>>41386088
martial arts not fucking larping
maximum kek
>>
>>41399513
Years after his accident some drunk was arguing with my mom by the bathroons when we were at dinner and he wasn't touching her for more than a few seconds before dad was out his seat and putting the guy in a wrist lock. I wasn't probably too dumbfounded to properly Guage time though
>>
>>41399537
People die saving lives
>>
Not any at the moment,but considering judo for sure.I have a strong grip and can easily throw people around.
It's a perfect match.
>>
File: CbllPkmVIAAtZ_7.jpg (76KB, 987x683px) Image search: [Google]
CbllPkmVIAAtZ_7.jpg
76KB, 987x683px
>>41387750
Looking like retards to medieval people? That would be HMB.
OK in some cases it may be closer to historical tournaments than a lot of people like to admit, but it's structured as a modern sport and, in a lot of ways, looks like one.

Doesn't stop it being fun as fuck, though.
>>
>>41399902

That's what I thought too, then I realised it's way more complicated than that and technique is far far faaar more important
>>
>>41399747
And I am sure soldiers don't know getting shot is a bad thing until it happens to them while they're in the middle of a shoot out. Which is why they're glad they never trained for said situation. All things carry inherent risks. My forebears having survived an environment where bones break when you make mistakes still seem to function just fine in the environment with people who avoided it. I'm sure masters of old would gladly teach a pussy like you though if you demanded training with no risks. I'm pretty sure the old text hold disclaimers about getting hurt
>>
>>41399918
I'm assuming you're replying to the judo thing.
Hey,I'll never know unless I try. Having an already strong grip has to equate to something,right?
>>
>>41399924
Didn't you just agree with him? You just said soldiers are glad to have trained in an environment without the risk associated with the real deal.
>>
>>41399924
>My forebears having survived an environment where bones break when you make mistakes still seem to function just fine in the environment with people who avoided it. I'm sure masters of old would gladly teach a pussy like you though if you demanded training with no risks. I'm pretty sure the old text hold disclaimers about getting hurt
Itosu Anko would more likely than not laughed your daddy and grandpappy out of whatever room they were in. He was really insistent on karate training being about strengthening bones, on developing fighting spirit in training without being exposed to risk, and that overtraining should be avoided.

Did either of them hurt themselves fulfilling something like military duty? No? Then they hurt themselves like a couple of retards for no reason. It happens, retards exist, but lets not take their training tips to heart.
>>
>>41399515
Not unless you go hardcore competition mode, which is when you risk getting injured.
>>
>>41385837
Kick-boxing competition on saturday
Currently in starvation mode just drinking coffee and eating a few vegetables to avoid dying. Tomorrow i'll stop drinking and make myself sweat to make sure I can pass the weight-in. Bought a new jumping rope, i'm all excited.
>>
BJJ for 4 months now, used to do Muay Thai for 1.5 years. I have to say BJJ is the most fun thing I've ever done. It's like the chess of martial arts.
>>
>>41398430
>BJJ
GOAT tier for groundwork, the standing work is mediocre (but no ban on leg grabs unlike Judo, so I have lots of fun with it). Ground work can get meme-tier due to the sports aspect but the basics are great.

>Judo
Leg grab ban and limited time on the ground suck, but standing work is excellent. Even with the leg grab ban, a Judoka who has been double legged twice is harder to double leg than a the average BJJ dude with equal experience. Ground work is technically sound but limited time means most people don't put in enough time to become great at it. Does teach you a far more agressive approach to submissions than BJJ.

>Aikido
Halfway meme-tier, halfway 'hilarious to use on other grapplers because they have no fucking clue what's happening'. Wrist locks on the ground are fun too. GOAT breakfalls and excellent footwork, stresses several important principles that are present but not specifically explained in other martial arts. Interesting, but not as a primal martial art.
>>
I'm thinking about taking up a martial art. Been looking for a while to decide which one or ones. Ideally I'd like to do a bit of a mixture. Or something where gaining belts is part of it.

I've narrowed it down to a couple of gyms.

One is just mma, going in it looked like a load of roid monkeys though so it put me off a bit, but it has a fairly well kitted out weights gym, so only one subscription.

There's another mma gym, specialising in different aspects on alternating days, with full mma sparring in the late evenings. Has a good reputation with a variety of styles, but it's quite far away and right in the city centre so its a bitch to get to.

One is pure BJJ taught mainly taught by a third level black belt, with other black belts assisting, very reputable and probably the best bjj gym for miles in any direction, and plenty of members are constantly competing at british/European level, And it's quite close by. Obviously the downside is it's just bjj.

One is a kickboxing/bjj gym, quite a new and small gym, so not really any good or bad reputation to speak of, bjj is taught by a black belt, has advanced sparring/mma in the later evenings. probably an equal distance as the purely bjj gym.

Can't decide to be honest, I'm leaning more towards the last 2, but they all have their positives and negatives.

Any advice lads?
>>
>>41402534
Any gym that teaches "MMA", is going to be a shit gym. Learn some practical arts like Muay Thai, BJJ, Krav Maga, completely separate from each other, and then look to specific instructors who specialize in combining those. "MMA" gyms are just a bunch of monkeys training as little as possible to get in the ring.
>>
>>41402728

The first one is the only one that advertises as just mma, and I got the same impression as what you mentioned.

The second one is legit (SBG) , they do train in a variety of styles on different days, and mma is one of them, but it's a bit far.

The last one is mainly kickboxing and bjj, but has mma on certain days to combine them.
>>
>>41402877
There isn't a single martial art that does everything right, but each of the "major" arts you see in modern MMA plays an integral part in rounding out a fighter. You should learn a practical striking art such as Muay Thai, and a practical grappling art like BJJ, and study them separately. After several years of training you can try to combine them. That would be the best way to round yourself out. MMA gyms are just going to show you "moves" and the essentials to keep you in the fight, but you'll never be an effective all-around fighter. Also remember that MMA is a sport. A seasoned MMA fighter is going to wipe the floor with your average joe, but without practical combat experience, they will be at a disadvantage to someone who doesn't follow their rules.
>>
>>41402936

Problem is I'm a poorfag.

There's one gym that's the best Bjj in the area, there's one gym that's the best Muay Thai, each will have its own subscription cost, which it probably more than I can afford.

Or I can join a gym that does both, but it's pretty close to mcdojo tier.

Or a gym that does both but the travel almost makes it not worth the trouble.

I would just like to be well rounded, I'm probably never going to compete in mma, or anything, and I don't plan on having any street fights.

It's more of a entirely /fit/ point of view, our bodies were made to be fighters, in my eyes it's the most athletic of sports, I literally see the top mma fighters as the pinnacle of goal bodies, regardless of aesthetics.
>>
>>41403046
Training is quite expensive. I spend around $300/mo for access to two training facilities.

If you want to get fit, go Muay Thai. Just make sure they're a gym that has a fight team. If they don't, they're more a fitness gym, which is fine, but you won't be able to train hard with some kid's mom who whines about how sweaty you are.

Muay Thai will whip you into shape very quickly as long as you're at a real Muay Thai gym with fighters, sparring, and coaches that aren't shitheads.
>>
>>41402064
The leg grab in judo was similar to the getting into the guard shit in BJJ, it became the dumbest looking crap in many matches.
>>
>>41402064
This guy has good opinions

T. Judo/wrestler/Bjj practioner for 5 years.

The thing people forget is you should be cross training all the ducking time.

Grappling is grappling, different sports have different takes on it.

If you do judo, make sure to wrestle a lot to get leg work in.

If you do Bjj primary, do judo so your stand-up isn't complete ass.

If you wrestle, do judo as an introduction to the GI, and submissions and an aggressive top based ground style.

Also any judo school worth it salt teaches loads of newaza and leg techniques.

Just find a good one
>>
>>41403150
I'm the dude you replied to. Which wrestling techniques do you find to be useful for Judo?
>>
>>41403046
You in Shropshire? If so, go to SBG. It's run by a legit dude. None of the other places are, regardless of the discipline. Otherwise you're going to Birmingham and I'm guessing that's a non-starter.
>>
>>41398194
Bench/squat/ohp/diddly (5x5 or 3x3) m/w/f
Bjj tu/th/fr, thursday was less intense, just tutoring no rolling
I did night shifts as a security guard sat/sun

Worked well, I got gold in my weight class for men's novice no-gi at my first tournament 3 months later, and bronze in my weight class in a powerlifting competition one week before the bjj tourney
>>
>>41403243
Mostly the mat work. The standing in judo is just better imo.

All variations of cradling people out of the popular turtle guard.

The best thing about wrestling that people don't realize is how they teach you fall, or rather not fall off of a takedown.

A judoka will reflexively breakfall to save their shit. Some senior in high school will be hard as shit to cleanly throw since they are going to drive an elbow or a shoulder into the mat before they fall.

I've dislocated three shoulders because of this habbit, but have missed clean throws on good wrestlers from the same.

At all levels of wrestling there's a do or die. I like that a lot
>>
File: Andre-Galvao1[1].jpg (154KB, 1024x550px) Image search: [Google]
Andre-Galvao1[1].jpg
154KB, 1024x550px
>BJJ is Super Smash Bros IRL
>People complain that SSB isn't a real fighting game
>They look at footage from tournaments and talk about how Mario's F.L.U.D.D. would be useless in Mortal Kombat

I like doing it you fucking faggot.
>>
take it from an ex pro. Any striking style is worthwhile after you get a certian level of proficiency
>>
>>41403328

Manchester
>>
>>41403439
>Yeah! Why don't you just buy a tablet? Digital images are actually effective.
>You will never find a real place to learn how to oil paint, you'll only find McPainting Places
>Why don't you just punch the easel?
>>
>>41385837
>1st degree blackbelt in TKD
>Wrestler
My instructor also knew aiki jujitsu so we needed to do that to pass, also my dad was a blackbelt in aikido and aiki so I practiced with him

If I had to pick one, I'd pick wrestling. Unless you're 285 heavyweight or hit a Vietnam vet instructor taekwondo is pretty dancy at most places. Wrestling will give you a good base on tumbling, falling, and grapples which you can take to other places.
>>
>>41403362
Much obliged anon.
>>
>>41397140
when will they learn
>>
>>41402936
It's the closest thing to a real fight you're ever gonna get, barring you going out on the street and starting shit with random people.
>>
>>41404119
I'm it sure if you're just venturing into cross training from one discipline, or have been for a while, but grappling is very much a rock paper scissors type deal.
Realise each art and their strengths and weaknesses, and channel your style to your opponents weakness.

If I'm grappling a wrestler, I'm going to use footsweeps, tai otoshi and uchimata, stuff not seen in wrestling.

If I'm grappling a pure Judoka, I'm going to be hitting legs like a mother memer.

If it's a bjj bro, I'm hitting fast osoto gari and being as fast and top dominant on be ground as I can.

Sambo guys are tricky, you just have to be better than them at handfighting.

This can go on and on with grecco guys, catch guys, aikido and so on and so forth. It's infinitely fascinating.
Thread posts: 165
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.