[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

SS vs. SL

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

Both are mentioned in the sticky, but is there a huge difference between the exercise done?

SS seems to get memed on a lot but never see SL brought up at all
>>
SL is the slighter worse version of SS, however some of the benefits are no oly lifts which might be intimidating to newbs and no bodyweight exercises which might be impossible for newbs. I did SL but wish I just read SS from the very start instead of being a lazy shitter.
>>
>>41328701
SL is just another SS variation.

Kethnaabs is the best SS variation for someone interest on looks (not high school sports as original SS). It's even endorsed by Rippetoe himself:
> http://startingstrength.com/resources/forum/mark-rippetoe-q-and-a/8177-kethnaab-rippetoe-workout.html

Basically, SS + Chin-ups + Dips + Curls (the upper body work that SS lacks).
>>
>>41328729
power cleans are what worry me about SS since I have a home gym. either afraid of the BB going rogue and breaking the concrete of my patio or my back going snap

I'm not a complete noob to lifting, but i have only been working with dumbbells up to the point. Was gifted a barbell/weight from my neighbor who had them in his garage and noticed my progress over the last few months with weight loss.
>>
>>41328819
Any lift you do should be started with the lowest weight possible to give you stimulus until you are confident in form.
Just get started, stop overthinking things.
>>
>>41328701

There's not that much difference. The point of these starting programs is that if you're new to lifting, you won't have the endurance to do a big complicated program with several different exercises. You want to activate the most muscle with the least amount of movements. The way to do that is compound barbell movements, such as bench, The Press, Squat, and deadlift.
>>
File: 1481632354813.gif (451KB, 450x340px) Image search: [Google]
1481632354813.gif
451KB, 450x340px
Power cleans scare me so I do SL
That's pretty much the only difference
>>
>>41328815
>tfw I've been doing kethnaabs all along
>>
>>41328815
>Basically, SS + Chin-ups + Dips + Curls (the upper body work that SS lacks).
But SS is mentioning all of these exercises and recommending at least chin-ups and dips. (and says you'll probably do curls anyway.)
>>
>>41328701
Yeah that's only the portion of SS until the Power Clean form looks good. After that point, you're supposed to be doing alternate Pull-Ups/Chin-ups (and adding weight to them if you can do 10-15+), as well as doing Back Extensions and Glute-Ham Raises.

>>41328815
Yeah it's morons like you that make the comment above necessary. SS has chins in it. He also doesn't object to adding barbell curls etc. PROVIDED it doesn't interfere with recovery. So pretty much Dips is the only thing added there.

Also, SS is a beginner STRENGTH routine that you're expected to graduate from in a few months. Literally no reason to worry about your bro bullshit when you can start your BB program after you've built a base of athletic strength and gotten a good grounding in the technique of the big barbell lifts. Also, for team sports etc., the lower body and posterior chain is much much much more important than the biceps or the way you look in the mirror.
>>
>>41328701
If your goals are general fitness/looking good, you don't need to do either.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.